haqattaqq .
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmb
Hi,
I'm looking for small clips or flags to attach to stand up generals in a war game. The generals are about the same dimensions as the Hannibal generals below. I'm looking for something to show when/how a general has been upgraded (so players would have to be able to reattach the clips many times). Each general would have three "slots" (the two sides plus the top) that would accept clips of different colors (eg red = does more damage in battle, black = better attack ability, etc).

Does anyone have any suggestions? All I can think of is paper clips, which would unfortunately be a bit big as they'd cover most of the general. I'm hoping to find something similar to the bases for the generals, but a bit smaller.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Iverson
United States
Salt Lake City
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There were some good small white clips in the standard generic copies of Masterpiece from the 70's; I think there were at least 30 per game, they held a painting card to a value card. You could spray paint them. I'm sure the games are very cheap and abundant on ebay.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Cote
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You could use binder clips, then remove the handles.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Weber
Germany
Wendeburg
Germany
flag msg tools
Yo quiero estar contigo, vivir contigo, bailar contigo
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would go for miniature clothespins which are used for dolls.

- They come in multiple colours
- They are cheap
- I'd estimate that you can attach four of them to your counters
- Easy to remove and exchange
- Not very powerful grip (but strong enough) so you don't leave marks on the counters

Below is te first shoip I googled, they offer wooden pins, you can also get them in plastic
http://www.bjcraftsupplies.com/miniatures/clothes-pins01.asp

Best regards

Mixo
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Weber
Germany
Wendeburg
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ekted wrote:

I don't think that's a good idea

- They are rather heavy, so the generals will likely fall over when a clip is attached to a side
- Removing the handles will make it very difficult to attach and detach the clips
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Gregg
United States
Franklinville
NC
flag msg tools
designer
NightfallGame.com/FAQ
badge
boardgamegeek.com/thread/1234645
mbmbmbmbmb
How about these stands from Print & Play Productions:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Migas
United States
Akron
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In Giants there is a "flag" that attaches to your player screen to say you are finished with actions for the round.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles F.
Germany
Berlin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I trust you're looking for something that'd work for your prototype rather than something relating to actual game publication?

You could always handle this stuff on playaids/cards/holding boxes etc. This is quite common, though I guess not to your liking as you're considering another approach.

Personally, I think if you have three changing values, it's way too much to handle without resorting to "off-map" tracking of those changing values.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andreas Pelikan
Austria
Vienna
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
If you upgrade each ability only once for each general in a single game, something like this may be practical:

With your upgrades being color-coded, it doesn't hurt that they slide in orthogonal to the main body.

However, if there is some heavy up&downgrading going on, the slots may wear out too quickly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
haqattaqq .
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmb
Thanks for all of the suggestions! I went with the tiny clothes pegs:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leo Zappa
United States
Aliquippa
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mixo wrote:
ekted wrote:

- They are rather heavy, so the generals will likely fall over when a clip is attached to a side
- Removing the handles will make it very difficult to attach and detach the clips

I disagree - I've gone this route on more than one occasion and they work just fine. A great surrogate for the plastic clips.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Nyberg
Canada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
http://www.boardgamedesign.com/pages/go_shopping/stands.htm

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Christopher
United States
Salem
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
In the wonderful game, Bonaparte at Marengo, this is how to get nasty Frenchies out of a village.
mbmbmbmbmb
Mixo wrote:
ekted wrote:

Clip them on the bottom.

Mixo wrote:

The handles on these types of clips are very easy to replace, so it's easy to remove them from the commanders if/when necessary.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Todesco
United States
Chicago Suburbs
Illinois
flag msg tools
Read it again, carefully...
badge
Hey! I bought OverText! I'm cooler than you!
mbmbmbmbmb
Or head over to http://www.shapeways.com/ and design your own.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.