United States
Raytown
Missouri
flag msg tools
2nd, 6th and 7th Wisconsin, 19th Indiana, 24th Michigan
badge
24th Michigan Monument Gettysburg Pa
mbmbmbmbmb
My wife and I currently have a lot of blank wall space in our new house. We like art but our old house we didn't have a ton of wall space and what wall space we had was taken up by my wife's curio cabinets for her English porcelain collection. Our new house is a different story. We now have a lot more wall space and we're kind of enjoying kicking around what we might do with it.

Our downstairs living room is already set. It's kind of an odd room. It's all brick and wood. Very old English is it's feel. So naturally we filled it with Loony Toons. Ok, that sounds kind of odd but many years ago we met an artist at a Warner Brothers store art event by the name of Greg Wray. He and a partner Kirk Mueller were dong commission art pieces for Warner Brothers and they had a cool piece we both really liked called Pyramid Power. So we picked it up as our first art piece.

We picked up a few more pieces over the years including one called Java Joint and my favorite which is an artist print Serigraph from the movie Marvin the Martian in the 3rd Dimension.

In our upstairs living room we only have one piece so far but the theme has been set. No surprise, I'm going civil war (my wife gets the dining room). Several years ago I bought a signed print done by my favorite civil war artist Don Troiani. Now if you aren't into the civil war you likely don't know the name but he's considered by many to be the top civil war artist living today. Mind you the Mort Künstler fans will argue that point.

So here's the print that's in my living room. No surprise, it's the Iron Brigade. I love the piece because there is so much in it. The men in it are real, taken from photos of the real men of the unit. In the background through the trees you can see some famous Gettysburg landmarks like the Lutheran Seminary and McPherson barn.

We still have one big huge space in the living room available and I've decided to go with another Don Troiani piece. I love his artwork and the Iron Brigade piece looks fantastic (it's sitting in a really nice cherry wood frame). It might take a while as my wife has decided that we need to take on a few more home improvement projects before we start working on any more art for the house.

So that's the art in my home for the most part. Nothing spectacular but a bit unique I think. I'm curious as to what others might have hanging on your walls. Do you have a favorite artist? Do you have a Monet or Dali above the fire place?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
June King
United States
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
Bring me her heart in this box.
mbmbmbmbmb
We have a lot of my needlework pieces and some nice country-themed pieces form a local artist.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Andersen
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My wife is a quilter so we have quilts everywhere. In my game room hangs my quilted avatar.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lance
United States
Moorhead
Minnesota
flag msg tools
The coolest best thing I have ever done in my life is being a father
badge
The Dread Pirate Caleb!! (age 2)
mbmbmbmbmb
A self framed print of Hopper's Nighthawks.

I managed to get a hold of an extra War of the Ring gameboard at some point and I had it professionally framed. As soon as I have a game room to hang it in, it is going up on the wall.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rudy
United States
No too far from Philly
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
...but this one thing I do, forgetting those things which are behind,
badge
...and reaching forth unto those things which are before,...
mbmbmb
UndeadViking wrote:
A self framed print of Hopper's Nighthawks.

Nice! I was about to post that I've always wanted a copy of this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith "Boaty McBoatface" C
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
My walls are mostly covered with various photos I've taken. That and video game screenshots.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean
United States
Mechanicsburg
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
I don't want happiness by halves, nor is half of sorrow what I want. Yet there's a pillow I would share, where gently pressed against a cheek like a helpless star, a falling star, a ring glimmers on the finger of a hand.
mbmbmbmbmb
I also have some framed photos
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Plainwell
Michigan
flag msg tools
Mi cabasa esta muy verde
badge
Et in Vantasia ego
mbmbmbmbmb
I have Black Iris by O'Keefe by my desk

I also have a framed photo of the USS Arizona. This is a cool story... My great grandfather was on her maiden voyage. He retired from the Navy and had a oil furnace installed as he said he was never going to shovel another load of coal (this was depression era).

When Pearl Harbor happened he took the photo off the wall and the family never saw it again until after he died, they found it in the back of a closet. Eventually it found its way to me and I now proudly display it above my desk.

