Recommend
30 
 Thumb up
 Hide
23 Posts

Defenders of the Realm» Forums » General

Subject: I have no choice but to give this game a 10. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mary Weisbeck
United States
Black Hawk
South Dakota
flag msg tools
"Blow up the damned ship, Jean-Luc!"
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
This is one of only three games in my whole collection that my husband actually asks to play! "So you want to set that up?" "Do you want to play that game?" "Is it too late to play?" (8:00 p.m.)

It's Pandemic with more theme, more choices, more fun, and it's very addictive. The character abilities are more complex, which not only gives you more leeway in how you take your turn, but also keeps other players from telling you how you should proceed. This is a big plus in my book.

And thanks to the designer's constant input, it should remain fresh and challenging for a long time.
28 
 Thumb up
1.25
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron
Austria
Vienna
flag msg tools
“It's all in the mind.” ― George Harrison
badge
Devoted Follower of the Most Holy Church of the Evil Bob. Possessed and down the road to become chaotic, evil & naughty. All hail the Evil Bob and his Stargate.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
sodaklady wrote:

It's Pandemic with more theme, more choices, more fun, and it's very addictive.

I never encountered any fun in killing a virus; but I love to kill Orcs & Dragons

Yup, a great game, also in my book (although I only rated it '9' ...) thumbsup
8 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Bell
United States
Osceola Mills
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Scythe!
badge
Life is not a game - games are life.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Every single person/group I've introduced this game to has had a blast and asked to play again. Richard captured something magical with this one for sure.

Here's to a long future of Defending the Realm!
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Paul
United States
Seattle
WA
flag msg tools
badge
man lying down on job voluntarily
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
sodaklady wrote:
This is one of only three games in my whole collection that my husband actually asks to play! "So you want to set that up?" "Do you want to play that game?" "Is it too late to play?" (8:00 p.m.)

It's Pandemic with more theme, more choices, more fun, and it's very addictive. The character abilities are more complex, which not only gives you more leeway in how you take your turn, but also keeps other players from telling you how you should proceed. This is a big plus in my book.

And thanks to the designer's constant input, it should remain fresh and challenging for a long time.


I have to agree that this game is great! Everyone I've introduced it to likes it as well (which is a first) and if there's time, are usually willing to play it multiple times in a row (rare for my group.)

I'm curious how you and your husband play - do you each choose one character, or do you each play two characters? What optional rules do you use to help balance out the difficulty?

(I ask b/c I have yet to introduce my girlfriend to it due to us usually only playing 2-player games...)
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Krajewski
United States
Fitchburg
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
For our 2-player games we play with 3 Royal Blessings. It seems like a simple variant but it does give a bunch more choices and it makes the game more balanced and fun in our opinion. Even if you don't own the expansion, just look it up here on BGG and you can play with your own components.

We play with one hero each but we deal them out such that one of us has an ability that lets you move around the board easier. Either Wizard, Paladin, or Eagle Rider. The other can be any of the others. It's much more fun when somebody has an ability to get around and then it's easier for that person to set up Magic Gates for the other to use.

We've also been playing with 3 Global Events (2 good, 1 bad) and 1 Dragon Agent from the expansion.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mary Weisbeck
United States
Black Hawk
South Dakota
flag msg tools
"Blow up the damned ship, Jean-Luc!"
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
crunk_posby wrote:
sodaklady wrote:
This is one of only three games in my whole collection that my husband actually asks to play! "So you want to set that up?" "Do you want to play that game?" "Is it too late to play?" (8:00 p.m.)

It's Pandemic with more theme, more choices, more fun, and it's very addictive. The character abilities are more complex, which not only gives you more leeway in how you take your turn, but also keeps other players from telling you how you should proceed. This is a big plus in my book.

And thanks to the designer's constant input, it should remain fresh and challenging for a long time.


I have to agree that this game is great! Everyone I've introduced it to likes it as well (which is a first) and if there's time, are usually willing to play it multiple times in a row (rare for my group.)

I'm curious how you and your husband play - do you each choose one character, or do you each play two characters? What optional rules do you use to help balance out the difficulty?

(I ask b/c I have yet to introduce my girlfriend to it due to us usually only playing 2-player games...)

Christopher, we haven't made any changes to the rules because of the difficulty but we are lax in accommodating any temporary lapse in judgement. whistle laugh

We each take two characters, usually including in the four at least one that has extra movement ability and one with extra strength in battles. We came close to winning once, and I managed a win playing solo with 4 characters. THAT was an epic game!! Do you know anyone else who can roll 8 "1"s on 10 dice rolls?
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ronster Zero
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I've been on the fence over this game an have had many offers.

I think I am finally going to have to get me a copy of this.
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Bagley
United States
Berkeley
California
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
While I think this is a fantastic game, it didn't initially rate a 10 with me. However, the absurdly incredible support by the designer (and fans as well), with both retail expansions and tons of free content takes this to a 10.
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marty Devine
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
ronster0 wrote:
I've been on the fence over this game an have had many offers.

I think I am finally going to have to get me a copy of this.


You will not be sorry. This game gets more table time with my group than any other game I have bought in the past 5 years. Maybe 10. I'd go back more than 10, but that brings you into the dark times when I was a misguided Warhammer Fantasy Battles player.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Kearns
United States
Bloomington
Indiana
flag msg tools
Silence is golden.
badge
Your sea is so great and my boat is so small.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Hmmm, checking your ratings I see you are someone who knows the awesome power of Eurorails as well. Deep respect.

I may have to give Defenders a look...
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mary Weisbeck
United States
Black Hawk
South Dakota
flag msg tools
"Blow up the damned ship, Jean-Luc!"
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
dkearns wrote:
Hmmm, checking your ratings I see you are someone who knows the awesome power of Eurorails as well. Deep respect.

