Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Marty Sample
United States
MILFORD
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Played the two player game twice. So we got exposed to the four different factions. To our admittedly novice eyes, the NY faction seems hamstrung. The other powers have "built in" abilities that give them a Range 2 or Range 3 Contact every turn. However, NY gets only a Range 1. In our game, I was the NY player and spend the first two turns trying to churn as many cards as possible to get a 1 range card to Contact. I had all 2 and 3 range cards. Hell, I even swapped two cards for one with no luck. There were no leaders or instant Contact cards. Finally, on the 3rd turn Lookout Phase I got a Range 3 blue contact, and I was finally able to get some sort of Resource producing engine going, but by then my opponent was too far ahead.

NY seems weak compared to the other factions because of this.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Monika Żabicka
Poland
Wodzisław Śl.
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I never got this feeling. What's more, at the beginning I thought it was the strongest faction :)
I suppose it all depends on cards. That's it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leonardo Camara
Brazil
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree. The starting hand can make or break.

In one game one of the players made a killer start with NY: a leader, a range 1 card and a very good card of the same type to redevelop. I can check the exact cards later, but I remember he got 5 VPs on round 1 with a good setup for the next round.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Cunningham
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We have a player who refuses to play NY. He's emphatic that they're hobbled to the point of being unplayable. It didn't help that I tried to prove him wrong by playing NY the last time...and then lost. blush
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Spencer Egart
United States
Independence
Kentucky
flag msg tools
My group plays 51st a bunch... and New York has never won.

There aren't enough Range-1 cards to reliably be able to build stuff, and getting extra range is difficult and almost entirely a matter of luck. I'd take 2 Scrap for 2 Range over 1 for 1 any day - getting more scrap is easier than getting more range.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cyril Ronseaux
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I find NY quite strong.. or say quite Potent.

Yet...
- you have to concentrate a lot on drawing Distance 1 cards, some helps opponent, some are quite crap, some you will prefer to spoil

Cards like Sharrash (ideally as coop) are excellent for NY.
Bricks and being prepared to redevelop, also helps a lot.

It quite depends on what you draw, I agree.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Levi Greenfield
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
As New York you really want cards that extend your incorporation range, not necessarily early but definitely later on. Then you really get good use out of having the lowest incorporation cost of any faction in the game.

If New York doesn't get good locations early, it is often pretty easy to rely on conquering to keep yourself moving, and there is almost ALWAYS some 1 distance locations, so you can spam those locations, preparing for your future 'empire'.

Remember, incorporation ALWAYS gives a VP, while conquering and making deals do not. So in that sense a scrap is more valuable than a weapon or fuel, since neither of those have an auto VP with them when used with their action (plus locations have the other strength of not being limited to 3, so it is rare that just throwing a location out there ends up hurting you, while deals could become outclassed and replaced).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Sherlock
United States
Anaheim Hills
California
flag msg tools
badge
Admin @ www.cigargeeks.com
mbmbmbmbmb
I wouldn't say weak. They just play a bit differently than the other two and the learning curve is a bit steeper. Once they get rolling, they are pretty powerful.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.