Popular Tags: [View All]
Michael Panikowski
United States
Burbank
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Beasts of the City from ANZAC Attack

Continued and finished ANZAC Attack today with my good gaming buddy Ken Tee. In this last scenario Ken once again command the Republic of South Vietnam Army while I took control of the NVA Army.

This scenario is in part the battle of An Loc and was designed by Peter Bogdasarian. The NVA must try to exit the two T-55 units from the map to maximize the NVA's victory points. The NVA also receives VP's for eliminating ARVN units. In contrast, the ARVN units must delay, stop, or destroy the tanks from exiting the map. The ARVN units also receive points for eliminated MMC or SMC counters.

From the NVA players prospective it was going to a tough scenario. The map(section 3) has a lot of buildings making it tougher to use the T-55's and the buildings provide good cover to the ARVN units armed with Laws and a Bazooka. What I planned to do was to use the T-55's as cover for my infantry and to use their fire power to help my advancing units.

I split my forces and moved down both sides of the map. Using one T-55 to cover my right flank I was able to get two squads into a building and eventually move them closer to the ARVN units.

On my left flank I sent a T-55 in to draw fire, but to keep it 5 or more hexes from the Laws to keep their hit effectiveness range low. On this side I used my Leader with his Eagle Eye skill to spot a hex and then use the T-55 to fire on it. I was able to inflict some casualties resulting in the ARVN unit to retreat. This allowed my squads move into a stone building to Melee and get better cover. The result was the elimination of the lone ARVN squad, but a loss of a NVA squad. This result was not good for the NVA because the ARVN player receives double the amount of points for eliminating NVA units as compared to the NVA for eliminating ARVN units. Also, the NVA have less squads to start the scenario. This wasn't all bad for the NVA because it allowed some room for my other T-55 to move closer to the map edge. This movement would be delayed by the entrance of a ARVN Hero with a Bazooka by the Order of Battle instructions on turn 3.

As I was advancing down both sides of the map, I tried to swing a T-55 around the right side, but I was cut off. Their was an exchange of fire, but neither side was able to score a hit. The question to be answered on the next turn, who would get the initiative? The ARVN army was able to gain the initiative, consequently firing on and destroying the T-55 tank.

As the scenario progressed, the ARVN Hero on my left flank retreated further back into a building allowing me to move my T-55 into position to exit from the board. The next turn the NVA got the initiative and exited a T-55 to earn 6 valuable VP's.

Exiting my T-55 tank forced a change of strategy on both sides. I as the NVA player now tried to back away from Ken's ARVN forces to keep from suffering any more casualties and Ken now realized he must pursue me and earn VP's since exiting the tank allowed me to take a one point lead.

As I retreated I tried to slow down the approaching ARVN units by having covering fire. It came down to a fight in a building that would decide the game. The advancing squad and Hero shook off one opportunity fire and then advanced next to the target unit. The targeted Melee units managed to shake the squad and leader, but not the Hero(Heroes don't shake). The Hero advanced in for the Melee attack to gain valuable VP's, but as it turned out, the Hero failed the die roll attack and the NVA squad eliminated the Hero. This result allowed the NVA to retreat far enough as time ran out to earn narrow victory. This scenario saw our strategies change as the scenario progressed and pushed both players to adjust. A well designed scenario.

Enjoyed the scenario and enjoying the LnL system.

Mike

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Bogdasarian
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Glad you guys enjoyed it. The scenario features a lot of violence in a very small space and the momentum can swing quickly

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mochara c
Canada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That's a great scenario. Thanks for the AAR.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.