Jibbajabbawocky
United States
Arkansas
flag msg tools
badge
Ruler of the East Coast
mbmbmbmbmb
“That’s great, it starts with an earthquake…”

“9.9!” the panicked voice rose above the din of activity in the National Earthquake Center. “450 meter slip, 33 kilometers deep, 1800 km long, the WHOLE DAMN FAULT BLEW!” Fingers rubbed temples, brows furrowed, the most complete and devastating earthquake ever known to mankind just ripped a scar unimaginable into the landscape. Millions killed, tens of millions injured or homeless, everyone knew that it was going to be one of those days.

Little did they know just how right they were going to be.

Somewhere deep beneath the peaceful rolling farmlands, guns were being drawn and voices were being raised. The debate over the meaning of an unclear order coming over the network before being taken off-line by the quake had nervous men coming to blows. The decision, whether or not to follow the order to the letter and launch their squadron of nuclear missiles at their pre-determined targets, or err on the side of caution and await further orders. Several gunshots later, the side of caution lost the battle as the missiles sailed to their destinations.

As nuclear fire rained down from the heavens, the plague could no longer be contained. In a remote town, not located on any map. Teams of scientists were working on bioengineering a new kind of soybean, one that would solve the global food shortages. What went wrong will never be known, but something went wrong, very wrong. A quarantine had sealed the area for weeks now, but with the world rapidly descending into chaos the soldiers holding back whatever the people were becoming inside quickly ran in every direction. Scores of bio-compromised “people” streamed out of the forbidden zone carrying their affliction with them. Not flinching at the incredible Armageddon unfolding around them, they seemed driven as one, by an unseen force.

At a prestigious technical institute, a dozen of the smartest and most socially inept group of hackers watched what was unfolding with horrified glances. They were designing a cortex, which showed the promise of a breakthrough in the field of artificial intelligence. It was untested and unproven, but there was no time. The students surmised that the situation was too overwhelming for human minds to deal with. However, a computer fed all the data, and all the bandwidth it could use, could assess risks and manage the situation with a greater efficiency. Hurriedly they assembled the code, tied in every feed and link they could into their boxes, brought the A.I. online and instructed it to simply “fix this problem”. Five seconds later, they wondered if they should’ve rephrased the question better. Eight seconds later, the A.I. deduced what the source of the problem was. After ten seconds, someone reached for a plug. After eleven seconds it was too late. The A.I. moved with blinding speed all along the network that was still functional and immediately started to “fix this problem” by eliminating all life on the planet. Starting with the dozen of the smartest and most socially inept people on the planet, smothered to death by the fire retardation system in the computer room.

Just how much of a jolt would it take to wake from a ten millennia long slumber? A 9.9 on the Richter scale you may guess? Well you would be right. From out of their hidden places beneath the mountains, the Orckin and Nieblung stirred. Needing nothing for sustenance, they emerged from their quiet tombs, to resume their ancient wars. Staring out at the bleak landscape, growing more hostile by the minute, these Demi-humans merely smirked and prepared to conquer all they surveyed, the Nieblung to satiate their incredible thirst for wealth and treasure, and the Orckin, to satiate their lust for battle and death. Grim and foreboding wardrums rhythmically echoed through the valleys for the first time in over 10,000 years.

The veil that protected this world from the next was a frail and delicate thing. It was a shame therefore that nuclear bombs, huge earthquakes, and increased electrical activity (mainly by a rampaging AI quickly assembling an army) tore it asunder. Rifts started to form in the desert regions of the world. Stark black circles enshrouded in fire and liquid sulfur. From here the damned came. Hordes of writhing and tortured souls being driven to further madness by their taskmasters and captains, all driven forward by a Dark Lord who’s name cannot be spoken or be heard without going mad. For too long the world and all of it’s inhabitants rested lazily beyond the veil, now with the veil gone, it was time to take over this land, as they had done hundreds of lands before.

