Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Hunter Shelburne
United States
San Marcos
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
Check out Weaponsgrade Tabletop on Youtube!
mbmbmbmbmb
I have been playing around with choices for a new game, and have been going around, doing small tests of certain ones. I have narrowed the list of games to buy down to:

Euprates and Tigris: I am very interested, not one I played, but saw played. Plus I saw the great reviews it got. Intriguing

Samurai: One of the best games I have played, its strange how something that looks so simple could be so enthralling.

Formula De: Might seem out of place, but this is also one of my favorite games that I tested out. Many peope complain about it being a dicefest, but I love the game mechanics, I love racing, and I love painting minis, for which I could get for this game.

What order should I get these games, and what are some decent prices for them? Any help would be great.

EDIT: Is Formula De Mini worth the buy? Are the cars the same size? From what I've seen, the only difference is a bit lighter rules and the track size.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom "Snicker Daddy" Pancoast
United States
Henrico
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you have any worries about E&T being too heavy, Samurai is much lighter. If you know you want something deep, go for E&T. If you are looking for something with some push your luck, for for Formula De.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hunter Shelburne
United States
San Marcos
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll probably put Formula De and Samurai on top, not sure if my gaming buddies will enjoy how heavy Euphrate is, but they'll get into heavier games at some point

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Goo
United States
Yorba Linda
California
flag msg tools
badge
Try to be nice to people, avoid eating fat, read a good book every now and then, get some walking in, and try and live together in peace and harmony with people of all creeds and nations.
mb
I say never mind the "heavy" talk. Just don't tell them it's heavy when you introduce it. T&E is actually fairly simple to play, but confusing to explain for some reason. It's kind of like a deep, deep version of Samurai with battles. In fact, Samurai is a great intro to T&E (though, truly they are not that much alike).

I got Samurai for $25 I think, and Tigris & Euphrates for about $32. I buy all my games at www.timewellspent.com (not an advertisement, they've just always been very good to me).

I hear Samurai is going out of print, so you might want to snap it up if you are considering it at all.

-goo

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren M
Canada
Fort Vermilion
AB
flag msg tools
badge
mb
I would personally buy E&T 1st and Samurai 2nd and probably would not get Formula De.

They all have their appeal...E&T is a great game with a lot of depth that IS SIMPLE to learn...despite having a reputation for being rules heavy and complex...to play well may be tougher but the gameplay itself isn't very difficult at all.

Samurai is even easier to get into and is one of the nicer looking games around as well. It scales very well from 2 to 4 players (as does E&T).

Both these games are must haves IMO whereas Formula De is more of an "experience" game where it really helps if you like the theme and a lot of dice rolling to really get into it. Fun in the right group with the right people...but not really something that appeals to me personally. I'd rather recommend a game like Daytona 500 if I wanted a good racing type of game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Wong
Singapore
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
Quote:
I buy all my games at www.timewellspent.com (not an advertisement, they've just always been very good to me).

David,
Went to check out the site you recommended. Dont think they're around any more -

"timewellspent.com is no longer in service.

Everyone at Time Well Spent would like to thank you for your patronage. It has been a pleasure serving you. Should you have any questions regarding timewellspent.com please feel free to email us at info@timewellspent.com."soblue

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gregory Brayton
United States
Granger
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I believe its timewellspent.org never purchased from them myself..

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Bregoli
United States
Westfield
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmb
Peter WCK wrote:

David,
Went to check out the site you recommended. Dont think they're around any more -

"timewellspent.com is no longer in service.

The correct URL is www.timewellspent.ORG

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hunter Shelburne
United States
San Marcos
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for all the replies. E&T and Samurai are both on an equal footing at the moment. On the uphand, E&T is better, but a bit hader to teach. I dont really have a great gaming group, so I'm not sure if they will catch on. Not sure, I might try Samurai first.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.