Recommend
2 
 Thumb up
 Hide
28 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » General Gaming

Subject: I am an expansion junky rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Thijs Lauwbierkoffie
Netherlands
Amersfoort
Utrecht
flag msg tools
www.spellenclubapeldoorn.nl
badge
Kom spellen spelen bij de Spellenclub Apeldoorn!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
More than 50 % of the items I own are expansions.
I am not a completist, but I play the games I own a lot, that is why I think I need the expansions.

Are there more people out here with a collection existing out of more expansions than base games.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Dearborn Heights
Michigan
flag msg tools
Fizzgig need food badly!
badge
Click on Fizzgig to feed him a tasty snack. Nom, Nom, Nom!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Unless you start developing track marks with oddly meeple shaped figures running down them, then I would not worry.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Laura BlueFrost
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
Avatar
mb

I love expansions too and for me a game with expansions has more value than just a base game because I know if I buy the base game and I like it a lot then it can keep me busy for awhile.

 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek Anderson
United States
Ennis
Montana
flag msg tools
There is nothing better than playing board games with my 4 sons!
badge
There is nothing better than playing board games with my 4 sons!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Perfect timing, I just sat down last night and made a list of the expansions I am missing for the games I enjoy the most so I can make some purchases...
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith W
United States
Redmond
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Expansions are a great way to expand your collection. Especially when you have a pact to not purchase any NEW games, because expansions are just additions to the current game and don't count >.>
11 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Gazdecki
United States
Lindsey
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I used to buy expansions, but I've come to the realization that most of the time I don't even play the base game enough to get value out of the expansions. So now I'm trying to buy more base games and less expansions, and only buy expansions if they make the game better for solo/2-player play (if the base game doesn't have that, like Catan or Race for the Galaxy). If I really like the game, then I might still buy them anyways, but those are so far relatively few.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean
United States
Mechanicsburg
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
I don't want happiness by halves, nor is half of sorrow what I want. Yet there's a pillow I would share, where gently pressed against a cheek like a helpless star, a falling star, a ring glimmers on the finger of a hand.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I love expansions too, especially when they are really needed
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Wheelock
Canada
Woodstock
New Brunswick
flag msg tools
badge
David Malki drew this!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Hmm. 18 base games owned, and 15 expansions owned (most of them being Carcassonne expansions). I'm keen on a couple of Agricola expansions, and I'd love to get Race for the Galaxy, Small World, and Power Grid, all of which will inevitably lead to difficult decisions about what expansion to get first. I can definitely see having more expansions than base games by the time I get my hands on my wishlist.

In addition, I'm about to buy an expansion that I don't yet own the base game for... if that's not a symptom of a deep psychological problem, then I don't know what is.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Lane
Canada
Victoria
BC
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello, I'm Bryan and I'm... an expansion addict.

I keep drawing the line in the sand for arkham expansions, but then the next one just looks so good...

...I probably need help. I suppose there are worse things to be addicted to, but then that might just me be rationalizing laugh
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
fightcitymayor
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
"This is a really weird game, and you’ll find that most people will not want to play this."
Avatar
mb
it becomes a kind of built-in rationalization:

"If this game weren't so awesome, it wouldn't have all of these great expansions!"

feeds into

"I am buying these expansions because the base game is so awesome!"

... and then you've signed your next 2 paychecks over to Fantasy Flight.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Sommer
United States
Racine
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Carcassonne is my current #1 played game by a mile. I got a free copy of The River in my base game, and I've since bought Inns & Cathedrals, Traders & Builders, and The River II. I bought a copy of the 10th Anniversary edition partly to get the Festival expansion.

To date, I have never used a single expansion in play.

My head realizes this is kind of silly, but I just can't help myself-- I want them all!

 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reis
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmb
Man, you should really use the Inns & Cathedrals expansion. It adds so much with just a little bit and integrates seamlessly into the experience you already love.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Kolman
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
I am a big expansion junkie! If I get a game, I pretty much have to get all the expansions for it....barring ASL of course. ASL is too expensive!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Warren
United Kingdom
Wisbech
CAMBRIDGESHIRE
flag msg tools
designer
badge
"Elves are very good at board games, and I'm NOT an elf!"
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
SommerMatt wrote:
Carcassonne is my current #1 played game by a mile. I got a free copy of The River in my base game, and I've since bought Inns & Cathedrals, Traders & Builders, and The River II. I bought a copy of the 10th Anniversary edition partly to get the Festival expansion.

To date, I have never used a single expansion in play.

My head realizes this is kind of silly, but I just can't help myself-- I want them all!


Don't worry, you'll soon see the error of your ways... just buy The Catapult expansion and your problem will be cured! Don't buy that until you've acquired Abbey and Mayor though.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon New
United Kingdom
Taunton
Somerset
flag msg tools
designer
Text coming soon... probably...
badge
Get tipsy and fight a farmer with Strength 3
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
The core of my collection is based around Talisman in all of its forms and Runebound, so I think my games collection is most definitely expansion-based!
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Hutchings
United States
McMinnville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
16 base games & 11 expansions. It's not quite an even split but I'm still looking at some Memoir expansions.

The Terrain Pack specifically because of a scenario that a friend, that I was playing earlier today, and I had made up. After we'd finished he said "It'd be great if we had some pontoon bridges." and I said "There are rules for that."
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Sommer
United States
Racine
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Oops... forgot to mention I also just bought The Phantom.