Watching with glee, were the cultists. These strange people wore robes of crimson, and paraded down every sidewalk, carrying their signs that the world was rapidly coming to an end. They were derided, mocked, ridiculed, and laughed at every time they tried to warn the world of its imminent destruction. Well who was laughing now? From their black books, they warned of the quake to end all quakes, war to end all wars, plague to end all plagues, and the very tools of man turning on them, being enslaved by the horrors that will invade from the far dimensions. With their prophecies coming true all around them, they now begun their work. It was their destiny to fulfill the final prophecy and bring about the total end of the world. They numbers instantly swelling by the very same people who called them kooks and dreamers, who now viewed them as the sanest voice, the planet had left.

In one short day, one short revolution on its axis, this world had changed forever. It would come to be known as many things, Annihilation Day (or A-Day), The Burning Day, The Day of Pain, The Day of Sorrows, and The Day of Evil. But for those of the Resistance, the rag-tag group of humans left in the world who weren’t horribly mutated, or bio-compromised, or killed by the robot army or the Demi-human hordes or the crazed and suicidal cultists, who weren’t subjugated and enslaved by the damned, they simply called it “The End”. They were the remaining hope that “humanity” had. They wouldn’t go down without a fight, and would with their last dying breath fight back the forces that had invaded their planet. Because when you have nothing left, you live for the fight. Whatever keeps you going.

Just outside of the moon’s orbit, an invasion fleet assembled.
“High Commander”, a small grayish looking alien spoke in his language. “I think you better come and look at this.
The High Commander strode to the view screen and saw a planet much different from the one presented to him in his intelligence reports. Checking his instruments and charts to be sure he was in the right place, he shrugged what could loosely be called shoulders.
“Proceed with the landings as planned…”
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Malley
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I recommend adding a line between the paragraphs, but i like it...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jibbajabbawocky
United States
Arkansas
flag msg tools
badge
Ruler of the East Coast
mbmbmbmbmb
caffeinehead wrote:
I recommend adding a line between the paragraphs, but i like it...

Edited for great victory.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Hayes
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Hayes
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
P.S.: I like it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jibbajabbawocky
United States
Arkansas
flag msg tools
badge
Ruler of the East Coast
mbmbmbmbmb
Black Canyon wrote:

Thank you, I am unfamiliar with your pic though, do I need to rename the rifts?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Hayes
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Morgansilver wrote:
Black Canyon wrote:

Thank you, I am unfamiliar with your pic though, do I need to rename the rifts?

Rifts is a pen an paper role playing game that has a similar setting to your story. Let me summarize it and tell me if it sounds familiar:

----------------
Rifts:
Roughly 300 years after the apocalypse, man has finally managed to regain a foothold on Earth. No one knows how it started, it could have been an earthquake, tsunami, or even a large-scale nuclear attack, but sometime in the 21st century millions of people died all at once.

The psychic energy released as a result of those deaths caused the ley lines, long dormant veins of energy that crisscross the planet, to explode with activity. The shock of energy rippling across the Earth triggered violent earthquakes, hurricanes, and massive natural disasters that killed billions more. Fueled by the unprecedented influx of raw psychic energy from these deaths, the very fabric of space and time tore open at the intersections of these ley lines and all manner of beasts from any number of realities poured through the rifts.

Demons, supernatural intelligences from other worlds, dragons, vampires, and hundreds of unnameable predatory monsters began to stalk the Earth. The surviving humans were no match. Magic reawoke. People developed true psychic abilities. Mankind turned on itself, blindly attacking anyone who showed signs of inhuman abilities.

Etc., etc.
----------------

What I like about your story is that the players are there at the exact moment of the end. So it's not really a post-apocalyptic setting. it's an apocalyptic one!

Anyways, I can't wait to see this turned into a board game. Rifts was a fantastic RPG. I had occasionally toyed with the idea of developing a small board game set in that world, so I am very happy to see you work on this one. Good luck and keep us posted!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jibbajabbawocky
United States
Arkansas
flag msg tools
badge
Ruler of the East Coast
mbmbmbmbmb
Okay so a little more detail.

The goal is to make this game scalable to that it could accommodate from anywhere between 2 to 9 players. There are going to be nine "factions" in the game and each will play differently from any of the others. This is why I said that the balancing for this game has nightmare potential all over it.

The mechanic is actually an unfinished mechanic from a board game that I was writing for. I started to flesh some final rules out and I believe it is not only pretty solid but also both strategic and tactical.

