Erik D
United States
Pasadena
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
All I'm going to say is I was going to give up on the game when Brazil took the 2-1 lead in overtime so I could get to my ultimate frisbee league on time. Totally thankful I stuck it out. One of the most incredible finishes I've ever seen.

Seriously, they played better with 10 than 11. Chalk it up to conditioning. Brazil looked exhausted.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik D
United States
Pasadena
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Actually. I will add to it. This game is exactly why I love sports. It's also why I believe in karmic justice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Kahnt
United States
Youngstown
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
It's fun, it's healthy, it's good exercise. The kids will just love it. And we put a little sand inside to make the experience more pleasant.
badge
You know, they say there was a man who jumped from the forty-FIFTH floor? But that's another story...
mbmbmbmbmb
I heard that the reffing was horrible... or one sided...

Can you explain?

-DK
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Exit 191
United States
Buckeye
Arizona
flag msg tools
Look to the past and learn for the future.
badge
Let go Jets!
mbmbmbmbmb
Just watch the highlights on Sportscenter to get the flavor of the refs.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik D
United States
Pasadena
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DKahnt wrote:
I heard that the reffing was horrible... or one sided...

Can you explain?

-DK

US player with a yellow card made a pretty deliberate handball. Ref showed her leniency. Could've been her second yellow otherwise. This was the only bad call in US's favor.

US commits a foul in the penalty area. Player sent off with a red and penalty kick awarded. Replay reveals Brazilian player jump kicked at the ball and wasn't actually fouled. US keeper saves the penalty shot, but ref declares a rekick due to the US keeper coming off her line before the kick. The replay showed she didn't.

Early in overtime, Brazil scores when they were offside. That wasn't called either.

So yeah, the officiating was miserable, but it also looked like the US used that to fuel them. They played better with 10 than 11.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M C
United States
Mount Dora
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I only caught from the second half on. What an amazing game and a gutty performance. That one ref was terrible.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Erak, has listed the Ref stuff pretty spot-on, imho. HOWEVER, the offsides complaint for the 2nd goal is almost too close to complain about...I've seen that kind of thing all-too-frequently.

Everything else sucked from the ref, though...she needs to not ref at this level again for a while - or until she can get better.

Great, amazing job by the USA. Stunning, really.

France will be tougher than people think, though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
fightcitymayor
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
"This is a really weird game, and you’ll find that most people will not want to play this."
mb
Alright, here comes the haterade:

I've watched 4 matches so far in the WWC, and I'm unconvinced that women's soccer is viable. Between the truly atrocious play and the even more atrocious officiating, the games have been a total crapshoot. When Japan beat Germany, it wasn't because Japan was that much better, or really even that good at all. It was just Germany having an off day. In today's match, the USA had no cogent strategy other than "kick ball far, hope Abby Wambach can get there, be sad when she can't." And Brazil, for all the flashy talent upfront, seemed to just sleepwalk through the entire game. Add in the absolutely incompetent reffing (you didn't see that intentional handball? really?!) and it ceases being any sort of exhibition of skill and it just devolves into petty nationalism with female athletes running around. They could have put little tiny jerseys on hamsters, given them a little tiny soccer ball, and the relative outcome would have been the same.

I realize that even at the best levels of international competition, mistakes can be made in both play and officiating. But when these women basically commit unforced errors on 1 of every 3 touches they make, and refs can't seem to get basic rules correct, there is no sport here. It's just a sad exhibition with people waving flags, and it makes me yearn for the top-level talent of the Pittsburgh Riverhounds vs. the Rochester Rhinos.

p.s.
I'm sure the team USA win and Hope Solo's face will be all over the news after this win, but it doesn't make the caliber of play any better.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I won't argue that the skill on display has been uneven, that much is true (to some extent) nor would anyone disagree about the crap officiating (though we don't watch the games or cheer for the teams because of the reffing).

However, to say that Japan won because Germany had an off day is pretty ridiculous and either belies a deep-seated lack of understanding about the game itself or perhaps a vested interest in seeing Germany perform well. Japan's style of play definitely neutralized what Germany was trying to do. They are the reason that Germany appeared to have an "off game."