JoffW wrote:
SommerMatt wrote:
Carcassonne is my current #1 played game by a mile. I got a free copy of The River in my base game, and I've since bought Inns & Cathedrals, Traders & Builders, and The River II. I bought a copy of the 10th Anniversary edition partly to get the Festival expansion.

To date, I have never used a single expansion in play.

My head realizes this is kind of silly, but I just can't help myself-- I want them all!


Don't worry, you'll soon see the error of your ways... just buy The Catapult expansion and your problem will be cured! Don't buy that until you've acquired Abbey and Mayor though.


Well, I'm not THAT much of a sucker. I did a little research as to which ones seemed to fit into the game best, and which ones were highly regarded here in BGG. I was going to buy the BIG BOX 3, but resisted because the Princess & Dragon expansion seemed a bit silly. I might still buy Abbey & Mayor, King & Scout, and Bridges, Castles, & Bazaars someday.

Definitely no catapult.

Luce wrote:
Man, you should really use the Inns & Cathedrals expansion. It adds so much with just a little bit and integrates seamlessly into the experience you already love.


That what I've heard. My friend and I are still new enough to Carc that the vanilla game is all we need to have fun. When it gets a little boring, we'll hopefully throw some of these other expansions into the mix.

 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Garcian Smith
United States
Northridge
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's arguably a better value. Think of it this way:

Person A has 2 games and an expansion for each.

Person B has 3 games.

Whenever Person A plays a game, he is using a product + an expansion. Person B however, only uses 1/3 of his items at any time.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Gertz
United States
Lake Forest
California
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I have been the same way in the past, I generally buy the core game and all the expansions in one go rather than playing the core game and deciding if I should expand it. Now I tend to buy the core game before buying any expansions, new games gives me a larger variety.

I will say that I like games with expansions because I know the company is supporting the product beyond just putting it out there.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Sommer
United States
Racine
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Gertz wrote:
I will say that I like games with expansions because I know the company is supporting the product beyond just putting it out there.


On the other hand, a massive list of expansions can really intimidate someone looking to buy the base game for the first time. Being in that position, I can definitely attest to feeling kind of nervous about buying something like SMALL WORLD or MEMOIR 44 when I see so many extras "needed" to be purchased.

Of course I realize that most good games will play perfectly fine by themselves. Still, I start to worry and imagine I won't get the "full experience" without all of the expansions... makes me glad sometimes to know that there is one and ONLY one box needing to be purchased.

2 
 Thumb up
1.00
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Hutchings
United States
McMinnville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
SommerMatt wrote:

On the other hand, a massive list of expansions can really intimidate someone looking to buy the base game for the first time. Being in that position, I can definitely attest to feeling kind of nervous about buying something like SMALL WORLD or MEMOIR 44 when I see so many extras "needed" to be purchased.


I feel that too it's probably one the bigger reasons I've never gotten into Dominion despite all the good I hear about it.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Sommer
United States
Racine
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Kyrus wrote:
SommerMatt wrote:

On the other hand, a massive list of expansions can really intimidate someone looking to buy the base game for the first time. Being in that position, I can definitely attest to feeling kind of nervous about buying something like SMALL WORLD or MEMOIR 44 when I see so many extras "needed" to be purchased.


I feel that too it's probably one the bigger reasons I've never gotten into Dominion despite all the good I hear about it.


I bought the original Dominion box set, although I haven't had a chance to play it yet. I find something like Dominion really weird, though, since so many of the "expansions" cost just as much as the original game. Makes me feel like I'm buying the same game four or five times.

 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Clague
New Zealand
Hamilton
Waikato
flag msg tools
badge
I can see my house from here!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I love expansions (been there, got the microbadge: mb. My collection is closer to 1/3 expansions, however.

To me, expansions are one of the great things about this hobby, and what keeps the games fresh. I like knowing that I will never have two games of Dominion that are the same. (And yes, I know that there are more than enough variations in just the base set.)
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Lundström
Sweden
Täby
flag msg tools
Now who are these five?
badge
Come, come, all children who love fairy tales.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
fightcitymayor wrote:
it becomes a kind of built-in rationalization:

"If this game weren't so awesome, it wouldn't have all of these great expansions!"

feeds into

"I am buying these expansions because the base game is so awesome!"


Add to that "This expansion will make the game EVEN AWESOMER and thus the game isn't REALLY COMPLETE without this expansion!

fightcitymayor wrote:
... and then you've signed your next 2 paychecks over to Fantasy Flight.


You forgot that the paycheck may actually even go to Fantasy Flight too. Or, it might actually go to Fantasy Flight instead.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Lundström
Sweden
Täby
flag msg tools
Now who are these five?
badge
Come, come, all children who love fairy tales.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
SommerMatt wrote:
a massive list of expansions can really intimidate someone me looking to buy the base game for the first time. Being in that position, I can definitely attest to feeling kind of nervous about buying something like SMALL WORLD or MEMOIR 44 when I see so many extras "needed" to be purchased.

Of course I realize that most good games will play perfectly fine by themselves. Still, I start to worry and imagine I won't get the "full experience" without all of the expansions... makes me glad sometimes to know that there is one and ONLY one box needing to be purchased.


You nailed it.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.