Subject: Questions + ideas of variants rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Julien Lehnardt
France
Benfeld
Alsace
flag msg tools
1) Movements are strange : You use 2MP to enter a Zoc even if it is a forest after a river…right?

2) Can the French go to Belgium the first turn after the German entered it?

3) Supply : You check it at the start of each combat for both side right?

4) The campaign : There is no VP if Belgium stands for?

5) No modification for combat in city nor forest?

6) Exhausted units : they get rid of exhaustion even if out of supply and same is surrounded by enemy divisions (because divisions have no ZOC)

7) Units are activated even if they are far away from the HQ? I then feel the HQ are more or less useless excepted for combat (not very historical to put them in first line )

8) Rounding is like in SCS from MMP? I am not sure… You round up ok but 10 against 3 is 3.33.. to 3/1 or 4/1? 6 against 4 is 1.5 so 1/1 or 2/1?

9) After the OAO you take out 2 german corps…. Even the (2)/3 corps? Or any flipped corp? or they must be full strength corps?

Some ideas as variants :

1) Every German city taken by the >French before GT9 is a VP at the end even if lost afterwards.
2) OAO lasts up to end of turn 8
3) Forced march : a unit can get 3 more MP but suffers exhaustion (the race to the sea)
4) The French gets VP per cities in Belgium not conquered
5) Units must be within 6 hex of their HQ to be activated
6) HQ should have a range for their artillery
7) I agree more or less with the explanation why several divisions do not have ZOC (because of lack of cavalry..) : we should however try that a stack of at least in total 3X has a ZOC! It is also important because of exhaustion.
8) A very historical setup would have been appreciated
9) No French nor English in Belgium before GT3, Belgians could not leave Belgium before GT5
10) Defenders in City of forest should get a bonus (excepted Lille)
11) Movements cost should be changed
Clear = 1
Forest = 2
River = +1
Zoc = +1
Minimum Movement is 1 hex

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Gorkowski
msg tools
designer
mbmbmb

Dude, many of your suggestion contradict the actual history.

1) Yes, and when you think about it this makes a lot of sense. When your movement is impeded, for any reason, you slow down, but multiple instance of "slow" don't necessarily accumlate. So, if I spread out and slow down because I'm under fire (in ZOC) would I slow down still more for some trees? Probably not, slow is slow.

2) French can go into Belgium anytime they want. If they go first, Belgium joins the Germans. In the real war, Sordets cavalry corps was in Belgium around August 7, game turn 2.

3) Right, check supply before combat.

4) Right, no VP for Belgium - that's historical accuracy. Lots of games on this subject have people focused on Brussels, Ghent and the channel ports. In the real war, the Germans bypassed all of that. And, the Brits very quickly abandoned efforts to assist the Belgian army in Brussels. Why? Because Belgium didn't matter in and of itself. France was the prize, Belgium was a means to an end. Making Belgian cities worth VP guarantees an ahistoric game by distorting incentives.

5) Right, no mods for combat in forests or cities - here's why. If we are in the woods shooting at each other, who has the advantage? Neither of us. In fact, one could argue that forests actually help the attacker by providing cover. As for towns, this isn't WWII with small groups crawling through rubble. At the outset of WWI, combatants generally avoided towns because they impeded command and control. Can you name a single city fight from 1914?

6) Out of supply carries its own penalties. Making exhaustion persist is no necessary. If the unit gets some sleep and takes a head count, it has shed exhaustion.

7) With regard to HQs: Near the end of the actual campaign, the Germans shifted corps from Alsace (in the south east corner) to Flanders - on the other side of the map. Those units continued to fight even though they were far more than 6 hexes away from their HQ. The same goes for the German approach to the Marne. HQs in the front line is very realistic because of what HQs represent - artillery, elite infantry and cavalry. When you put an HQ in the front line you signify the commitment of army level resources to that point. Some armies had spare divisions under command of the HQ. In any case, the presence of the HQ counter signifies the commitment of Army-level resources to that point on the battlefield - a very common occurence. Range for artillery does not apply at this scale. Each hex is 9 miles, only naval guns could fire beyond that range.

8) Please re-read rule 6.361 and you will see there is no need for rounding in the cases you mention. 10 to 3 is 3.33 which is closer to 3-1 so that is the odds column you would use, see rule 6.361.

9) Take out any two full strength corps.

As for set up, it is historical. The locations of the HQs reflect their actual positions. If we force players to set up each corps in a particular hex then we are denying them the room they need to implement their own strategy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Carey
United States
West Coast
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm now learning (by playing) that Guns of August is not your standard hex-and-counter game, and it does require a bit of a different mindset to play.

Still, it's good to double-check these things, and it appears that the designer has somewhat of a different vision for the campaign from what we've seen in the past (a vision that I have also come to recently share, for the most part).

That's not to say that I agree with all of the game's mechanics, but with only 6 pages of rules it does seem to capture the fluidity of the campaign rather well so far (it's on my gaming table now).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Goss
United States
Lindsborg
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Is there an 'official' list of FAQs/Eratta posted anywhere for this game? I really like this game and I would like to have a handy reference of FAQs/Eratta. Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Gorkowski
msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
GoA Errata

Rules

2.2 Add: Cavalry units control hexes only for the duration of their stay.

2.23 Add: However, cavalry units cannot place control markers.

3.0 Under 2. Chit Pull Phase strike the number 1 next to German Activation and strike the number 2 next to Allied Activation. [These numbers imply a structured order of activations which is not the case, chit pull determines who activates and when.]

4.51 To the game turn 4 stipulation add: Remove the Emmich counter during the Replacements and Reinforcements portion of the turn at the start.

4.73 Read "120" as "D."

4.74 Add: If both Calais and Dunkirk are German controlled then the 3rd Corps enters at any hex along the west edge of the map.

6.24 In the last sentence, delete "or be attacked by".

8.0 Add: Do not apply game turn stipulations (4.51) when playing a scenario.

Map

Partial hexes along the map edge are NOT playable.

Counters

The German 6th Army HQ should show "St. Avold" not "St. Arnold."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.