I may have to give Defenders a look...

Indeed. The rail games are also requested frequently although after much play, Martian Rails has become our favorite.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Marso
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
Avatar
mb
Mary,

You hit the nail on the head as for the reasons I like this game
even better then Pandemic.


Bob
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Conley
United States
Milwaukie
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
Life is too short not to live it up a little!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Great post, Mary! I have Defenders rated at 9 currently since I'm REALLY stingy with 10's. But I likely will move it up. Just wish I could get it to the table more. Have been thinking of trying it solo and see what happens...

Thanks for a really good post about this great game!
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CanCon, BunnyCon...BorderCon!!!
Australia
KILLARA
VIC
flag msg tools
badge
May 2018 be all you dreamed it would be and be all that you dreamed...
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
It's an 8 for me at present but almost edging a 9. The fact that Pandemic came first hurts it just a little on the 'original' scale, even if the two games differ greatly in a few areas.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Gleason
United States
Asheville
North Carolina (NC)
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I may actually end up giving this game a 10 if I ever get the expansions that are in the works.

The Hero expansions will provide 12 new characters to play as that will definatly extend the freshness of the game. The Catacombs and Companions expansion will provide a new element to exploring and another incentive to visit Inns, I'm greatly looking forward to this one also.

And now with the word of there being a 50 card quest addition on the way, I am really stoke for all aspects of this game. The 24 quests included with the base game are fine as is but quickly become repetitive after a dozen play throughs. Thats why the new Quest Card expansion was some awesome news to hear this week.

If there is anything left to be done to make this game even better then I would have to say it would be new Generals with unique minion molds for each. This was the only downer I had with the base game when I first purchased it.

Anyways, awesome job Richard. I really look forward to the great stuff that are in the works for this awesome game.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Paul
United States
Seattle
WA
flag msg tools
badge
man lying down on job voluntarily
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Zarovichx wrote:


If there is anything left to be done to make this game even better then I would have to say it would be new Generals with unique minion molds for each. This was the only downer I had with the base game when I first purchased it.


While I'm always a fan of fancy parts and cool miniatures, this is an area where I appreciate they kept costs down, and created flexibility. It was clever the way they set them up to be used with the new generals from the Dragon expansion (so they wouldn't have to make a new set of minis.)
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Ferejohn
United States
Mountain View
California
flag msg tools
badge
Pitying fools as hard as I can...
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Honestly only the fonts keep me from rating it higher. I like the game a lot, but I feel like I'm playing geocities: the board game.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Cookingham
United States
Poughkeepsie
New York
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Neil Thomson wrote:
It's an 8 for me at present but almost edging a 9. The fact that Pandemic came first hurts it just a little on the 'original' scale, even if the two games differ greatly in a few areas.


I have yet to rate DotR, but my buddy and I are enjoying it a lot. I got the painted miniatures, and I have the others on order.

However, I am not sure I would rate it higher than Pandemic.

Pandemic's theme is less common (than fantasy) and it has been an easier sell to non-gamers.

The map is less cluttered and easier for my eyes to navigate in Pandemic. I don't spend time looking for a particular place.

Pandemic is better balanced for changes in number of players.

Victories and losses in Pandemic feel more interesting due to the lack of dice. The shuffle is the only immediate random concern, but the nature of how the infection deck works helps to balance that out. The dice in DotR may add some tension, but it makes a lesser experience when a game is lost due to just a bad roll.

Maybe my opinion will change in the long run, I hope to play a lot more DotR. I do like a lot of features of DotR-- the health/actions, the quests, and the amount of support by the designer.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Gleason
United States
Asheville
North Carolina (NC)
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
crunk_posby wrote:
Zarovichx wrote:


If there is anything left to be done to make this game even better then I would have to say it would be new Generals with unique minion molds for each. This was the only downer I had with the base game when I first purchased it.


While I'm always a fan of fancy parts and cool miniatures, this is an area where I appreciate they kept costs down, and created flexibility. It was clever the way they set them up to be used with the new generals from the Dragon expansion (so they wouldn't have to make a new set of minis.)


I understand this, I just meant as expansions down the road this would be a nice include. Richard has already talked about a troll expansion which may add a new general and minions. If this is the case then it wouldn't be that far off to consider doing 3 more general packs to have all them covered.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Launius
United States
Johns Creek
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb

As far as more Generals, I have already completed 4 new Generals for each of the exiting minion colors and 4 new minions to accompany them. Additionally, I have added a new color for the Trolls and a new Troll General.

The key questions for me, and I guess Eagle Games, is if and when to publish the new Generals outside of the Trolls. Maybe add them to the Troll Alliance Expansion, or the Companions & Catacombs, or do they publish separately as they require new General sculpts and new Darkness Spreads and Hero Cards?

Thanks for your interest. And thanks to those of you that enjoy the game enough to give it a high rating. It feels good to know that the game is appreciated.

Richard
9 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kent Pritchett
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
My original score was a 9 but I am considering giving it a 10 with the dragon expansion.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Germany
Osnabrück
flag msg tools
                                                             oooo                             ooo                             o    o                                      o     
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
TheImp wrote:
My original score was a 9 but I am considering giving it a 10 with the dragon expansion.

Then I suggest keeping the game at 9 and rate the extension at 10.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donato
Netherlands
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I would prefer a seperate expansion with the 4 new Generals, minions, Darkness Spreads cards and Hero Cards.

Otherwise the expansions might become too big and too expensive.

It is a bit strange, but I would prefer to buy 4 expansions for (let's say) 30 dollars than 2 expansions for 60 dollars.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.