Ryan Sturm
United States
Lancaster
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So we played this the other day and Ted Alspach is an evil, evil man. He likes to impose suffering on others, though we seek it out by playing Age of Steam, this map takes the suffering to greater heights of awfulness.

Anyways my rules question, in seeing the map I insisted to the group that the ferries required urbanization as every Age of Steam expansion I have ever played have included that rule. So this is the rule we played with making an already brutal map, even more painful. ( Granted I loved every minute of it )

Though I see Brad's session report and he allowed players to connect into the ferries without urbanization. I probably should have assumed that since it didn't specifically state it it wasn't the rule I was just going with the ferry rule used in about ten other expansions. So what do you think?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ted Alspach
United States
Louisville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Preorder Ultimate Werewolf Legacy now from beziergames.com
badge
Ultimate Werewolf Legacy
mbmbmbmbmb
RyanSturm wrote:
I insisted to the group that the ferries required urbanization as every Age of Steam expansion I have ever played have included that rule.

You were correct. After all these years of expansions, it's easy to forget that not everyone "knows" that rule (which isn't part of either base game). But yes, you must urbanize a town before you can claim a ferry to it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Sturm
United States
Lancaster
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you for the clarification Ted, and for a brutally good time.

In 100 or so games of age of steam I have never seen all players struggle so much as we did with survival on that map. I only avoided bankruptcy because a player backed down from an urbanization bid that could have crushed both of us. I had 10 shares on turn 2 for cripes sake! Our first profit was turned on turn 6 of 7 And the winner had 33 points? I think the fifth place player had a score of -33

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Suszka
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Final scores:
Isaac: 18+15=33
Mike: 24+8=32
Ryan: 18+11=29
Paul: -18+16=-2
Andrew: -33+12=-21

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ted Alspach
United States
Louisville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Preorder Ultimate Werewolf Legacy now from beziergames.com
badge
Ultimate Werewolf Legacy
mbmbmbmbmb
RyanSturm wrote:
Thank you for the clarification Ted, and for a brutally good time.

In 100 or so games of age of steam I have never seen all players struggle so much as we did with survival on that map. I only avoided bankruptcy because a player backed down from an urbanization bid that could have crushed both of us. I had 10 shares on turn 2 for cripes sake! Our first profit was turned on turn 6 of 7 And the winner had 33 points? I think the fifth place player had a score of -33

That's awesome. I hadn't published Atlantis for a long time because it was so nasty. I remember a playtest (Steam) I did of it at BGG con one year...I took a picture of the players and they were SO depressed looking. Kind of the least amount of fun anyone could have, it looked like. One of those players was eliminated (and this was basic Steam, which is not at all that common). I personally love the brutality and misery!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Norgren
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmb
I love the misery, I just don't like that in the end it basically comes down to what random cubes are drawn from the bag as to who goes negative. In our particular game, we were all within 5 income points of each other 2 turns from the end. I personally needed red to emerge, but zero red cubes were placed on atlantia in the last 2 turns, thus minus 12 points on the income track in the last 2 turns and a nice negative score. Why not have a bidding for what cubes come out?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Suszka
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Andrew, if you've put yourself in a situation where you need one color to come out of the bag, it's not the map's fault.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Norgren
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmb
I agree that ideally it's a great plan to not be dependent on a color, but it's simply not possible on that map for all players to do that. If there were only reds and blacks spit out in the last 2 turns, instead of yellows and purples and blues, the game would have ended dramatically differently. I am not saying that the game should have ended differently or it's anyone's fault, I just think that the random cubing in the middle is asking for trouble on a map that is so color polarized.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Glenn Margewich
United States
Clifton
IL
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
OK, I'm one of the newer players that does not "know all the prior expansion rules." What exactly is meant by a player urbanizing a town before claiming a ferry to it?

1) I assume that the circles with $6 are ferry routes?
2) So, I have to urbanize Hynaeus before I can claim a link over the $6 leading to Arike ?
3) What is the $3 circle connecting Lelia and Arike, and how is it played ?

Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Sturm
United States
Lancaster
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes the standard ferry rule is that you cant build a ferry until the town the ferry connects to is urbanized. This will make this map even more brutal

The circle is essentially a minilink. A player may build that as one of their three builds. It counts as a piece of track for a point and for a link for making deliveries. So you can deliver through it, just imagine there was a piece of track between those two cities but it is really really small. Only one player may build it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Glenn Margewich
United States
Clifton
IL
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Am I correct in assuming that only one player can claim any one ferry route?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Sturm
United States
Lancaster
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes. The ferries count as one of your builds and as one piece of track for scoring purposes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.