18AL» Forums » Rules

Subject: Count cities twice if shared between routes? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
United States
BEAVERTON
Oregon
flag msg tools
If i am running 2 routes and the two routes both end at a particular city, do i get to count the value of the city twice?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Petersen
United States
St. Louis Park
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
leiavoia wrote:
If i am running 2 routes and the two routes both end at a particular city, do i get to count the value of the city twice?

Yes
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Lutz
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
No is the correct answer... from the rules:

Quote:
(g) The route cannot include any city, town, or off-board location more than once. Different arrows in the same red area are considered to be the same location.

BOb

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Murphy
Australia
Pyrmont
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
pilotbob wrote:
No is the correct answer... from the rules:

Quote:
(g) The route cannot include any city, town, or off-board location more than once. Different arrows in the same red area are considered to be the same location.

BOb

I'm not sure how you read the original question, but he is specifically asking about two routes, whereas the rule you quote talks about the validity rules for a single route.

You may not use the same piece of track for two distinct routes, but if there are multiple track approaches to a city (whether you end or pass through it. Cities are magical and don't have track inside the circles) you can certainly count it for multiple routes.

A big city with 6 exits could in theory be counted for 3 routes that passed through it, or 6 distinct routes that ended there! (or some combination of both)

B>
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Lutz
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You are right of course, I didn't read "two routes" as "two trains".

Sorry for the misunderstanding.

BOb

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
BEAVERTON
Oregon
flag msg tools
Oh, good then. This seems to make the 2 and 3 trains extra valuable in the early game, especially if you can overlap the pricey spots or strategic placement of the coal fields.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Murphy
Australia
Pyrmont
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
leiavoia wrote:
Oh, good then. This seems to make the 2 and 3 trains extra valuable in the early game, especially if you can overlap the pricey spots or strategic placement of the coal fields.

The possibly tricky part is that every route must have one of your tokens on it somewhere.

B>

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Lutz
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
leiavoia wrote:

Just remember you can't use the same track twice. So if you have a straight and a curve going to a city hex you can only run 1 train into that city.

BOb

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Murphy
Australia
Pyrmont
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
pilotbob wrote:
leiavoia wrote:

Just remember you can't use the same track twice. So if you have a straight and a curve going to a city hex you can only run 1 train into that city.

As per the tile encyclopedia

http://www.18xx.net/tiles/18AL.htm

There are no "curve plus straight" running into a city. I'm not sure I've seen one. If you mean on the tiles approaching the city, then another way to think of this is that two different routes can't pass through the same side of any hex on the board.

B>

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J C Lawrence
United States
Campbell
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
pilotbob wrote:

Let's not be sloppy. I presume you are referring to tile #23 and #24?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Lutz
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
clearclaw wrote:
pilotbob wrote:

Correct, and 25, 26, 27, 28, 29 as well.

BOb

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Murphy
Australia
Pyrmont
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
pilotbob wrote:
clearclaw wrote:
pilotbob wrote:

Correct, and 25, 26, 27, 28, 29 as well.

BOb

Given that they would run into an obvious single track stub on the city hex, I don't feel this is a necessary clarification for this thread. Even so, the hex side explanation works.

B>

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.