Giles Pritchard
Australia
Shepparton
Victoria
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
For those who have managed to grab and play a copy already what level of complexity is this game?

I'll be grabbing a copy of this for myself regardless - it looks awesome.

I am wondering though, how well it could be played by my school games club - they love games with lots of cool minis. So what other games is this of a similar complexity to? Memoir 44, Nexus Ops, Heroscape, 'other' etc...?

Also - what length of time does it take - the games club has only so long each session.

Thanks in advance for any advice!

Cheers,

Giles.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Ramundi
Canada
Cornwall
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
With all those microbadges, you'd think you'd be far too busy playing the new LOTR:TCG that came out not too long ago.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Giles Pritchard
Australia
Shepparton
Victoria
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ha! I haven't got that one yet! Though I hope to play it soon enough!

Plus - as a bona-fide BGGeek there is no such thing as too busy playing a game to buy another - that's what game shelves are for! laugh

Cheers,

Giles.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Team Ski
United States
Dover
Delaware
flag msg tools
badge
CHOMP!!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
caradoc wrote:
For those who have managed to grab and play a copy already what level of complexity is this game?

I'll be grabbing a copy of this for myself regardless - it looks awesome.

I am wondering though, how well it could be played by my school games club - they love games with lots of cool minis. So what other games is this of a similar complexity to? Memoir 44, Nexus Ops, Heroscape, 'other' etc...?

Also - what length of time does it take - the games club has only so long each session.

Thanks in advance for any advice!

Cheers,

Giles.

I would say it is equivelant to Heroscape with one notch up for the complexity of the cards.

-Ski
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam B.
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's pretty simple. The rulebook doesn't do the *greatest* job of explaining things, but 1 or 2 turns in it'll all make perfect sense.

In a simplified nutshell, you've got an energy store of X that replenishes by Y every turn. Your turn only has three phases: Refresh (replenish energy and draw a tactic card), Deploy (spend energy to launch ships at your edge of the board or off a bigger ship that's carrying them), and Action (spend energy to 'activate' a ship which lets it move and attack. Your tactics cards cost energy to play, and let you do stuff like add extra weapons or heroes to ships when they deploy (all are pretty simple), modify something (i.e. spend A energy to make your fighters a bit more deadly this turn, or spend B energy to let a capital ship next to fighters make an extra movement), or respond to something (i.e. if you miss, spend C energy to re-roll).

Combat is actually pretty simple, you pick your weapons and targets, and if they're in range of the weapon you roll on a location grid (letter-number) to see if you hit or not. First you take down shields, then you damage hull. That's basically it. Different weapons get different #s of attacks or do different damage per successful attack, but it's very streamlined. No worrying about facing, defensive modifiers, etc.

There are other rules that come into play (ECM damage when you come up alongside an enemy ship, a 'sweet spot' on each ship that results in instant detonation if you hit it when the shields are down, etc), but all in all it's pretty simple and you'll have the hang of it after a turn or two.

They say you can play w/o the tactics cards for a simplified game, but i'd actually advise against it. The tactics cards are fantastic and add a ton to the game, and really force you to think about energy management.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cracky McCracken
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
caradoc wrote:
So what other games is this of a similar complexity to? Memoir 44, Nexus Ops, Heroscape, 'other' etc...?

it should fit right in with those three titles.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Narek Der-Sahakian
United States
Montrose
United States
flag msg tools
mbmb
My friends complain that Battlelore and Heroscape are too luck based because battle is completely dependent on die rolls. I'm assuming they wouldnt like this game too then?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Purple Paladin

California
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok, I played my first game today, so I can finally give a little opinion. I "almost" did not get this game because it sounded too simple. It's not.

The actual rules are only 9 pages (the rest is different missions). And I can almost see why they did not put them out for the public yet, because after I read the rules, I was still thinking "uh oh, maybe this should have been labled ages 8 and up".

But, when you start looking at the tactics cards, and the ship diagrams (not to mention 3 different variations of each ship), and then actually play the game, you see almost instantly that the rule book may be still waters, but the game runs deep.

We took our very sweet time each turn, and beleive me, I can see it will take me quite a while to master this.

I would say that, in a way, this games was simular to MTG for me when I first read the rules: "What's that? All I do is play land cards till I have enough land to play another card?!? OMG, is this going to be like Uno or Go Fish or something???"

But just like MTG, you'll find each card, combined with other cards, combinded with different ships, combinded with which ships you launch/activate, combined with limited energy to use all of the above, can make your head spin at times.

I would rate it complexity 3 to learn, and 7 to play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Gee
Canada
St Catharines
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
narek23 wrote:
My friends complain that Battlelore and Heroscape are too luck based because battle is completely dependent on die rolls. I'm assuming they wouldnt like this game too then?

I would say that there is less luck in this game compared to Battlelore or Heroscape, but I've only played a couple of games of each of these 3. Due to the way the dice work in Battleship Galaxies, there is a high hit probability. I personally felt that planning, energy management, and the use of tactics cards had much more influence on the outcome of the match.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam B.
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
narek23 wrote:

There is definitely a luck factor in rolling your hit locations (and I guess in what cards you draw into your hands), but it doesn't feel too luck dependent. The randomness of hitting scales based on the ships: bigger ships cover most of the available space in the hit grid (2/3 to 3/4 it feels like) so attacks on them are usually going to hit, smaller fighters are more 50/50 in grid coverage, which kind of makes thematic sense (you can imagine small fighters zipping all over the place being harder to hit)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Purple Paladin

California
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I found the luck factor near perfect in this game. Multiple times I was bitting my nails hoping my enemy would miss me.

I was really ticked of by the luck factor once (in 3 games). Saved up some energy, then using a couple cards, swooped in with 3 ships to finish off my friends battleship. I missed just enough so he survived. I was SO ticked at first, till I saw my friend sigh in releive, take his hand from off his mouth, and relax his shoulders.

So my perfect plan failed, and my friends counter attack was the beggining of the end for my fleet. But I would not have had it any other way. . .
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Herrera
United States
Highland
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Cracky wrote:
caradoc wrote:
So what other games is this of a similar complexity to? Memoir 44, Nexus Ops, Heroscape, 'other' etc...?

it should fit right in with those three titles.

That was the reply that I was looking for....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Giles Pritchard
Australia
Shepparton
Victoria
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow!

Thanks for all the detailed responses!

From the comments on the play this looks like a game I'll really enjoy. Thanks!

For the others who compared the game and gave me an idea of the complexity level - thanks! I think I'll grab a second copy for my school's game collection. The kids would love the look of the game - and it sounds easy enough to mod if absolutely necessary.

Thanks!

Cheers,

Giles.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.