Vince Lupo
United States
ALEXANDRIA
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My variant proposes that you every turn you first go to the village, then you go to the dungeon. If you lose to a monster, you get -1 VP, which you can represent with some irremovable tokens of shame that decrease your vp total at the end of the game.

ALSO the dungeon would be handled differently. Thunderstone too.

The dungeon is all face down. No face up monsters.

You start the dungeon by drawing the top monster. Everyone can see that monster though.

You can fight that monster or skip to the next. But the first monster is one depth in. So one light will save you two attack still.

The next monster is two depth in. And so on.

You can keep on skipping monsters, but it'll likely start to get too dark to fight.

Monsters you skip, go to a monster discard pile.

If you lose to a monster by too much, then you gain even more shame. This stops players from pushing their luck too hard and drawing through too far. Losing to a monster within 5 is 1 shame. Losing to a monster with 6 or more is 2 shame. 11 or more, 3 shame. Monsters you skip or monsters that beat you, go to a monster discard.

Though, there could potentially be a need to limit the max depth you can go. 5 sounds good. Alternatively, it could be your light count but only if greater than 5. So a player with 6 light could go past 5. But a player with no light, or only 3, could only go to 5 cards as it is the max.

When you run out of monsters in the deck, shuffle and keep going. Thunderstone details are next...

Naturally the deck will cycle very quickly. So a new thunderstone mechanic should be introduced. My guess is that you shouldn't put the thunderstone into the bottom 10 of the deck until the monster deck has been cycled 3 times. On the forth go, the thunderstone is injected randomly into the bottom 10 cards of the deck. This might have to fluctuate based on the number of players. Perhaps player count + 1 or 2. When you see the thunderstone later, you have to fight the next monster and then you obtain the thunderstone if you win. Otherwise, the next player gets to fight the next monster for the thunderstone.

This variant does a couple things. It makes it feel more dangerous to me. Like I need to build a good party to start winning some combats. Also, I like how I would be able to upgrade my deck AND still fight monsters on a turn when I have a lot of money AND attack. In that way it probably speeds up the game too.

It also sort of adds a little munchkins to the gameplay. The feeling of walking through a door and having to fight a monster. But also, the variant gives you an option to see more monsters and focus on your strengths more easily.

Also, some variants to the variant:

perhaps you can always see the top monster of the deck. this way it's not totally blind luck what the next card is, but you still don't know anything about the monster after that one.

perhaps getting the thunderstone requires beating a monster of x health. X being 5 or more. Or choose a # you like.

I like shuffling ALL the village cards together into stacks by type. So going to the village is a new experience each time.

I haven't played this variant yet, but perhaps I might the next time I play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben MacFarlane
United States
Cambridge
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This definitely sounds like an interesting variant - I like the idea of not knowing what you're fighting - but what happens to cards that have a village power and a dungeon power? Can you play both? That would definitely screw up the balance of certain cards - especially if you also go with the stacks-of-random-village-cards idea.

Also what about powers that let let you cycle monsters? Or breach effects? What about treasures and traps?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vince Lupo
United States
ALEXANDRIA
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bmacfarlane wrote:
This definitely sounds like an interesting variant - I like the idea of not knowing what you're fighting - but what happens to cards that have a village power and a dungeon power? Can you play both? That would definitely screw up the balance of certain cards - especially if you also go with the stacks-of-random-village-cards idea.

Also what about powers that let let you cycle monsters? Or breach effects? What about treasures and traps?

I only have the base game.

You could probably adapt some of those cards and powers to fit the variant as logically as possible.

For example, a card that lets you banish a monster would skip a monster and not make the dungeon deeper.

Also, there are plenty of cards that give you Money AND Attack without even being vilage/dungeon powers. I think it would be ok.

And you might have to keep certain cards out.

I don't know anything about treasures. I think I recall that traps activate as soon as revealed? Perhaps the trap would activate at the end of the turn it's revealed.

One more thing. I suppose that instead of going to the village you can rest.

So it would be "village or rest" then "dungeon".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
sonny sonny
Austria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
i would keep dungeon and village turns separate (this way you don't need a penalty for not defeating a monster), but i like the idea with random dungeon draws. it combines well with our sorted monsters (by toughness) variant. you could choose to draw from the easy, medium or hard monsters (choose which dungeon you enter).

i would just eliminate the thunderstone mechanic and set a gameend condition. example: as soon as the toughest dragon is defeated the game ends. or the game ends as soon as there are only 5 cards left in the monster deck.

traps: traps activate only after you battled the monster that is drawn immediately after the trap. this way you get some control over it and you can still have some traps after the deck cycled.

treasures: treasure can only be taken if you defeat the monster that is drawn immediately afterwards.

cycle monsters powers before fight: just save light, as they do normally (decide after drawing monsters).

i don't know how to handle breach effects though. maybe they trigger if it's the first monster drawn and you don't defeat it.

i also like linking the maximum draws to your light. as is, it's too easy to substitute for light anyways. i suggest "you may draw a maximum number of 2 monsters, plus 1 for every light".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vince Lupo
United States
ALEXANDRIA
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
letsdance wrote:
i would keep dungeon and village turns separate (this way you don't need a penalty for not defeating a monster), but i like the idea with random dungeon draws. it combines well with our sorted monsters (by toughness) variant. you could choose to draw from the easy, medium or hard monsters (choose which dungeon you enter).

i would just eliminate the thunderstone mechanic and set a gameend condition. example: as soon as the toughest dragon is defeated the game ends. or the game ends as soon as there are only 5 cards left in the monster deck.

traps: traps activate only after you battled the monster that is drawn immediately after the trap. this way you get some control over it and you can still have some traps after the deck cycled.

treasures: treasure can only be taken if you defeat the monster that is drawn immediately afterwards.

cycle monsters powers before fight: just save light, as they do normally (decide after drawing monsters).

i don't know how to handle breach effects though. maybe they trigger if it's the first monster drawn and you don't defeat it.

i also like linking the maximum draws to your light. as is, it's too easy to substitute for light anyways. i suggest "you may draw a maximum number of 2 monsters, plus 1 for every light".

That seems pretty functional. I'm willing to try it both ways (dungeon and village) or standard (dungeon or village).

Also, with your split dungeon the 2 without light seems fair, but if you had a single dungeon deck, then I'd make it 3 without light and each light giving you another.

I like the game end condition of 5 monsters left (I'm assuming total amongst all 3 decks or just the one deck).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
sonny sonny
Austria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
we think that light is too easily substituted by other things (it's in fact just +2 attack, weapons are better usually). therefore i would use this chance to boost its importance.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.