Catan» Forums » News

Subject: Catan for iPhone/iPod touch 'upgrade' nearly breaks the game rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Leah Dixon
United States
New York
flag msg tools
is no upgrade at all. The graphics have been severely downgraded, the portrait mode play gone, and any previously unlocked maps (including paid expansions) now have to have some kind of cheat applied to restore. If you have an older unupdated Catan app on your iPhone or iPad, don't upgrade it until you've seen the difference. I think it's a tremendous backwards step for the game - the graphics are less attractive and less readable at the same time. There's three differetn tilesets you can choose from, but the character info is jaggy as all get out. Maybe it's better on newer phones with the 'Retina' display I keep hearing about, but on my older iPod touch it looks terrible.

The older version was IMHO one of the best ports of a boardgame to an interactive touch electronic game I've seen; the only quibbles I had with it were small. They took that and turned it into a game I never want to play.

They assured me they are working on an improvement, but I honestly don't trust their judgment if they let this release get through QC. I still have the old version on my iPad and I'm going to hold onto that until they fix the new one. If they don't fix it, USM Games is dead to me and I will never spend another cent on anything they make.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff K.
msg tools
mbmbmb
Agreed. New version is harder to see and feels clunky. I also preferred to play in portrait; I don't even know if landscape was an option before.
On the plus... It looks like you can play against just two cpu opponents now, but I haven't confirmed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.