Melee» Forums » Rules

Subject: Double and Triple Damage rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Stuart
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmb
Heh, dusted a game of Melee off this morning and rolled a 4 on a "to hit" roll, meaning the attack does double damage. For some reason I find myself now asking the question, what exactly does that mean? Does a player have the option to roll double the number of dice to determine damage, or can they only double the amount rolled normally, as expressed in the sample combat situation at the end of the booklet?

It's been awhile since I owned Advanced Melee, so I've long-since forgotten how double and triple damage was resolved in it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
My memory is that the damage is doubled, simply. Roll damage as usual, and double it.

If you rolled twice as many dice, you'd be changing the distribution and lowering the variance so that the result is typically much closer to the expected result and the extreme high and low results are much less likely.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Gallo
United States
O'Fallon
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, roll normal damage then double it.

I recall a house rule we implemented after a particularly amusing string of events. My opponent rolled 3 or 4 of these double damage rolls in a row and each time he rolled damage he rolled a '1'. We decided that rather than double the damage we would just assume a second 'maxed' roll added to the regular damage roll.

So, if you had a d6+1 weapon, the double damage would be: d6+1 + 6+1.

Looking back on that years later I realized that that was probably the wrong thing to do, but it worked for us at the time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kent Reuber
United States
San Mateo
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You double or triple the actual number rolled as others have said.

As I recall, in the Fantasy Master's Codex, they explained that triple and double damage is actually the lowest/2nd lowest roll available. So, if your opponent is dodging (requiring you to roll 4 dice) a roll of 4 is triple (not double) damage and a roll of 5 is double damage.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Bucey
United States
Lancaster
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
My opponent rolled 3 or 4 of these double damage rolls in a row and each time he rolled damage he rolled a '1'.

(grin) The group I played with also thought such a thing was annoying, but on the other hand we also thought doubling (or tripling) when the damaged rolled was high was to much of a good thing. We decided:

1) a roll of '5' adds '+1' for each damage die normally rolled

2) a roll of '4' adds '+2' for each damage die normally rolled

3) a roll of '3' adds '+3' for each damage die normally rolled

So, for example, if you normally do 2d+1 damage and you roll a '4', you actually roll 2d+5 for damage; if you roll a '3', you actually roll 2d+7 for damage
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Gallo
United States
O'Fallon
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
cratex wrote:
Quote:
My opponent rolled 3 or 4 of these double damage rolls in a row and each time he rolled damage he rolled a '1'.

(grin) The group I played with also thought such a thing was annoying, but on the other hand we also thought doubling (or tripling) when the damaged rolled was high was to much of a good thing. We decided:

So, for example, if you normally do 2d+1 damage and you roll a '4', you actually roll 2d+5 for damage; if you roll a '3', you actually roll 2d+7 for damage
That would make a bit more sense than what we did.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Holder
United States
Centennial
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
cratex wrote:

Nice, I like it! May have to give your variant a play sometime.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
joel siragher
United States
silver spring
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
martimer wrote:
Yes, roll normal damage then double it.

I recall a house rule we implemented after a particularly amusing string of events. My opponent rolled 3 or 4 of these double damage rolls in a row and each time he rolled damage he rolled a '1'. We decided that rather than double the damage we would just assume a second 'maxed' roll added to the regular damage roll.

So, if you had a d6+1 weapon, the double damage would be: d6+1 + 6+1.

Looking back on that years later I realized that that was probably the wrong thing to do, but it worked for us at the time.

There are two schools of thought for doubling. This issue even comes up with my D&D group.

doubling a 1d+1 weapon could be done as:
1) roll 1d6+1 = 5 for example, and double that = 10

or

2) roll 1d+1 and then another 1d+1.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.