Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
8 Posts

Napoleon's Triumph» Forums » General

Subject: Replacement commanders rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
In my last game we used blocks from Columbia Games as commanders. I'm sure you guys have armies of blank markers by now. Here's how they work:

1. Tape one side of the blocks and scribble names on them. You can lie the blocks flat or place them upright on a group of pieces to represent a corps.

2. Once a corps has moved, flip the block over (or lie it flat if you had them standing upright). This way you won't need the command track. We find this system to be more convenient. By the end of your turn, flip the commanders back.

3. Keep the black markers. Record independent commands by placing a marker next to a unit which just moved. You can also use them to track corps road movement and bombarded approaches.

I have just created portraits for one side of the blocks ("blockheads") and Napoleonic, Russian, and Habsburg eagles for the other side. Next I'll have them printed at a print shop.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nagato Fujibayashi

Athens
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Although I love blockgames and I very much prefer them from hex-and-counter(clearly from a playing pieces point of view), I would feel sorry to see the banners of the commanders missing from the field. Same with the black command markers, I think that the game is very well designed and doesn't need a lot of additions from my side.

The bombardment and road move markers however could possibly be of some use for players with weak memory, like me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Buttridge
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
This game is beatiful as is....production and appearance. I would hate to change it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Left to right: Liechtenstein, Bagration, Murat, Lannes, and Joe, to fill extra slot on sticker sheet. Portraits face opponent during play, flip backwards after moving so that you can tell which corps have moved at a glance.

The portraits are taken from authentic oil paintings, rendered in 600 dpi and extremely detailed. The heraldries are historical too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Left to right, then front to back:
Legrand, Constantine, Murat, Bagration
Kollorath, Miloradovich, Langeron, Saint-Hilaire, Kienmayer
Bessieres, Bernadotte, Lannes, Vandamme
Dokhturov, Davout, Liechtenstein, Joe, and Prebyshevsky.

Note:
Joe wasn't in the game but there was an extra slot on my sticker sheet and there he went!

Prebyshevsky -- Ah, the problem child. Nowhere was he mentioned. Tolstoy's War and Peace said that he was a Polish general in Russian service (and, along with French loyalist Langeron, took the blame in popular opinion after Austerlitz). Other than that, he is invisible. The portrait I use was that of Matvei Platov, illustrious Russian general who commanded the Cossacks.

Face the "eagles" of your commanders toward yourself. Face their portraits toward the opponent so that he can tell the corps from each other. Flip backwards to note that a corps has moved. This way you won't need the command track! Keep the black markers and place them beside independent pieces which have moved.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Richbourg
United States
Arlington
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
This is Kyoshi, our adopted Shiba Inu.
mbmbmbmbmb
Why didn't you put the face on both sides of each block?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Since the player has a full view of the corps content, he could probably tell the corps from each other easily, don't you think? I know it isn't relevant to game play, but I wanted something to denote the commander's nationality. Besides, there's something about the eagles that I just can't take them away!

You might have also noticed that I didn't place names on the portraits. I think the stickers are pretty busy already. Names would have to be placed on appropriate frames but I'm not an artistic person, just know some rudimentary photoshopping. So I stick to the basics and get the graphics right. On second thought, I could have placed their names under the eagles... hmm... Any inputs from artists out there are welcome.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Richbourg
United States
Arlington
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
This is Kyoshi, our adopted Shiba Inu.
mbmbmbmbmb
Or the name on the top edge of each block.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.