I don't think you can make the claim, either, that all the USA has on tap is to hoof it upfield to Abby W. and hope for the best - that's also pretty silly - they're doing far more than that and it all just depends on the opponent and the specific game situation going on.

It's fine if the standards of technical ability are beneath what you prefer to watch but these claims just come across as specious and hyperbolic, imho.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
AKA Halston Thrombeaux
United States
Lincoln
NE
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
erak wrote:
US keeper saves the penalty shot, but ref declares a rekick due to the US keeper coming off her line before the kick. The replay showed she didn't.

I'll show a little bit of ref solidarity here and point out that they did show a replay in which it appeared that a US player entered the penalty box before the ball was kicked, which is a legitimate (if slightly persnickety) reason to retake a kick.

Anyhow, the US did play fantastically - what a match! Even the Brazilian watching the game with us conceded that the US deserved to win after Brazil's shameful faked injury towards the very end of overtime

(For those that didn't watch: a Brazillian collapsed spontaneously and laid on the ground until the stretchers came out, which she hopped out of as soon as she was off the field)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Virre Linwendil Annergård
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
Forza Bajen!
badge
... and still sober
mbmbmbmbmb
In fact seen from a non US:ian point of view the referee was horrible against both teams.

If the pentaly was retaken for a early move into the pentaly area than that player should have had a yellow card.

The referee was no worse than the standard of referees in (male) swedish elite footballs two top divisions.

So far most games been won on tactics and not physics (which is how they used to be won. Thats why Germany lost to Japan)

The important part there of course was the fact that it made Sweden oh so more plausible to run-over Australia (I think Australia would have tacticly a better chance against the US, even if that would be slim too)

Of course the US *should* beat France in there semifinal and Sweden do have a chance against Japan (but that depends on how good of recovering the players from Japan is I would think), the last game Sweden and Japan played ended 1-1 just before the start of the tournament.

Well it will be exiteing, also this cup made Sweden and the USs chance theoricaly at least, of success in the Olympic Games a bit bigger as Norway and Germany not qualfining in favour of France and Sweden is rather upseting.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik D
United States
Pasadena
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
virre wrote:
If the pentaly was retaken for a early move into the pentaly area than that player should have had a yellow card.

The call for the rekick was on the goalkeeper. She was carded. Nobody else was.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
FEB
Germany
Hamburg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
First of all, Im not sad at all that our ladies lost the game to Japan in OT and calling it a bad day doesn't match reality, as our ladies played a bad game and beeing unable to score...
I just feel sorry for Kim Kulig, being injured just a few minutes after the beginning, with her still in the game, the result could have been much different.

Bad Rererees (our should I say Referinas) are a really pain, as we had seen quite a large numbers of bad calls in next to every game. FIFA should really review their referee policy for the womens matches, at least at worldcup level.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Bankler
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"Keep Summer Safe!"
mbmbmbmbmb
fightcitymayor wrote:
They could have put little tiny jerseys on hamsters, given them a little tiny soccer ball, and the relative outcome would have been the same.

Totally untrue. Those hamsters would get viewers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J.L. Robert
United States
Sherman Oaks
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Follow me for wargames!
mbmbmbmbmb
Containerguy wrote:
Bad Rererees (our should I say Referinas) are a really pain, as we had seen quite a large numbers of bad calls in next to every game. FIFA should really review their referee policy for the womens matches, at least at worldcup level.

Bad calls in a match simply happen. They just normally balance out between the two sides during the course of the match. It becomes discouraging when repeated poor calls take away from the performance of the players and make the match's outcome a product of officiating rather than gameplay. The seemingly one-sided nature of the critical calls only intensifies the scrutiny of the match officials.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J.L. Robert
United States
Sherman Oaks
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Follow me for wargames!
mbmbmbmbmb
erak wrote:
virre wrote:

Both possible reasons were very marginal calls, at the very least. Anyone who watches matches knows that GK's jump off the line and other fielders enter the penalty box before the kick routinely.

