Robert
Japan
Tokyo
flag msg tools
badge
mb
I'm going camping with a mix of Japanese and non-Japanese friends -- 6 total -- and it's hard to find a common way to communicate. Here's the breakdown.

Camper 1 - Japanese person. Reads English moderately well but not so fast. Isn't confident in English speaking/listening but has fair ability.
Camper 2 - Japanese. Very good English reading/writing/speaking but has a hearing impairment and prefers lip reading (English/Japanese).
Campers 3 to 6 - Non-Japanese. All four of us have English varying from very good to native. Three have good Japanese reading/writing/speaking/listening but one has low ability.

I can explain the rules in both Japanese and English but it's in-game language that's the challenge. Also, this will be at a campsite so game pieces have to be relatively nature-proof and playable on a small, folding table. Do any of you have recommendations for games that would work for us?

Here are a few games I thought might work.

Telestrations

No Thanks!

For Sale

I'm very open to other suggestions. Thanks in advance!

Edit: They're all non-gamers!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Morris
England
Faversham
Kent
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The games I play in class with Japanese students with relatively low English ability are: No Thanks!, 6 Nimmt, Coloretto, Hey! That's My Fish!, Pitchcar Mini. Basically any game where all the language comes from rules explanation.

If you have a lipreader then you should avoid games where more than one person is talking in the game at the same time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Green
England
Horsham
West Sussex
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

I have to suggest Mow

There are two small pages of rules, the cards are language independent, there are diagrammatic explanation cards and the game comes with Japanese and English rules in the box. Excellent light filler game of filthy cow herding.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Markus Hagenauer jr.
Germany
Surheim
Germany
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
For Sale is a good idea,

further I´d suggest
Pickomino
Vicious Fishes
and maybe Fairy Tale (for up to 5 players only)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris in Kansai
Japan
Otsu
Shiga
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Arkham Horror, definitely.

Oops, sorry. Wrong thread...

How about Survive? The pieces are fairly sturdy, the footprints not too big and all the tile instructions are visual symbols. It's a hoot of a game too.
The only in-game dialogue is very obvious trashtalking or pleading for mercy so that shouldn't be a problem.
Spreading a plastic sheet under the table could avoid any dramatic meeple bids for freedom or whathaveyou in the event of spillage.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clyde W
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
Red Team
badge
#YOLO
mbmbmbmbmb
Hanabi & Ikebana -- the box says 2-5 but I don't see 2-6 isn't possible

Reasons: it's a "Japanese" game about fireworks (designed by the French designer who also made 7 Wonders), it's a co-op, it's easy to explain and great for non-gamers, the game's ruleset actually discourages table talk, and all communication you need to do with your teammates you can do via simple gestures. This is one game where not talking actually improves the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Diz Hooper
Japan
Osaka
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll second Survive as well.

Other games that I've had success with Japanese are:

Diamant (Incan Gold)
Liar's Dice
Saboteur
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Cappello
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Why not try Dixit? Since the clues really only need be one word or, at the very least, short descriptions or even sounds, it might make it more fun since some of the struggle with the language is clearly going to come into play. All you need are the cards and a piece of paper with pen.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hoyle A
United States
fiskdale
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Absolutely, 100% Hive even though it only plays 2.
Qwirkle Cubes would work too
Ca$h 'n Gun$ is silly fun for up to 6 players
Tsuro is quick and easy, plays up to 8
Carcassonne would probably work, depending on how flat the table is
Medici would work if everyone knows a common language for numbers
Money! is a neat light game of set collection and blind bids
Ra might work
blockus

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mitch Willis
United States
Kathleen
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 Telestrations
+1 For Sale
+1 Unnamed Object (aka Diamant)
+1 Saboteur
+1 6 nimmt! (aka 6 Nimmt!)
Wizard
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
lisa smith
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Turn the Tide has been very popular with casual gamers I know and there is no language needed after the explaination. Plays up to five.

Qwirkle has no in game lanuage requirements but only plays 4. Might spread out too much for your table,depending on the size of table,

I find Eat Poop You Cat to be better than Telestrations. The former is free.

I've always thought Maskenball Venezia would be good for people who lip read but it's hard to find.

might also check out Read My Lips, a party game based on lip reading. Haven't played but seemed worth mentioning for your situation.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Laurence Parsons
United Kingdom
Bristol
flag msg tools
Old enough to know what's right
badge
Young enough not to choose it
mbmbmbmbmb
from the above suggestions, I'd do with Liar's Dice, Pickomino and Saboteur. All easily packed. Sabotuer is a card game, so less nature-proof, but the other two are sturdy enough, and completely language-independent.
Have fun
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeffrey Nolin
Japan
Nakamachi, Hiroshima
Hiroshima-ken
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As some may want to play more than others, here is what I'd bring for small table variety. Watching others play short 2-player games is a good way to teach and get non-gamers interested/involved. Outfox, available from Funagain, is the best investment in games I've made.

Hive
Frogs
Outfox
Quarto
Sushizock
Tsuro
Dixit
Court of the Medici
Zertz
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Dodor
United States
St. Paul
MN
flag msg tools
badge
I'm gonna be the next Canadian Dracula
mbmbmbmbmb
Würfel Bingo can be printed off. Then all you need is two dice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freelance Police
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Found several geeklists you can go through:
http://boardgamegeek.com/geeksearch.php?action=search&object...

Otherwise, Pickomino +1.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Kaiser
United States
Aurora
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
For camping trips any dice game is usually a good bet. Since you are outdoors and subject to the weather (wind, rain) and are usually not in the cleanest environment, any kind of boardgame or cardgame is generally not a good choice although a game with just cards wouldn't be as bad. Any game with lots of little pieces should not be considered.

For dice games for 6 players I'd say an easy and cheap one would be Farkel. Easy to teach and quick. It sounds like you have a group that's not all gamers so a simple game like this wouldn't be bad. Pickomino is another that comes to mind. Nice chunky bakelite pieces that won't blow away if the wind picks up. Another to consider would be Liar's Dice.

With dice games on camping trips I usually use a small box top with the dice in and just pass that around from person to person. Saves you having to search around on the ground for the dice all the time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.