Subject: Encounter cards with "you are dealt damage" rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Lior Kiperman
Israel
Ramat Gan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Some encounter cards give you an option of prevent damage by discarding cards with shield icons.

For example, Fornost's "Deadmen's Dike" card deals 4 damage to your hero, but you can prevent that damage and if you do you get 2 favor and receive training.

What will happen if you have no cards in your life pool, and by discarding cards from your hand to prevent the damage you will end up with 0 cards?

Are you defeated and you don't get the favor and training?
Can you get the training and remain undefeated (since you got 1 card in hand now)?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Powell
Australia
Glenrowan
Victoria
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Good question.

I would say that if you are defeated you have not prevented the damage (even though the cards may have technically blocked the damage) and so do not get the rewards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rauli Kettunen
Finland
Oulu
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You mean like say you have just 1x Block (4 shields) in hand, 0 cards in Life Pool and discard Block for Deadman's Dike? Tossing out your last card causes you to be defeated, but after defeat, I'd say you get your reward (turn still ended). Kinda like what happens to Eleanor if she goes for her quest to combat the Black Serpent and ends up getting defeated.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lior Kiperman
Israel
Ramat Gan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Both options seem logical.

In case the hero does get the reward and is defeated:

What happens if he had no favor or item? Does he lose a favor / item from the reward?

Does he keep any received skill cards in hand from the reward, or he is required to shuffle it into the life pool?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Truesdell
United States
Uniontown
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That's a tough one. The rules say as soon as you are out of cards, you are immediately defeated. I take that to mean that as soon as your lay down that card, you go into defeated mode (so in combat, it has no effect, true?). But you did discard enough shields to block the card so I say you get the favor too, 1 of which you will lose so satisfy the defeat (or item).

Still not sure about this one...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lior Kiperman
Israel
Ramat Gan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've just got an official answer:

If the hero would be defeated by discarding these cards from hand, he does NOT receive the reward.

I hope this answers your question!
-Corey Konieczka
VP of R&D
Fantasy Flight Games
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.