A.T. Selvaggio
United States
Webster
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have thinking about buying this, but not sure. I have the base game and it seems like the benefit of the game is its portability and the ability to play it anywhere. The expansion adds some cool stuff and chrome (looks pretty!), but it seems to defeat the niche purpose for the game. I guess if I want a board, terrain and bits I would play something like Combat Commander, LnL, CoH, etc. I mean moving counters seems like a better idea than something that is card sized. So, can anyone convince me?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Byron Collins
United States
Suffolk
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A.T., thanks for picking up the base game- I'm glad you're enjoying it

The base game (Frontline General: Spearpoint 1943) will still serve its purpose as a portable card wargame and is absolutely a good way to play it. The map-based expansion has some cool benefits beyond that awesome art by Marc von Martial... it builds on the base game's phases and keeps the combat system pretty much intact. It does go a bit more in depth by adding a movement phase, line of sight, spotting for artillery, aircraft flight paths, terrain effects and tiles that set up differently each game (and some that can even be destroyed and flipped to reveal the ruined side), and more scenarios specific for use with the expansion.

The other cool thing that's not mentioned here in the BGG entry (yet) is that the map expansion will also expand the upcoming second base set (Eastern Front). That winter defensive line could easily be terrain on the Russian Eastern front- one reason I chose a winter setting for the flip side of the map. There will be specific map-based scenarios for Russian / German units as well.

So in summary, the map expansion adds some of the things that were abstracted in the basic card game by design in order to keep the base game simple and at 1 sheet of rules, provides more depth and tactical decisions to think about, and yet still remains a simple game that’s easy to get out on the table.

Just returned from Origins (Columbus, OH) and Historicon (Valley Forge, PA) where we took a lot of players through demonstrations of the first scenario (see below) using the base game with the map expansion and ALL players who played it loved it. Here are some comments I can remember (though I can’t remember the sources, sorry!):

"This is ingenious. Well done."
"I really like this- there are a lot of nuances here."
"Line of sight here is very intuitive."
"The terrain really helps protect those infantry units that seem a bit fragile in the base game."

As it is still on P500 (preorder) it is not yet available- all of the photos you see are of the prototype. We need about 170 more direct preorders until we hit "print". If you have any questions on how it plays or anything, please let me know!

Demonstrations of Scenario 1 at Historicon 2011 (Valley Forge, PA)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A.T. Selvaggio
United States
Webster
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks. That explanation was really helpful in seeing the value of this. Awesome pics too!

Will you be at WBC by any chance?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Byron Collins
United States
Suffolk
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks!

I will not be at WBC this year- it's my second son's first birthday during the same week, so can't skip that

You wouldn't believe how many times I was asked that same question at Historicon and Origins.

I will however be at a smaller show in Williamsburg the weekend after WBC called Guns of August- good little show and lots of fun! Here's the link to that show's convention site if you're interested-

http://odms-club.com/convention/index.html
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.