I couldn't find a picture on the google that came close to it but it is something like this but colorized.

In my kitchen my favorite Rockwell

And in my office at work, my favorite Ms. Turtle Artist

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
fightcitymayor
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
"This is a really weird game, and you’ll find that most people will not want to play this."
mb
a few 19th century Japanese woodblock prints
some auto racing prints from the 1930's
Mrs. Mayor's professional bird art (done for Audobon)
a pencil sketch of Frank "Home Run" Baker
a 1990's silkscreened Swingin' Utters concert poster
2 framed reproduction Italian travel print posters bought at Target like 5 years ago

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Thorp
United States
Granite Falls
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
"Come on! Come on! Come and get it, baby! Come on! I don't got all day! Come on! Come on! Come on you bastard! Come on, you too! Oh, you want some of this? "
mbmbmbmbmb
Mostly framed photos on our walls. Some paintings that my stepson did; he's pretty good (sorry, no photos). One copy of Klimt's The Kiss:

In my office, a picture of me , made by my niece:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jens Hoppe
Denmark
Frederiksberg
flag msg tools
What are you, like 80?
badge
It's not the years, honey, it's the mileage.
mbmbmbmbmb
In my den I have a couple of reproductions of vintage travel posters:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Heidenreich
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
MilwaukeeTEG
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I like to have original work on my walls for the most part. I do have two prints of Lionel Barrymore of harbor scenes on my walls. Also, I like faces, so I have one by my step son that he made me for Christmas...it's an alien/ant head. I love it. Toilet paper faces, professionally framed. Bascially someone made scrunched up TP into heads. Very cool and expressive. A scratchboard drawing of a guy and a rowboat by one of my uncles. In my basement rec/game room, I have three pieces by my uncle Daryl, including a carving of a jester, with a copper mask, swinging on a hangman's noose. A picture painted by my mom 40+ years ago...I just call it "Unfinished". I also have my one and only painting up, as well.

Sorry, I have no pics.

My favorite is this one big canvase I found at a GW for $4. It's a brightly colored pic that is pretty abstract. Lots of large circles with an eye in the middle. It's disturbing and weird. Very trippy. No name on the pic so I liken it to looking at a pic of a clown on acid.

I also have various pieces put away for now and will rotate them out (or add to my office/spare bedroom when stepson moves this week.

I collect art. I love my pieces.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
On Monday mornings, I'm dedicated to the proposition that All Men are created jerks.
United States
Stratford
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My office has:

signed album covers by The Smothers Brothers and Robert Klein

signed tour poster from Elvis Costello from his current tour

signed print of Captain 'Cuse (Syracuse, NY's own superhero from the 80s) by artist Joe Orsak. CC is standing on the "Spirit of Light" on the Niagara Hudson Building in Syracuse, NY (known by most as the Niagara Mohawk Building) The building is my all-time favorite example of art deco.

classic Alfred E. Newman "What Me Worry?" print that was offered in every issue of Mad mag in the 60s and 70s. I purchased this myself as a kid from the mag.

framed pic of Bob and Ray

Signed print "Dawn in the Labyrinth" by space artist Kim Poor.

Print of an exploded beetle by Peter Aschwanden from the book, "How to Keep Your Volkswagen Alive."

My Credentials of Ministry from The Universal Life Church (I'm available for weddings, funerals, etc.)

And of course pics of my kids.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CHAPEL
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"that's a smith and wesson, and you've had your six"
mbmbmbmbmb
Here is what I have at the moment:

Quote:

Print of an exploded beetle by Peter Aschwanden from the book, "How to Keep Your Volkswagen Alive."

I've got that book. What a lifesaver it was!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jeff
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Stuff from this guy (greg stones), he's f'in brilliant. We found him at the Scituate are fest last year.

http://mysite.verizon.net/bgstones/axpri.htm

This one is called "zombies hate clowns"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Mahaffey
United States
Columbia
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
GAME ARTIST
badge
GAME ARTIST
mbmbmbmbmb

Vermeer's "The Geographer"
http://www.essentialvermeer.com/catalogue/geographer.html

Antonio Ciseri's "Ecce Homo"
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antonio_Ciseri

George Mason's "Harvest Moon"
http://www.googleartproject.com/museums/tate/the-harvest-moo...

