Popular Tags: [View All]
Cyrus the Great
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm picking up some sleeves for my M:TG cube and I'm considering getting the black standard-sized FFG sleeves. Do you have any experience with these sleeves and if so, do you like them? What is the finish (smooth or glossy) on the back?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max Maloney
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
"If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason." -Jack Handey
mbmbmbmbmb
FFG sleeves are nice, though I've never used them for Magic. Most Magic players of note claim the best sleeves for Magic are the Japanese-manufactured ones:

http://www.coolstuffinc.com/main_supplies.php?fpid=Acc-Japan... (I think this is the right type)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Smith
United States
Beach Haven
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Fantasy Flight sleeves are trash. They are smooth finished but split and bend at the corners and become marked too easily. The japanese ones are the best, but ultra pros are cheaper and easier to replace.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I am serious...and don't call me Shirley
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree with Gary.Ultra Pro is the way to go. I also like Dragon Shields:
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Dap...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate Owens
United States
Saginaw
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I used the FFG sleeves on Cosmic Encounter, and they've worked really well so far. They're very thick, so cards need a lot more room when you store them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Kolman
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
In regard to the FFG sleeves, I have had only 1 sleeve split on me, and about 10 others that had a size discrepancy....and this is out of appx 1000+ that I have bought. They are more expensive (which I wish they were comparable to others in cost) but the quality has been real good.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacovis
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
FFG's sleeves biggest problems for me are too easily marked up, and they are almost always a couple of millimeters longer than really necessary for the cards. Ultra Pro sleeves are my favorites in terms of quality and textile awesomeness, BUT, the fricking ridiculous little hologram logo on the FRONT of the clear part of the sleeve always blocks some part of text, which makes me buy other sleeves.

Seriously, if Ultra-Pro could remove that stupid little hologram on the front, I would repurchase their sleeves for every game I own, but as it stands I prefer Dragonshield. I know they're more expensive, but after hundreds of games of cards, I have only had to throw away 2 sleeves, and they do not have that piece of crap Hologram on the front.

/rant

Cheers!

Jacovis

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derry Salewski
United States
Augusta
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
I'm only happy when it rains...
mbmbmbmbmb
FFG ones are definitely trash for ccgs.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.