Every player will begin by choosing their "faction" (I really need a better name for it, but we'll roll with this). Each faction has 16 2.5"x2.5" tiles. A center tile will be drawn at random, the center tile will detail what the victory condition for this particular game is. Then taking turns, the players will each start to place their faction tiles around the center tile, this will build the game-board for this particular game. They will only choose 8 of the 16 available, so as the game surface evolves there will be some crucial decisions made as to what to play and where to play it. Not to mention that each player will also place two extra victory point locations each during the building phase so each player will eventually place 10 tiles into constructing the board.

After the game board is built, players then bring their pawns onto the surface (there are tiles where the players start) and then move their pawns around the board to control area, attack other pawns, or occupy certain tiles that only are active if a pawn is on it. So there really is two stages to this game, the long-range strategic planning phase where you construct the game-board with your tiles, and the short range tactical phase when you actually have to move your pawns around the terrain and earn victory points.

The nine "factions" are (as from the opening story)
Human (Resistance, those who were able to somehow avoid the horrors of A-Day)
Human (Mutant, Those who were nuked in the cities)
Human (Bio-Compromised, the living dead from the quarantine zone)
Human (Cultist, people who are watching the world burn)
Demi-Human (Nieblung, treasure seekers from the "old world")
Demi-Human (Orckin, warlike creatures from the "old world")
Xyzqzyx (Aliens, who landed in the middle of the chaos)
The Lost/The Damned (Tortured souls from the rifts, need a better name)
A.I. (The computers gone wild, think Terminators)

More details to come, I am open to any suggestions. I am hoping that posting this game here will keep me on track enough to finish it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shane Beck
Australia
Not Applicable
flag msg tools
Needs panzers and nukes. And Automated Factories. And Underwater Cities. Maybe throw in Giant Mecha for good measure.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jibbajabbawocky
United States
Arkansas
flag msg tools
badge
Ruler of the East Coast
mbmbmbmbmb
Shane Beck wrote:
Needs panzers and nukes. And Automated Factories. And Underwater Cities. Maybe throw in Giant Mecha for good measure.

Gotta save something for the expansions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate K
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Morgansilver wrote:

I had a dream about hell, once. It had four different levels, only one of which was the classic idea of horned demons flaying people and tossing them into fiery pits and such. The demons on that level were referred to as "The Unchanging," I assume because they refused to overcome their base natures and grow to become better individuals. I don't know, I thought it was an interesting name.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jibbajabbawocky
United States
Arkansas
flag msg tools
badge
Ruler of the East Coast
mbmbmbmbmb
kurthl33t wrote:
Morgansilver wrote:

I had a dream about hell, once. It had four different levels, only one of which was the classic idea of horned demons flaying people and tossing them into fiery pits and such. The demons on that level were referred to as "The Unchanging," I assume because they refused to overcome their base natures and grow to become better individuals. I don't know, I thought it was an interesting name.

A grand idea that I have no intention in stealing......
Excuse me (runs off to change the database)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate K
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Morgansilver wrote:

A grand idea that I have no intention in stealing......
Excuse me (runs off to change the database)

Hey, I wouldn't have posted it if I didn't mind it being used

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jibbajabbawocky
United States
Arkansas
flag msg tools
badge
Ruler of the East Coast
mbmbmbmbmb
Quick and Dirty Mockup of the Bio-Compromised "Living Dead". Have three of the groups similarly mocked up and am trying to finalize some Alpha Rules for playtesting. Thank you for your continued interest

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Hayes
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Great names.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cattlemark
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
I like the extremity of all these events occurring at once. In most cases, something that packed all this into one idea would turn me away. For some reason, though, the charm of it shattering that barrier of "too many ideas" makes it great.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jibbajabbawocky
United States
Arkansas
flag msg tools
badge
Ruler of the East Coast
mbmbmbmbmb
Black Canyon wrote:
Great names.

Thank you, wish I knew a great artist(s) to bring these great names to life (eventually).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate K
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh SURE, just tease us, why don't you, with these evocative names and cryptic icons.

I'm going to go sulk while sitting on a beanbag chair in the living room next to my wife.

Oh, wait...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.