Subject: Incorporating Board Gaming into Wedding Reception rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
alex lai
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmb
Hi All,

My fiance and I are planning to get married in February 2012 and are trying to find some way to incorporate our interest in gaming into the evening.

We don't want to go as far as actually playing games, but maybe something along the lines of when guests initially arrive and instead of signing a traditional guest book or wishing tree maybe have something game-related for people to sign (i.e. i saw an example where people sign the side of jenga blocks etc). We are expecting around 250-300 people in attendance so trying to get ideas for something that would fit this many people.

If you have any ideas or suggestions, it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dennis Bingham
Germany
Herford
NRW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Have giant inflatable meeples. Gotta have 'em.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
alex lai
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmb
LOL. That would be awesome! any idea where I can find some, or get them made?

The reason why we thought of the guest signing book is that it's something we can eventually go back to and read everyone's comments and well wishes etc. Not sure if we can do that with inflatables unless everyone signs them, but then how do you preserve them? Signing a board and then framing it might be a possibility, or every time you play a game (i.e. jenga) you can read the comments etc.

but trying to find something suitable, or how to pull it off is the key question.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dennis Bingham
Germany
Herford
NRW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nah the meeples was just a spontaneous idea that popped into my head. For signatures or something i would definately go a different route.

Maybe have each of the guests pull a Dixit card out of the deck and have them write their thoughts on you two on the cards when they see the dixit picture. That'd be a very unique Dixit set in the end!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Samantha RD
South Africa
Harrismith
Free State
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Make big wooden meeples of yourselves as ringbearers and get people to sign those...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James To My Friends
Netherlands
Eindhoven
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
How about during the wedding itself instead of simply saying 'I do' roll 2 d6 and check the Vows Response Table.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron
Austria
Vienna
flag msg tools
“It's all in the mind.” ― George Harrison
badge
Devoted Follower of the Most Holy Church of the Evil Bob. Possessed and down the road to become chaotic, evil & naughty. All hail the Evil Bob and his Stargate.
mbmbmbmbmb
Buy a deck (or many decks) of blank cards, a few non-erasable markers and request that every guest creates a card for you.

You get a deck of 60 blank cards here for example: Nix.

All the best for you two!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gilad Yarnitzky
Israel
Reut
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
How about a wedding cake with a gaming motive?
here is an examples I found:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paolo Robino
Italy
Dueville
Vicenza
flag msg tools
"I'm a Nay Saying worm beast!"
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
grubb wrote:
My fiance and I are planning to get married in February 2012 and are trying to find some way to incorporate our interest in gaming into the evening

When my good friend Daniele married the lovely Elena, tables at the dinner party were named after boardgames (if I recall correctly, I was at the Once Upon a Time: The Storytelling Card Game table), and the wedding favors were Cocktail Games (I got Loco Motive).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Divide the wedding party into two groups and the bride and groom set them up like chess pieces. Qho ever wins, thats who decides whos last name will change. Oh and Jello-O wrestling. Trust me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wesley Kinslow
United States
Piperton
Tennessee
flag msg tools
↳ Do one brain damage ↳ Do one brain damage ↳ End the run
badge
Real heroes wear pink.
mb
ycyclop wrote:
How about a wedding cake with a gaming motive?

I would be content to have bride and groom meeple wedding cake toppers. How cute would that be? I'm sad I didn't think of it for my wedding, actually.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dennis Leung
United States
Half Moon Bay
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Congratulations on the upcoming wedding! I made a geeklist a while ago with some neat examples of people incorporating gaming themes into their weddings, where you might get some ideas: Gaming Special Occasions (Weddings, Birthdays, and More!)

I do like the guest signing idea. It would give you a special memento of the occasion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CJ
United Kingdom
Colchester
flag msg tools
badge
mb
When I first saw the title of this thread my immediate response was 'Are you f%*king mental!?'. However, after reading the post I see what you're looking for and realise that you aren't. I can't really offer you any advice but I am glad you're not mental. Have a good wedding day.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James King
United States
North Central Louisiana / No Longer A Resident of the Shreveport/Bossier City Area
Louisiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

grubb wrote:
Hi All,

My fiance and I are planning to get married in February 2012 and are trying to find some way to incorporate our interest in gaming into the evening.

We don't want to go as far as actually playing games, but maybe something along the lines of when guests initially arrive and instead of signing a traditional guest book or wishing tree maybe have something game-related for people to sign (i.e. i saw an example where people sign the side of jenga blocks etc). We are expecting around 250-300 people in attendance so trying to get ideas for something that would fit this many people.

If you have any ideas or suggestions, it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

My idea will allow your wedding guests to eat their cake and even permit some of them to take it home with them, too. But it will require an investment that should hopefully pay you even happier returns weeks and months down the road.

My idea is for you to acquire a dozen or more copies of the "Piece o' Cake" card game (by Rio Grande Games), each one of which would be played at each of a select number of participating wedding guests' tables.

The winners at each table would then square off against together in the play-offs by playing a bigger-than-life-size version of the game (which you would have to make yourselves) that would allow all the seated wedding-reception guests to view the finals games in progress from a distance from where they're sitting. (You'd probably have to use an open section of floor upon which to play the larger-than-life cake-slice cards.)

(Special Note: The person who uploaded this image to BBG labeled it as "Wedding Cake".)

In either case, the winners of the "Piece o' Cake" games at each table would automatically win the copy of the game that they were playing at their table. I would suggest giving the eventual overall winner an appropriate gateway game that might later open doors to possibly getting them involved or more involved in strategy gaming on a regular basis.

Now, it's unlikely that all of your reception guests will be game to play "Piece o' Cake", so you need only select 60 participants (if you purchased a dozen copies of the game).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
alex lai
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmb
Thanks everyone!
All great ideas. now to see if i can play with these.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
If you enjoy any games with characters, you could make a character card for each member of the wedding party.

If you like meeple games, you could have meeple centerpieces.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Norman Mueller
Germany
Schwerte
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've seen people designing a trump game with artscow, and they handed out copies to their guests.
Every card had a guest on it, and the trump categories were things like "knows the couple since.." or "party factor".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Blaiberg
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Looks like my idea has already been done.

Rather then table numbers, name each table after a boardgame - then enhance this further by using some theme of the game on the tables themselves. For example, on the Carcassonne table you could provide meeples for people to sign

I like the Jenga idea, but people wouldn't be able to write much on a little block....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kerrin Addis
Australia
Melbourne
VIC
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Alex

Sound like fun! Can I come?

Kerrin

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.