Briana Scurry's save in the 1999 World Cup Final shootout had her jumping off the line far more than Hope Solo (who could be argued that her heels stayed on the line).

The red card on Buehler was harsh, as it was not a clear goal-scoring opportunity, nor had Marta broken away from the defense. The fact that Marta jumped at the ball and was going to fall to the ground regardless of the (incidental) contact was seemingly lost on the Australian referee. Her officiating will never be mistaken for Pierluigi Collina.

The non-offside call was also pretty poor. But those kinds of non-calls occur regularly in football. That it was converted into an improbable goal should actually be a credit to Marta, who was able to convert a partial connection with the ball into a bizarre goal.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shane Yeager
United States
Sykesville
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
erak wrote:
virre wrote:

Solo was carded for dissent after the call (her response to the referee assistant), not for leaving the line. The rekick was from the encroachment.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Jennings
United States
San Diego
CA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
I actually feel bad for referees. They have a tough job and they have to live with the fact that they will never be appreciated. The best that they can do is call a fair match in which case nobody notices their work. The only time you talk about a referee is when they mess up games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Gates
United States
Essex
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
J.L.Robert wrote:
erak wrote:
virre wrote:

Both possible reasons were very marginal calls, at the very least. Anyone who watches matches knows that GK's jump off the line and other fielders enter the penalty box before the kick routinely.

Briana Scurry's save in the 1999 World Cup Final shootout had her jumping off the line far more than Hope Solo (who could be argued that her heels stayed on the line).

The red card on Buehler was harsh, as it was not a clear goal-scoring opportunity, nor had Marta broken away from the defense. The fact that Marta jumped at the ball and was going to fall to the ground regardless of the (incidental) contact was seemingly lost on the Australian referee. Her officiating will never be mistaken for Pierluigi Collina.

The non-offside call was also pretty poor. But those kinds of non-calls occur regularly in football. That it was converted into an improbable goal should actually be a credit to Marta, who was able to convert a partial connection with the ball into a bizarre goal.

During that 1999 World Cup final shootout, Scurry moved slightly forward on the first penalty kick to test the officials and see if they would call it. When they didn't, she felt confident she could do it again.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/espn25/story?page=moments/32

Good analysis, J.L.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik D
United States
Pasadena
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
thermogimp wrote:
I actually feel bad for referees. They have a tough job and they have to live with the fact that they will never be appreciated. The best that they can do is call a fair match in which case nobody notices their work. The only time you talk about a referee is when they mess up games.

It's like an offensive lineman or a special effects guy in movies--they take pride in not being noticed--that's when they truly know they did their job well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Virre Linwendil Annergård
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
Forza Bajen!
badge
... and still sober
mbmbmbmbmb
Of course the referee in the Sweden - Australia game apprently could not speak English and therefor carded anybody that dared to talk to her. (Resulting in one Swedish player getting banned from the Semi-finals)

Referees in all have it hard, but they often are worse than they should bee. Of course the main body in Sweden (for the mens game) come up with the good idea to fine the clubs when there audiences where singing things that hinted at a rather RSP kind of work. This have ended up with the spectators instead of singing Sold oneself as a X to sing Sold oneself as an Hansson (which was the refree that made the first fine happend) but thats rather off-topic.

Hopefully Sweden and the US will meet in the final again, or to be honest prefarably Sweden meet France in the finals. You do not want to meet the US twice in the same cup. I never heard any US team in any sport lose to the same twice in the same tournament. It's not in the US sports mentalty is my feeling.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J.L. Robert
United States
Sherman Oaks
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Follow me for wargames!
mbmbmbmbmb
syeager wrote:
erak wrote:
virre wrote:

Solo was carded for dissent after the call (her response to the referee assistant), not for leaving the line. The rekick was from the encroachment.

But the encroachment was marginal, and certainly less than many other PK's I've seen.

And I didn't see too much dissent, either. I don't care what could have been said...again, I've seen players not get carded for saying some pretty harsh words.

It's very rare when matches are called as tightly as this one. FIFA would be smart to simply send home this officiating crew, so they can be reviewed behind closed doors.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.