EDIT:
And I'd love a print of Rick Reeve's painting of the "Bloody Sixth" Mississippi Regiment at Shiloh (my gggrandfather's unit):

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John O'Haver PhoDOGrapher
United States
Louisville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
Pet photographer, that's me.
mbmbmbmbmb
A poster advertising a Robert Mapplethorpe exhibition featuring one of his Cala Lily photos, a framed greeting card from my dearest female friend with a William Wegman photo of two of his dogs, a framed piece of Mexican embroidery that belonged to my Mother and a framed photo of my Dad and his squadron, PatBomRon 15, in the South Pacific. And my Interstellar Institute Certificate stating that a particular star that is invisible to the naked eye has been officially named after me. Judging from the map in the back pocket of the frame, if this star were visible, my namesake star would be the dickhead of Orion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
howl hollow howl
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
My walls are bare.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott A. Reed
United States
Lawrence
Kansas
flag msg tools
badge
mb

I re-created this Mondrian in stained glass for our third anniversary.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Edwards
United States
Everett
Washington
flag msg tools
YA R'LYAH
badge
Phnglui mglw nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah nagl fhtagn! With cheeze!
mbmbmbmbmb
Hmm, we have:

The widely commercially available but pleasant

ditto for the Martini poster

Laputa movie poster

Several framed SCA award scrolls (example only)

Some small historical figure portrait collections

Not up currently is my Ramones show poster, and the famous Minard graphic (as it's not framed)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin J
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I just moved in to a new apartment, and I'm facing this dilemma now. I think we've decided to buy three 8" by 10" frames, and get a bunch of prints of various things through Artscow so we can switch things up from month to month. Ideally we'll have sets of three related pictures at a time.

You can peruse the stuff we hope to print out here at Artscow.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geeky McGeekface
United States
Manassas
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's time for baseball, people! Pitchers and catchers report soon and the national pastime is with us again!
mbmbmbmbmb
My mom used to paint in oils (she was very good and sold quite a few paintings during my childhood), so we have some of her paintings on the walls. There's also some other original paintings, prints, and movie posters, most of which are fairly eclectic. My wife also likes afixing small ledges on the walls with figurines on them. For example, there's one pewter figure of a horse with a small door on its torso which swivels open: i.e., it's a Trojan Horse! In addition, there's a huge round mirror over the fireplace that came with the house.

There's quite a lot of stuff on the walls, but I don't think it looks cluttered at all. Sheryl has a very good decorating sense and our walls reflect that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Tannhauser
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
ya gotta bunny/duck it in your head
badge
"I looked at my hands, I understood that one fine day, one fine evening to be precise, they would no longer be hands but some other awful thing." —Jack Kerouac
mbmbmbmbmb
Maya Girl found this huge oil at a rummage sale and fell in love with it. I felt it needed a little... je ne sais quoi, a flying saucer, perhaps? I had the Sharpie all ready to go and everything, but was severely reprimanded for my reflex, which makes absolutely no sense since flaccid decoration just needs a little earnest fluffing to get hard enough to penetrate the rarified cleft of True Art. Until such a time as she recognizes my genius, I have been allowed to use a Post-It Note.

PS. As you might imagine, our walls are lousy with kind of stuff.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Amy Wiles
United States
Macon
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

I have a one-of-a-kind masterpiece. The kind that is sketched directly on the wall, and therefore becomes a part of the room. The piece is done in pencil, and it is about seven feet wide, two feet high, and centers approximately two-and-a-half feet off the ground. It was just created yesterday (or Saturday maybe?). This was my reward for trying to get caught up on two-months worth of ironing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael
United States
Lincoln
NE: NEBRASKA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
On my walls I have "educational" posters from the Dollar store. You can get like 3 posters for a $1, quite the deal! Then there's a bunch of construction paper we just taped to the walls when we ran out of poster. On the ceiling I made a maze with painters tape.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.