Popular Tags: [View All]
Serge Levert
Canada
Vancouver
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Again, what you mean by "enough" is not clear.

Also, unlike Rebel Vs Imperium, The Brink of War requires using all previous expansions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guido Gloor
Switzerland
Ostermundigen
Bern
flag msg tools
The statement below is false.
badge
The statement above is correct.
mbmbmbmbmb
I really wouldn't suggest playing the base game with TBoW only. It would tremendously imbalance everything.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Serge Levert
Canada
Vancouver
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Rebel Vs Imperium would be the answer to your question then. You can leave the goals in the box, put all the cards in with the base game, and play with takeovers off.

Brink of War, you cannot.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
nishadham
United Kingdom
Bristol
Avon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Fluffy James wrote:
Does The Brink of War (3rd expansion) contain enough new cards to expand the base game ... I know The brink of War offers the new mechanic "Prestige", but this question concerns expanding only the base game mechanics with new cards for added variability.

Not so much that Brink of War "offers" the Prestige mechanic, more that the expansion is entirely built around the Prestige mechanic, and it's not an optional rule!

mb

But if you want to see for yourself, take a look at this page (all the cards in BoW) and count how many don't have a pink prestige dot somewhere on them.
http://rftgpics.fortunecity.com/bow.html
Not counting the corrected Galactic Federation, I make it 11 cards out of 40. In my view, and considering the rules as written, that's not "enough" cards.

I agree with Entranced - if you're only playing Base Game rules, go as far as Rebel vs Imperium. But once you're used to those, I cannot recommend Brink of War enough for the full Race experience!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Lehmann
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
Fluffy James wrote:
Does The Brink of War (3rd expansion) contain enough new cards to expand the base game [and] do the new Phase Powers blend in nicely with only the base game mechanics?

No. Brink of War requires the prestige mechanic introduced in this expansion.

Either the first expansion (without goals) or the second expansion (without takeovers) can be used in this manner, but not the third expansion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Serge Levert
Canada
Vancouver
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Fluffy James wrote:
I think I'm going to buy the 2nd and 3rd expansion anyway

Just to be sure it's clear:

Base = OK
Base + TGS = OK
Base + RvI = OK
Base + BoW = not OK
Base + TGS + RvI = OK
Base + RvI + BoW = not OK
Base + TGS + RvI + BoW = OK
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
entranced wrote:
Fluffy James wrote:
I think I'm going to buy the 2nd and 3rd expansion anyway

Just to be sure it's clear:

Base = OK
Base + TGS = OK
Base + RvI = OK
Base + BoW = not OK
Base + TGS + RvI = OK
Base + RvI + BoW = not OK
Base + TGS + RvI + BoW = OK

FYI
I first noticed these on one of the PBF threads and been using them ever since, but, for yellow, green, red, and blue, you can use these style tags instead to get color in. I've found them much easier to work with than the square brackets and "COLOR" keywords (click QuickQuote to actually see the tags).....

RED
Not the correct IMPERIUM Faction.

GREEN
Feline Uplift Race

YELLOW (although some end up doing it the hard way like this instead since this one is much easier to see and read.)
Alien Orb expansion
Alien Orb expansion

BLUE
Made Up NOVELTY World.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Serge Levert
Canada
Vancouver
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ackmondual wrote:
for yellow, green, red, and blue, you can use these style tags instead to get color in. I've found them much easier to work with than the square brackets and "COLOR" keywords (click QuickQuote to actually see the tags).....

Had no idea such tags existed, thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd McCorkle
United States
Anderson
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ackmondual wrote:
for yellow, green, red, and blue, you can use these style tags instead to get color in. I've found them much easier to work with than the square brackets and "COLOR" keywords (click QuickQuote to actually see the tags).....

Nifty!

Does it only work for those 4 colors or are there more?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kusinohki wrote:
ackmondual wrote:

Nifty!

Does it only work for those 4 colors or are there more?
Sadly, it only works for those colors. Well, if it does work for more colors, then they certainly don't work with just a single letter. They may require multi-character labels.

For one of the PBF games, they're trying to see if one of the admins can implement purple as well, since that's a color that's used rather often ('p' I believe will be the tag? Who uses pink anyways?). For us, we don't really need it, but we could also use purple for IMPERIUM, and light brown for TERRAFORMING would be nice
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.