Popular Tags: [View All]
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bjlillo wrote:
After spending the last couple years making sure Mexican drug cartels were well armed through Operation Fast and Furious, the Obama Administration today announced new regulations (put in place by executive fiat) requiring firearm dealers in the American Southwest to report certain firearm sales to the ATF.

Quote:
The Obama administration on Monday approved a new regulation requiring firearms dealers along the Southwest border to report multiple sales of certain semiautomatic rifles, a rule intended to make it harder for Mexican drug cartels to obtain and smuggle weapons from the United States.

Under the rule, dealers in Arizona, California, New Mexico and Texas will be required to inform the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives if someone buys — within a five-day period — more than one semiautomatic rifle that accepts a detachable magazine and uses ammunition greater than .22 caliber. Such weapons include AK-47s.

Dealers nationwide are already required to report bulk sales of handguns, and the A.T.F. applied to impose such a regulation late last year to help detect bulk “straw buyers” — people who say they are buying weapons for themselves but then transfer them to criminals.

Phew. That's a relief. Hopefully these new reporting requirements will help stop Mexican drug cartels from killing any more border patrol agents with the guns they previously forced these dealers to sell into Mexico.

As I understand it they allowed arms shipments thru, they did not force any one to arm the drug cartels. Also Operation Fast and Furious lasted from 2009 to 2010, that not a couple of years where I come from. Also who authorised the operation?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damien
United States
Knoxville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
slatersteven wrote:
bjlillo wrote:
After spending the last couple years making sure Mexican drug cartels were well armed through Operation Fast and Furious, the Obama Administration today announced new regulations (put in place by executive fiat) requiring firearm dealers in the American Southwest to report certain firearm sales to the ATF.

Quote:
The Obama administration on Monday approved a new regulation requiring firearms dealers along the Southwest border to report multiple sales of certain semiautomatic rifles, a rule intended to make it harder for Mexican drug cartels to obtain and smuggle weapons from the United States.

Under the rule, dealers in Arizona, California, New Mexico and Texas will be required to inform the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives if someone buys — within a five-day period — more than one semiautomatic rifle that accepts a detachable magazine and uses ammunition greater than .22 caliber. Such weapons include AK-47s.

Dealers nationwide are already required to report bulk sales of handguns, and the A.T.F. applied to impose such a regulation late last year to help detect bulk “straw buyers” — people who say they are buying weapons for themselves but then transfer them to criminals.

Phew. That's a relief. Hopefully these new reporting requirements will help stop Mexican drug cartels from killing any more border patrol agents with the guns they previously forced these dealers to sell into Mexico.

As I understand it they allowed arms shipments thru, they did not force any one to arm the drug cartless. Also Operation Fast and Furious laster from 2009 to 2010, that not a couple of years where I come from. Also who authoirised the operation?

Local arms dealers did call the ATF on several sales they felt were suspicious and were told to go ahead and let them go. While not forcing it does seem odd to not follow up on a gun stores hunch that the sales were fishy.

http://canadafreepress.com/index.php/article/38374
from the article:
Under the Obama administration, “Operation Fast and Furious” was launched in early 2009. Under the umbrella of Project Gunrunner, The BATFE commissioned gun shops in the U.S. to sell weapons to known criminal suspects. Ostensibly, this operation was for interdiction purposes, but the agents involved were ordered not to interdict the weapons. What resulted was a mass amount of weapons that actually and genuinely originated in the U.S., with the knowledge and approval of the BATFE, being permitted to “walk” unmolested across the southern border (hence the satirical name “gunwalker”).

It does seem that this stretches back further than Obama though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
lochmoigh wrote:
slatersteven wrote:
bjlillo wrote:

Quote:

As I understand it they allowed arms shipments thru, they did not force any one to arm the drug cartless. Also Operation Fast and Furious laster from 2009 to 2010, that not a couple of years where I come from. Also who authoirised the operation?

Local arms dealers did call the ATF on several sales they felt were suspicious and were told to go ahead and let them go. While not forcing it does seem odd to not follow up on a gun stores hunch that the sales were fishy.

from the article:
Under the Obama administration, “Operation Fast and Furious” was launched in early 2009. Under the umbrella of Project Gunrunner, The BATFE commissioned gun shops in the U.S. to sell weapons to known criminal suspects. Ostensibly, this operation was for interdiction purposes, but the agents involved were ordered not to interdict the weapons. What resulted was a mass amount of weapons that actually and genuinely originated in the U.S., with the knowledge and approval of the BATFE, being permitted to “walk” unmolested across the southern border (hence the satirical name “gunwalker”).

I don’t disagree its wrong, I disagree with the polemical nature if the original post.

