Jonathan Ramundi
Canada
Cornwall
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
1) Re: A reply made to a commenter on July 3rd:

I'm eager to see what the KS backers come up with in terms of new tactics and exploits, and we'll take as much time as is needed to incorporate what we learn from the KS beta before the final game goes to press.

I'm just wondering: Is the "final game [that] goes to press" the copy that those who pledged $50+ (Knights) get? I want to be sure that, should I contribute, I'd be getting the most polished, play-tested, and up-to-date version of the game.

2) The FAQ indicates that contributers will receive a "4th pack of [bonus] cards" included in their games. Is/will there be any way to distinguish these cards after the fact, such that they can be removed from the deck if a person wants to set up a "basic" game of Lyssan?

3) If I choose to be a contributer (which is looking likely at this point), being an international customer, am I to assume that in order to achieve a level of 'Knight' I must contribute $70+ ($50 + $20 for international customers as indicated by the FAQ), or will I simply have to pay for shipping at some other point in time before receiving my copy of the game?

Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Brown
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
1) You will absolutely be receiving the most polished, playtested version of the game possible. Lyssan has already been in playtest for over a year, and been put in front of dozens of testers, several with many plays under their belt, testing not only the immediate fun of the game, but how well it wears with repeat plays. Given the number of possible card interactions an the breadth of strategies available, it's important to test the game with a broadest possible audience, to assure that no true exploits exist. The primary notion of the KS Print & Play beta is to assure you of getting the most polished game possible, when it has finally gone to press.

2) The bonus promo cards kickstarter suporters get will be marked with a small icon similar to the set icons used in collectible card games, so they can be separated out.

3) As an international customer, the added 20$ covers your cost of shipment. No other payment is required.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Ramundi
Canada
Cornwall
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Great, thanks for answering my questions.

I first heard of Lyssan only three days ago through an add on this website, and after doing a little more research on it this morning--reading blog entries on Lyssan.com and watching the video on Kickstarter.com--I was left seriously considering its purchase.

It's just about everything I've been looking for in a board game since becoming interested in the hobby; deceptively simple mechanics with incredible strategic depth, reasonable play time, a fair number of players, and amazing artwork that's not only pleasing to the eye, but adds to the game's theme and immersion; the medieval-esque setting of Lyssan even represents my favorite period of human history.

Rest assured that I will be backing this project within the coming weeks. Unbelievable; this game came out of nowhere and is already a must-buy after having just learned about it, as I mentioned, only 3 days ago.

I have a few more questions for you:

1) I believe you remarked in another thread that a draft copy of the rules will be available to read very soon. When will gamers get a chance to see some pictures of the game's components (any version)?

2) When is the earliest I could expect my Kickstarter copy of Lyssan to ship/arrive? Latest?

3) What are the size of the cards in the game (I assume they're all the same size)? Standard American (63.5x88mm), or something else? How many are included in the KS version of the game?

Thanks again, and congratulations on Lyssan. It must feel great to see a vision, not only come to fruition, but to be so highly appreciated and anticipated/enjoyed by a great number of gamers like yourself.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Brown
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Great to have caught your interest!

More answers:

1) Draft rules: Any day now. I got the how-to illustration sheets for the print & play from Joyce just before the weekend. I've inserted those into the rules, and now there's just a proofreading and tuning pass to make the text work with those illustrations. It shouldn't take long, it's just something I need to do when I'm fresh to avoid stupid mistakes and the last few days have been on the madcap side.

2) I'm expecting a ship date in Spring 2012 right now.
Here are the hard numbers on the timeline:
Complete kickstarter campaign: 1.5 months
Kickstarter/Amazon release funds: 0.5 months.
Printing & Shipment from the printer: 3-4 months
Total: 6 months.

Add that all together, and the earliest I get copies to ship out is mid-January. Now I'm planning for those dates to slip a bit. The beta is a true beta, - the game WILL be adjusted in response to what the P&P beta players find. After a year of testing, I find that most tests don't produce any rules or card tweaks anymore, but getting the game into the hands of 100 new playtesters with different approaches to the game is sure to give a take on things that I hadn't yet seen. We'll take however much time it takes to polish the game in light of what the P&P beta testers find. Inserting a month or two of slip in response to P&P feedback between end of KS and sending it to the printers; Now I'm expecting a real ship date in February or March of 2012.

3) The cards are standard CCG size: 63.5x88mm indeed. The base version of the game includes ~94 cards*. There should be at least a dozen promo cards for KS supporters - those numbers are more in flux than the core set. Any unbearably cool ideas that P&P beta players submit are likely to show up as promo cards, too.

- - - - - - - -
* Counting cards:
94 cards = 60 influence + 12 triumph/trophy + 18 debt + 4 master/puppet.
Exact count subject to tweaking during testing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Ramundi
Canada
Cornwall
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow. Sounds great.

I look forward to reading the rules and look forward to receiving the game when it finally ships. Should come at a perfect time, in fact--when I'll be in need of something new and exciting. The estimated shipping date will be right around my birthday as well, wouldn't you know.

Thanks a lot for taking the time to address my questions/concerns. It really makes a good impression on the board gaming community when a designer or publisher takes the time to personally address such issues and inquiries.

Hopefully this thread will help inform other potential fans looking for more information on Lyssan, and hopefully it will also leave them seriously considering its purchase.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.