Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Martin Smith
New Zealand
Wellington
--------------
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

I'm a bit horrified to admit that, for such a simple game with such simple rules, I'm wondering whether I've been playing it wrong. In the Admiral's Game, there are different rules (to the Captain's Game) for Attacking. I have been applying those rules as if they stood alone, but now I'm wondering whether some of them are instead supposed to be modifications of/additions to the Captain's Game attack rules.

The Battleship seems straightforward. Bursts do not count as hits. Therefore I conclude that a hit is (only) when the target ship image is rolled. Hopefully that, at least, is right.

The Submarine also seems clear initially - only an explosion (burst) is a hit [ie, ship images are irrelevant - as in the Captain's Game, isn't it ...?]. But maybe ship images can also be hits for sinking by accumulated hits?

With the Destroyer, the Rules say 'Each burst counts as 2 hits', and the card states likewise, which is fine. But I've taken that as meaning that ship images do not count as hits for the Destroyer in this game. Is that correct? Or do you still count ship images as hits, but Bursts have a double value?

For the Aircraft Carrier, it seems from the Rules that you still take both bursts and the ship image as hits, but the card refers only to Bursts counting as 1 hit (which might be interpreted as saying ship images don't count). And so too with the Patrol Boat (again the Card refers only to Bursts counting as 1 hit). Which is correct?

I feel pretty dopey having to ask this ... Can someone put me out of my misery?

Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Walkingshaw
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi, Martin. I don't know the rules for the Captain's game off the top of my head, but I can answer your questions for the Admiral's game. As far as I know, the Admiral's game rules stand entirely on their own and are not connected in any way to the Captain's game.

smithnewz wrote:
The Battleship seems straightforward. Bursts do not count as hits. Therefore I conclude that a hit is (only) when the target ship image is rolled. Hopefully that, at least, is right.

Correct.

smithnewz wrote:
The Submarine also seems clear initially - only an explosion (burst) is a hit [ie, ship images are irrelevant - as in the Captain's Game, isn't it ...?]. But maybe ship images can also be hits for sinking by accumulated hits?

The Submarine can instantly sink any ship with a single burst, but it can also sink ships the standard way with ship images. For example, you can sink a Patrol Boat with a Sub by rolling three Patrol Boat images.

smithnewz wrote:
With the Destroyer, the Rules say 'Each burst counts as 2 hits', and the card states likewise, which is fine. But I've taken that as meaning that ship images do not count as hits for the Destroyer in this game. Is that correct? Or do you still count ship images as hits, but Bursts have a double value?

You still count the ship images. Basically, you can always count ship images as hits on the corresponding ship. So, if you roll two bursts and a Battleship image with your Destroyer, you can sink your opponent's Battleship.

smithnewz wrote:
For the Aircraft Carrier, it seems from the Rules that you still take both bursts and the ship image as hits, but the card refers only to Bursts counting as 1 hit (which might be interpreted as saying ship images don't count). And so too with the Patrol Boat (again the Card refers only to Bursts counting as 1 hit). Which is correct?

Bursts are one hit and ship images are one hit, for both ships.

smithnewz wrote:
I feel pretty dopey having to ask this ... Can someone put me out of my misery?

Don't sweat it! I was excited to see a Battleship Express post pop up in my subscriptions!
arrrh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Smith
New Zealand
Wellington
--------------
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Thanks very much for your answers Eric. It makes me glad I asked, as I had seemingly been playing it wrong.

Quote:
As far as I know, the Admiral's game rules stand entirely on their own and are not connected in any way to the Captain's game.

In my terminology, though, your answers do mean that the Admiral's Game attack rules are supposed to be taken as modifications of/additions to the Captain's Game attack rules, rather than standing alone. What I meant by that was that the Admiral's Rules (and cards) mostly don't say anything about target ship images being a hit - they just explicitly refer to Bursts (explosions). But your answers indicate that you play that ship images still count too (as per the Captain's game), and so the Admiral's Game rules can be seen as effectively amendments to those rules (not complete statements in themselves).

At least I think that's what you're saying, conceptually. I can see I wasn't very clear in my point on that ...

But your answers are very clear on how to play! Thanks again!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Walkingshaw
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You're welcome! Thanks for the tip.

smithnewz wrote:
Quote:
As far as I know, the Admiral's game rules stand entirely on their own and are not connected in any way to the Captain's game.

In my terminology, though, your answers do mean that the Admiral's Game attack rules are supposed to be taken as modifications of/additions to the Captain's Game attack rules, rather than standing alone. What I meant by that was that the Admiral's Rules (and cards) mostly don't say anything about target ship images being a hit - they just explicitly refer to Bursts (explosions). But your answers indicate that you play that ship images still count too (as per the Captain's game), and so the Admiral's Game rules can be seen as effectively amendments to those rules (not complete statements in themselves).

Ah, I'm sure you are right. It's been a while since I read the rules.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.