Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Wasp Factoryman
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi,
Did I calculate this correctly?

I had three 7-4-7 American units all with Assault Fire capability and in adjacent hex’s. I chose to group fire them in the Advancing Fire Phase at a German unit hunkered down in a building two hexes away. ½ FP but rounded up (FRU) so a 7 FP becomes a 4 FP for each of the three units. Add modified FP’s together for 12 FP and then add Assault modifier +1 for each unit giving a total of 15 FP. I had Leaders with only two of the units so could not use their DRM as not all units in the FG were Leader directed. Was that all correct?

It all proved academic in the end as I rolled a blasted 11. I still knee-jerk whooped until I remembered my ASL mantra : Low is Good- High is Bad. It’s a real mental adjustment which I forget continually, oh that and Residual Fire too.

Best regards,
Jonathan

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Miikka Sohlman
Finland
Lahti
flag msg tools
I live in the city of Gulf, on the shores of Lake Water. This fun fact has nothing to do with this badge you're pointing at.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The total of 15 FP is correct but why did you calculated 4 x 3 + 1 x 3 = 15 instead of just 5 x 3 = 15?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pierce Ostrander
United States
Albuquerque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Johnathan,

Your calculations were correct.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wasp Factoryman
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Excellent! It was a bit long winded calculation my way but I am learning. It went a bit like this:

I'll Group Fire so thats 3 x 7 = 21 (Check rules).
No, it 1/2 FP for AFPh so it's 3 x 3 = 9 (Check rules).
Blast! It's FRU so it's 3 x 4 = 12...wait a minute, what does that underscoring mean on the FP (Check rules).
Assault modifier after mod's, I like that, so it's 12 + 3 =15, hooray!!!
Doubt: was that correct? Check with the Wise Priests of BGG...

Pretty much how I worked out...

Best regards

Jonathan

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Miikka Sohlman
Finland
Lahti
flag msg tools
I live in the city of Gulf, on the shores of Lake Water. This fun fact has nothing to do with this badge you're pointing at.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I understand.

But remember, it's only FRU if using Assault Fire (in AFPh) with underscored FP. If it weren't underscored there wouldn't be roundings at all and the total would be only 10.5 (column 8 on the IFT)

So, if they were firing Subsequent First Fire instead, which also halves the FP, there would be no Assault bonus and each squad could muster up only 3.5 FP.

By the way, do you know what the FP would have been if everyone was shooting Point Blank against an adjacent enemy? (Not 30).

It would be 24.
1/2 for AFPh (3.5)
x2 for PBF (back to 7)
no fractions to round up
Add 1 (8)
x3 for three squads (24)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddy del Rio
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just to be picky, FRU last. You would calculate for an individual unit first, then multiply by number in FG if distance/status is the same for all.

747 gets 3.5FP (AFPh) for normal range attack (remember Long Range nullifies AF Bonus)
add 1 for AF bonus =4.5
Lastly, FRU = 5FP

x3 units with same = 15FP/on 12 FP column
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Cote
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Although the correct value was reached a number of times, Eddy is the only one who did it the technically correct way.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Miikka Sohlman
Finland
Lahti
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
OK, it's good that Eddy clarified the correct order of the final two calculations (+1, then FRU), but mathematically it won't make a difference.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Cote
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's a less confusing description. Say you remember it as: Half FP, rounded up, +1 for each unit. Then you find yourself in a situation where you have a 7-4-7 (AFC) and two 2-2-6's. It's much better to do 5+1+1, than it is to do 4+1+1 then figure out how many 1's to add. If you automatically add +1 for each unit, you will incorrectly be on the 8 column.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Miikka Sohlman
Finland
Lahti
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Of course adding all units together should be the very very final step. When I said "the final two calculations" I meant for a single unit, before adding other units to the sum.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Ireland
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Eddy is correct

SKRB 3.5 Advancing Fire Phase (AFPH): "A squad wit an underlined FP factor may use Assault Fire. Assault Fire capability allows any squad using it own FP during the AFPh to add one FP to its attack after all modifications to the squad's own FP, any fraction is then rounded up.

The assault FP is calculated normally for AFPh but then +1 is added to the units FP, after the addition the rounding up of any fraction occurs.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.