Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ken Thibodeau
Canada
Quebec
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It seems like 4 SR ops to move an army isn't much of a good deal. Or am I missing something?

Instead of burning a 4-op card, why wouldn't I just activate it to move and use the 3 other ops for some other useful actions?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Larkin
United States
Novato
California
flag msg tools
badge
Twinkies... YUM!
mbmbmbmbmb
SR has no movement range, so as the CP player you *could* SR an army from the eastern front to the western front in one ops play, as opposed to moving 3 spaces at a time for each card. The allied player would seem to have even fewer reasons to use this.

However, I think you are right, to SR an army is usually a grand waste of ops points, and no one has ever done it that I've played against.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M·ANTONIVS·M·F·M·N
Canada
flag msg tools
badge
Mein Luftkissenfahrzeug ist voller Aale
mbmbmbmbmb
To overland a British army into Italy
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Thibodeau
Canada
Quebec
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok I see. I forgot about the unlimited movement SR provides. However, as I suspected, it must be used in extreme cases, except maybe for the overland of troops
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paddy O'Doors
United States
Bealeton
Virginia
flag msg tools
Bomb Voyage exclaims: Monsieur Incroyable!
mbmbmbmbmb
It is more efficient to spend ops to move an army, since moving it only takes one ops at a time.

However, there are times when moving an army from one front to the other in one AR is critical.

Often times I see Allied players SR a British Army into Italy (esp. Verona) if it looks like Italy could fall quickly after its entry into the game. The Frenchies can easily walk (aka use ops to move) down to Italy, but if you're in a real emergency (big supply threat due to an impending big German attack or something like that), than SRing an army is a good way to up your defenses quickly.

I've also seen the CP SRing Turk armies to the spaces outside of Egypt and Kuwait, especially when they have had to take a step loss. They are the only units in the game that get slower when hurt, so taking 5 ops over 5 ARs (moving 2 spaces per AR) to redeploy to another front seems very tedious.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M·ANTONIVS·M·F·M·N
Canada
flag msg tools
badge
Mein Luftkissenfahrzeug ist voller Aale
mbmbmbmbmb
There is a lot to explore with this game.

It takes a lot of effort to get any real experience with PoG, but after you do, you will start to see times where these seemingly useless moves can become crucial.

Don't worry......keep at it and you'll get it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
juerg haeberli
msg tools
Cases when an army usually gets sr'd.

English army to Italy to hold Italy.
German army near Salonika to stop Orient army.
German army to Italien border or Italy to crush Italy.

There are other special board positions which can be solved by army sr.

Lots of things to discover in this game...have fun.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yan P.
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
haeberich wrote:
Cases when an army usually gets sr'd.

English army to Italy to hold Italy.
German army near Salonika to stop Orient army.
German army to Italien border or Italy to crush Italy.

There are other special board positions which can be solved by army sr.

Lots of things to discover in this game...have fun.

Sometimes, to SR a turkish army to where it can do damage the fastest. SR an army to Sinai before Allenby shows up, and you can save yourself lots of trouble.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.