Subject: 4 player game without Khorne? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tor Øksendal
Norway
Oslo
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm going to introduce three guys to CitOW today and wonder if I should drop Khorne or the Horned Rat. I fear that Khorne will slaughter the table if he's in. Is a 4 player game with the Horned Rat, Slaanesh, Nurgle and Tzeench good?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian Grawan
Germany
Lehrte
Niedersachsen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My two cents: only play the Rats with 5 players. In my humble opinion the whole experience of CitOW suffers when not all Chaos gods are involved in corrupting the Old World.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Warren Denning
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah I think just the base four with the new cards will provide a big enough difference that you will enjoy yourself.

However, if you are going to drop a character for the Rat I think Khrone is the one to do it. Everyone else has enough ways to field warriors to help keep the Rat from having an out right advantage.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary
United Kingdom
Brighton
East Sussex
flag msg tools
badge
oooh that tickles!
mbmbmbmbmb
I would recommend leaving the Skaven out - especially as there are new players. The rats have their own set of rules for domination, ruination etc. and trying to explain these in addition the rules for the chaos gods is going to make it harder work for the rules explainer(s).

Co-incidently, I played a four-player game without Khorne yesterday. There was very little conflict until the third turn and areas ruined much faster, and Tzeech took a points victory in the fifth.

I don't think there's any problem with including the Skaven in three or four player games, but it's just not a good starting point for those new to CitOW.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played 4p without Nurgle, and without Khorne, and without the Horned Rat. All configurations were fine, and Khorne didn't run away with the dial.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Todesco
United States
Chicago Suburbs
Illinois
flag msg tools
Read it again, carefully...
badge
Hey! I bought OverText! I'm cooler than you!
mbmbmbmbmb
Funny you should mention that, we just played a Morrslieb game sans Khorne, after the last game where we played Morrslieb without Tzeentch. It played surprisingly well-- although at first we didn't know what to do with ourselves, but it was very close. (And there was more fighting than we expected.)

However my issue is with a different phrase of your post--
moons wrote:
I'm going to introduce three guys to CitOW today

I'd NEVER introduce new players directly into Morrslieb, ESPECIALLY if you have only 4 players. The cards in Morrslieb are too powerful and too easy to not understand how the gods are supposed to interact. Play the base game with them first.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tor Øksendal
Norway
Oslo
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Desco wrote:
The cards in Morrslieb are too powerful

Hmm. some say the vanilla cards are more powerful and that the new morrslieb cards are more balanced, so I'm not sure. It seems some overpowered or very powerful cards from the base game are gone and some new overpowered or very powerful cards popped up in morrslieb.

Which powers(Gods) do you think have more powerful cards in morrslieb?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris K.
Germany
Berlin
Berlin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I do believe that a lot of the cards have more complex interactions than in the Vanilla deck.

In Vanilla games most cards are rather direct in how they benefit you or hurt somebody else. In the morrslieb set I do get the feeling that there are a lot more comboworthy things happening, which will not be spotted by players still learning the basics of the game who are still trying to grasp the nuances and interactions that the base mechanics offer.

So I do very much favor introducing new people to the base game and then later on going with the expansion.

Edit asks for an example: Being able to stop a multiple skitterleap by locking some or all necessary figures in place with a Hate may be one example of interactions that are not apparent to new players. There are a few others between upgrades and cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Todesco
United States
Chicago Suburbs
Illinois
flag msg tools
Read it again, carefully...
badge
Hey! I bought OverText! I'm cooler than you!
mbmbmbmbmb
chrisdk wrote:
Being able to stop a multiple skitterleap by locking some or all necessary figures in place with a Hate may be one example of interactions that are not apparent to new players. There are a few others between upgrades and cards.

I'm SOOO glad Khorne wasn't in this game. I was firmly planted in Kislev, and skitterleaped both the Empire and to Bretonnia. The only player who saw what was happening was playing Nurgle, and there wasn't a damn thing he could do about it. The others just thought "why the hell is he playing cards into The Empire when there's going to be so much fighting there?" heh.

I agree with everything Christoph said. I have a feeling if anyone was crazy enough to play this game with some gods using base game decks, some gods using Morrslieb, the gods using Morrnslieb would destroy the base game gods.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr Suplex
msg tools
rashktah wrote:
My two cents: only play the Rats with 5 players. In my humble opinion the whole experience of CitOW suffers when not all Chaos gods are involved in corrupting the Old World.

I agree completely. My group only puts the rats in when we have 5 players.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Farrel Foster
New Zealand
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
moons wrote:
Hmm. some say the vanilla cards are more powerful and that the new morrslieb cards are more balanced, so I'm not sure.

On a related note, there are a lot more unanswered rules questions in Morrslieb, just because there is no official FAQ yet.
For that reason alone I would use the base set to introduce new players, then spring horned Rat on them once they are hooked.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.