It does seem as if project Gunrunner may have in fact carried out this type of operation already (before 2009).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Ellis
United States
Brookline
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I wasn't familiar with Operation Fast and Furious until the OP made me look it up. Thanks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damien
United States
Knoxville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
slatersteven wrote:
lochmoigh wrote:
slatersteven wrote:
bjlillo wrote:

Quote:

from the article:

I don’t disagree its wrong, I disagree with the polemical nature if the original post.

It does seem as if project Gunrunner may have in fact carried out this type of operation already (before 2009).

All politicians are dogs. Both sides have their "black ops" that they don't want the general public to know about. Most Gov't bureaucracy is so ineffectual as to be laughable, this case proves yet again that thought.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
lochmoigh wrote:
slatersteven wrote:
lochmoigh wrote:
slatersteven wrote:
bjlillo wrote:

Quote:

from the article:

All politicians are dogs. Both sides have their "black ops" that they don't want the general public to know about. Most Gov't bureaucracy is so ineffectual as to be laughable, this case proves yet again that thought.

I agree, its not like Regan or Bush did not carry out didgey operations (or arm maniacs). To many outside the USA its often not that easy to tell the differnces between the two US parites (the real irony with Obhama is that outside the USA he was represented as a real break from the usual sameness of American politics, which does not in fact appear true).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John O'Haver PhoDOGrapher
United States
Louisville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
Pet photographer, that's me.
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
I wasn't familiar with Operation Fast and Furious until the OP made me look it up. Thanks.

I've been aware of this operation since the news broke. Apparently, the news only broke in the various gun related e-newsletters I get because I thought everyone was aware of this bungled bad idea. I think enforcing the laws already on the books should be attempted before coming up with new rules. Also I'd like to know if there are any attempts being made by anyone, anywhere to interdict the military grade arms coming into Mexico from anywhere else.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bjlillo wrote:
slatersteven wrote:
As I understand it they allowed arms shipments thru, they did not force any one to arm the drug cartels. Also Operation Fast and Furious lasted from 2009 to 2010, that not a couple of years where I come from. Also who authorised the operation?

Arms dealers who expressed concern on multiple occasions were told to make sales that they knew were not a good idea by the ATF. That seems like forcing to me.

2009-2010 is a couple of years.

As I understand it they asked the ATF about the deals and were told to go ahead, that is not the same as making them do it.
Also 2009-2010 is a one year duration, In fact it ended a year (or more) ago and has not (as you put it) been in operation for the last couple of years.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damien
United States
Knoxville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
slatersteven wrote:
lochmoigh wrote:
slatersteven wrote:
lochmoigh wrote:
slatersteven wrote:
bjlillo wrote:

Quote:

from the article:

I agree, its not like Regan or Bush did not carry out didgey operations (or arm maniacs). To many outside the USA its often not that easy to tell the differnces between the two US parites (the real irony with Obhama is that outside the USA he was represented as a real break from the usual sameness of American politics, which does not in fact appear true).

Don't leave the Brits out, you guys have the lock on getting bad people to do things for you, if anything our dogs learned from yours.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Vincent
United States
Ridgefield
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've been wondering why there hasn't been any discussion about this topic on RSP. I've been reading about it daily for months. It was even on CBS back in March. I guess where you get your news is important.

For those who want some background, here's a roundup of links.

If you want to dig into it more, check out this report:

http://oversight.house.gov/images/stories/Reports/ATF_Report...

slatersteven wrote:
bjlillo wrote:

2009-2010 is a couple of years.

Also 2009-2010 is a one year duration,

2009-2010 is a range of time that could be as little as 1 second to as much as 2 years. Quit arguing about it; the duration hardly the point.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
lochmoigh wrote:
slatersteven wrote:
lochmoigh wrote:
slatersteven wrote:
lochmoigh wrote:
slatersteven wrote:
bjlillo wrote:

Quote:

from the article:

Don't leave the Brits out, you guys have the lock on getting bad people to do things for you, if anything our dogs learned from yours.

Theres no question of that. But as wew are not rsponsible for Obhama its a bit irrelevant.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Vincent
United States
Ridgefield
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
slatersteven wrote:

There are some who think the whole point of the operation was to essentially manufacture a crisis in order to facilitate gun control legislation.

Considering how horribly ineffective the operation was at catching any actual criminals, the theory isn't that far fetched.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
SabreRedleg wrote:
slatersteven wrote:

There are some who think the whole point of the operation was to essentially manufacture a crisis in order to facilitate gun control legislation.

Considering how horribly ineffective the operation was at catching any actual criminals, the theory isn't that far fetched.

