United Kingdom
Winchmore Hill
London
flag msg tools
Lv 30 Lawful/Evil Human Dungeon Master
badge
In Toruk's name!
mb
The rulebook seems reasonably clear that to explore an unexplored system, you require 2 speed. However, it goes on to say that they are considered one hex further away.

When moving to an unexplored system from Central, do you need 2 speed or 3? The rules seem to state 2 but if it really is one further, should it not be 3? and what if you travel from a rim system to an unexplored system on the other side of the map (4 hexes) still a speed of 2? that definitely seems odd.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vasilis
Greece
Heraklion Crete
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You always count the unexplored system hex as 2 hexes when calculating the required Speed in order to move there. If the unexplored system is NOT adjacent to you then you have to count each additional hex as 1.

So if you want to explore an unexplored system that is 3 hexes away, you actually require 4 speed to get there in a single turn. {But you still need only 2 Fuel}
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Timo Multamäki
Finland
ASKA
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Vasilis is absolutely correct on this. Thanks.

Also, make sure to always use only the latest rulebook. Older ones
are far more ambiguous.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Davies
United Kingdom
Winchmore Hill
London
flag msg tools
badge
In Toruk's name!
mb
Thanks for the replies, I assume it did work this way but the rules weren't clear. I'm using the 411 rulebook from March which appears to be the latest, so maybe you want to revisit this section?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Timo Multamäki
Finland
ASKA
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Darke wrote:
Thanks for the replies, I assume it did work this way but the rules weren't clear. I'm using the 411 rulebook from March which appears to be the latest, so maybe you want to revisit this section?

4.1.1 is the latest published rulebook.

How'd you feel that the Movement section should be updated
for this problem to disappear? Revision suggestions are always
welcome.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Davies
United Kingdom
Winchmore Hill
London
flag msg tools
badge
In Toruk's name!
mb
Current rulebook (pg. 7):

Movement to an unexplored Star System Hex requires a total speed of 2 or more, as unexplored Systems are considered to be one Hex farther away.

I think this might be clearer if you state

Movement to an unexplored Star System Hex requires an additional speed, as unexplored Systems are considered to be one Hex farther away. Your spaceship therefore requires a speed of at least 2 to explore an adjacent unexplored system.

It might also benefit to show a 'longer' unexplored jump on the diagram, perhaps adding another line to the green ship, showing him spending 3 to get into the top hex of the board.

I appreciate this sounds picky, sorry!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Timo Multamäki
Finland
ASKA
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks. We will try to see what can be done for updated rulebooks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael B. Hansen
Denmark
Odense N
flag msg tools
badge
"duck duck duck duck duck duck duck duck duck duck duck duck duck duck duck duck" Ralph Wiggum .....
mbmbmbmbmb
Bowmangr wrote:
You always count the unexplored system hex as 2 hexes when calculating the required Speed in order to move there. If the unexplored system is NOT adjacent to you then you have to count each additional hex as 1.

So if you want to explore an unexplored system that is 3 hexes away, you actually require 4 speed to get there in a single turn. {But you still need only 2 Fuel}

I know i am contradicting both this poster and the designer here, but according to the rulebook(page 7 section B):

"Movement to a known Star System Hex consumes 1 fuel unit, regardless of the number of hexes traveled."

Section C then deals with Hyperjumps into unknown Star System hexes.
If you are supposed to count all the hexes in between the start hex, and the end hex, then both rules are wrong.

Maybe it could be justified if Hyperjumps were considered a different beast all together. I think the added complexity would be bad, and not really necessary though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vasilis
Greece
Heraklion Crete
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Architeuthis wrote:
Bowmangr wrote:

I know i am contradicting both this poster and the designer here, but according to the rulebook(page 7 section B):

"Movement to a known Star System Hex consumes 1 fuel unit, regardless of the number of hexes traveled."

Section C then deals with Hyperjumps into unknown Star System hexes.
If you are supposed to count all the hexes in between the start hex, and the end hex, then both rules are wrong.

Maybe it could be justified if Hyperjumps were considered a different beast all together. I think the added complexity would be bad, and not really necessary though.

I believe that you are confusing Speed with Fuel here. If not please clarify.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael B. Hansen
Denmark
Odense N
flag msg tools
badge
"duck duck duck duck duck duck duck duck duck duck duck duck duck duck duck duck" Ralph Wiggum .....
mbmbmbmbmb
You are absolutely right.

I realized it and came here to edit, but there is no need now.

Thanks for clearing it up
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.