Popular Tags: [View All]
Andrew Goenner
United States
St. Cloud
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Yup, changed the Avatar for self-promotion.
badge
Go vote in the 24-Hour RPG Design Contest!
mbmbmbmbmb
Right, so this isn't quite my "normal" (quotes because this is only my third "First Impressions" review) First Impression Review. I'm currently Level 20 and running around New Vegas, and am in the double-digits of hours of time put into the game thus far.

A little of my background with the Fallout World. I played the first two Fallouts when they came out, and to this day they remain fondly in my memory as games that make up my favorite post-apocolyptic world ever.

I purchased this game the day it came out, but didn't get around to starting it until recently. That's probably a good thing, judging from other reviews I've read of it, but we'll touch more on that in a bit.

Synopsis of the Story

The world has ended. Much of humanity survived the blasts by holing themselves up in Vaults (basically self-sustaining bomb shelters for a large group of people). Others hid away aboveground where the nukes didn't reach them and have been forced to rebuild from the ground up.

New Vegas takes place in Nevada (big surprise there, given the name). You are the Courier, someone who has just been dug up from his grave, still alive, by a friendly robot named Vic. You had been carrying an object to New Vegas when you were attacked and had the item stolen. Now you must roam the wastelands, searching for the people that think they killed you, piecing together the puzzle that lead to your "death" and getting involved (possibly) in a pretty large conflict along the way.

On the subject of the story...I played a little bit of Fallout 3, but not that much (although it is on my list to give another chance to once I get a couple other games under my belt) and I feel that New Vegas is MUCH more in line with the original two games in the series. Seeing a familiar face and hearing mention of events/characters from the originals brings a smile to my face.

First Impressions Review Proper

Gameplay

If you've played Fallout 3, then you know the basics of gameplay. Fallout: New Vegas is done in a FPS-style of gameplay in the way you move and interact with the world. The main difference is the VATS system, which allows you to pause the game when in combat and fire your weapon at targeted parts of an opponents body.

Interaction with NPCs is familiar ground with RPGs, but I think the stories are better done than many (at least in regards to FPS RPGs). Every time I start a quest chain, I can't move onto something else until I complete it, just so I can see how everything turns out.

There is no system of classes in Fallout: New Vegas. Instead, it is skill based, with the character training in 3 primary skills and then adding points to skills each time the character levels up.

The graphics are quite good, although I have noticed a bit of slowdown in the loading of textures after playing the game for a while.

What I REALLY enjoy about this game, is the fact that it will be extremely replayable. Every choice I make in the game seems to have an effect on the world around me. Help out one group, you get lowered in the esteem of another. Find an item? Three different parties all want it for different reasons, who will you give it to?

This game (for me) really exemplifies the term "sandbox world."

There is also a hardcore mode in the game where healing doesn't have quite as potent an effect, you need food and water, and ammunation has weight. I haven't really talked about this mode at all, because I'm currently playing through in normal mode. My next playthrough will be in hardcore.

Now to the downside. This game is buggy. The reviews I've read about the game harp on that a lot. Even after the updates that have come out since the games release in November, there are still some bugs. However, they have only proved to be a minor annoyance to me (at least up until this point) so I'm glad I waited eight months to get around to playing this guy.

d10-1 Customization. This game I based my character and his skills around Roland from the Dark Tower series. My next character? Probably Kane from Kung Fu, eschewing firearms entirely.

d10-2 Choosing sides, and how MANY sides there are to choose from. Each decision I make has weight and effects something.

d10-3 Multiple ways to complete quests. If you have a high enough pertinent skill, sometimes you can talk your way out of a situation, or fix something, or hack something, that allows you to get around combat entirely.

Dislikes

d10-1 The bugs. While they aren't game-killing any longer, they're still present. I just had an issue this weekend, where I couldn't load ANY games at all from the main screen. After doing research on the net, I found that if I started a new game and then loaded from there, it works fine.

d10-2 Followers' AI. Aggressive means REALLY aggressive (or maybe that's just some of the followers). One of my followers regularly takes off attacking something I could easily have snuck past. And sometimes they'll just stop and act stuck when they aren't stuck behind anything. But that happens pretty rarely.

Final Thoughts

I am really enjoying the game so far. While there are a couple of bugs here and there, and my follower(s) can bug me from time to time, I see myself playing through this game again once I've finished it and I don't even have the expansions yet.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Wasserman
United States
Morgantown
WV
flag msg tools
I don't think he would like that.
badge
"A single action or event is interesting, not because it is explainable, but because it is true." - Goethe
mbmbmbmbmb
As part of my Dictator of the Week festivities, I've awarded you an additional 4 and mb for this review. Thank you for your review and your contributions to VGG! thumbsup

Is the follower AI better or worse than that in Fallout 2? That is the thing that most turned me off of the game, because everything else is fantastic.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Goenner
United States
St. Cloud
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Yup, changed the Avatar for self-promotion.
badge
Go vote in the 24-Hour RPG Design Contest!
mbmbmbmbmb
You know, to be honest, I can't really say. It's been a LONG time since I've gone near that game. I would probably say not as bad. Definitely not game ruining. Just slightly annoying/quirky every so often.

And I'm just happy to be able to contribute. Long live our dictator (long meaning a week, then please die or resign or something)!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.