So by making it a crisis they are dooinjg the gun control lobbys job for them. Now why would someone do that?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
http://www.abovetopsecret.com/forum/thread726054/pg1 When did this start? oddly I am having difficulty fiding anything about this form mainstream media. Nor am I finding any real evidacen that in fact this was gunrunning. it seems to be linked to two arrests and one press release realted to those http://www.atf.gov/press/releases/2010/09/092210-tam-firearm.... So I am begining to wonder if this is a manafactured crisis, but not for the resons stated in this thread.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris R.
United States
Unspecified
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bjlillo wrote:
Chad_Ellis wrote:

Wow. I didn't realize the media was burying it that well. That makes me a bit sad.

(Mexican) Congressman Humberto Trevino claims that an estimated 150 shooting injuries or deaths have been linked to guns that were allowed by US agents to proceed into Mexico.

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-31727_162-20041150-10391695.html

Sending weapons to the enemies of Mexicans, Americans, Mexican-Americans?

I guess President Obama must really have that vote wrapped up.

At least when Oliver North was involved with something like this a few innocent American hostages got to escape bondage and execution...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris R.
United States
Unspecified
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Isn't it Ironic?

Was it also ironic when the Obama Justice Department targeted the homes of peace activists or "peace activists" in Illinois, Minneapolis, Michigan, and North Carolina including at least eight addresses in Minneapolis and Chicago?

http://edition.cnn.com/2010/CRIME/09/24/fbi.searches/
http://www.theuptake.org/2010/09/24/why-peace-activist-mick-...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
tscook wrote:
sikeospi wrote:
Quote:
Isn't it Ironic?

Was it also ironic when the Obama Justice Department targeted the homes of peace activists or "peace activists" in Illinois, Minneapolis, Michigan, and North Carolina including at least eight addresses in Minneapolis and Chicago?

No, only conservatives really think Obama represents the left.

Only American conservatives think he represents the left. In the UK he is slighlty right of center.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I see you...
United States
Avon
Ohio
flag msg tools
"I made a promise on the grave of my parents...
badge
...that I would rid this city of the evil that took their lives. "
mbmbmbmbmb
slatersteven wrote:
tscook wrote:
sikeospi wrote:
Quote:
Isn't it Ironic?

Only American conservatives think he represents the left. In the UK he is slighlty right of center.

And given that we're talking about American politics, what the UK, or the rest of the world, thinks about his politics, is irrelevant.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dispaminite wrote:
slatersteven wrote:
tscook wrote:
sikeospi wrote:
Quote:
Isn't it Ironic?

And given that we're talking about American politics, what the UK, or the rest of the world, thinks about his politics, is irrelevant.

True, but that does not mean we cannot hold (or express) a view. But there is a the fact that as an outsider some one form the UK is not affected by the partisan politics of the USA.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scotland
Edinburgh
flag msg tools
It's a sair fecht fur a hauf loaf.
badge
Furry boots?
mbmbmbmbmb
Dispaminite wrote:
slatersteven wrote:
tscook wrote:

But it does highlight that those who consider Obama to be left-wing are extremists.

Edit: Spelling

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Stirlingmoomoo wrote:
Dispaminite wrote:
slatersteven wrote:
tscook wrote:

But it does highlight that those who consider Obama to be left-wing are extremists.

Far right perhaps, but not extremists.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scotland
Edinburgh
flag msg tools
It's a sair fecht fur a hauf loaf.
badge
Furry boots?
mbmbmbmbmb
slatersteven wrote:
Stirlingmoomoo wrote:
Dispaminite wrote:
slatersteven wrote:
tscook wrote:

How far right do you need to go?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Stirlingmoomoo wrote:
slatersteven wrote:
Stirlingmoomoo wrote:
Dispaminite wrote:
slatersteven wrote:
tscook wrote:

How far right do you need to go? :D

Well as far as I am aware there are no calls for the extermination of the Latino menance at this time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Pressley
United States
Albuquerque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
Thanks to the OP for highlighting this. I'd read about this earlier in the year, but it had dropped off my radar.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris R.
United States
Unspecified
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Quote:

(((Yes, I know that the world is full of good little communists, dictators, secular and religious fanatics, and nations with a decreasing population growth shackled under a welfare leviathan ponzi scheme. Just because there are those that hate freedom and the United States doesn't mean that President Obama wasn't one of the most radical leftist members of Congress when he was elected.)))

Operation Castaway sends guns to Honduras?

http://www.examiner.com/gun-rights-in-national/breaking-news...

"Virginia O’Brien, Special Agent in Charge at the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives Tampa Field Division, ran a gun-running investigation that was walking guns to Honduras using the techniques and tactics identical to Fast and Furious..."

"There are emails in existence where O’Brien has advised those involved that Tampa does not have to report their walked guns because Tampa FD is not a part of Southwest Border or Project Gunrunner."

"From a first person source she is sh*tting herself trying to cover it up."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.