Subject: Question about soldier cards? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Michael Bowker
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
One question I had is how random are the cards? If for example I buy Day of Days and get Sergeant Fink will I end up with half a dozen other Fink's if I buy Causeway and other expansions?

Obviously they don't all have to be used (or could be used by different players) but I was wondering if there is a method to the soldiers that you get or if it is totally random.

Thanks. I am looking forward to teaching my wife the game. She is interested in gaming but sort of afraid to get into games at the conventions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Balaz
United States
Manchester
Maryland
flag msg tools
mb
There are four "characters" in Day of Days (two per side) that are identical in every set. They are used to set up the stories in the scenarios and are featured in the game cards. There are also two additional riflemen per side that are unique individuals - no two game sets are the same. There are "characters" in The Causeway as well, but different fron the ones included in Day of Days.

ALL of the additional NCOs and privates have their own unique identity and abilities - yet between their stats, victory points, and action cards they balance out. Your job as their Sergeant is to understand their strengths and weaknesses, and deploy them appropriately.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Bowker
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks. I was just wondering if you would end up with half a dozen of the same characters or not. After all, Private Smith, being commanded by Corporal Smith and Sgt Smith could be a bit much.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Duke
United States
Wynne
Arkansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Michael, the "Characters" that Steve mentioned are the only duplicates in the game system. And each "Story" (Day of Days is a "Story") has its own Characters. So the only way you'd have Pvt Smith, Corp Smith, and Sgt. Smith in the game would be if you bought three copies of Day of Days or The Causeway. I'm betting not many folks will do that.

Note in the photos for the card and the stands on the figures that each soldier has not only a name but also a number. While some names will certainly repeat over time, the numbers will be unique (and so will the characteristics that go with it.)

I don't see this looking like a Welsh regiment with lots of 'John Williams, 48621" to deal with.

Hope that helps.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Billings
United States
Upperco
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Kevin is correct,
The names are chosen from a core list numbering in the hundreds. Also, the Serial Numbers are different so if you buy a lot of soldiers you could on purpose create a Welsh Regiment effect. We add new names for each nationality as we add a new nation and expand the set.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Janik-Jones
Canada
Waterloo
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Great War Commander, Cats were once worshipped as gods and they haven't forgotten this, Combat Commander Europe, The Raven King (game publisher) ... that's me!, Combat Commander Pacific
badge
Slywester Janik, awarded the Krzy┼╝ Walecznych (Polish Cross of Valour), August 1944
mbmbmbmbmb
Jeff Billings wrote:
Kevin is correct,
The names are chosen from a core list numbering in the hundreds. Also, the Serial Numbers are different so if you buy a lot of soldiers you could on purpose create a Welsh Regiment effect. We add new names for each nationality as we add a new nation and expand the set.

No, no Welsh Regiments please. Can you imagine the number of Pvt. David Jones' you'd have running about? (Why do you think I added my wife's Janik name to my own?)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Duke
United States
Wynne
Arkansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe to avoid a crowd at your locker?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Wallace
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Took me a minute to get that joke. Two points.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.