Subject: Game for my parents... rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Chris Braud
United States
Ringgold
Georgia
flag msg tools
Ok, my parents want me to find a good 2 player game for them. They have random interests in games so I will just list the games they play and how they think of them.

Agricola: My mom likes it but my dad thinks it's too much

Settlers of Catan: They love this but don't always have a third person to play with

Dominion: My mom likes the original (hates the expansions) and my dad doesn't care for card games

Power Grid: They both enjoyed this

Ticket to Ride: Again they enjoyed this very much

Lost Cities: They enjoyed this very much but are bored with it after playing it for quite some time.

They don't have the highest capacity for complicated games, if you could keep the recommendations at Settlers of Catan level or lower that would be preferred.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Sampson
United States
Bothell
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Carcassonne or some variant of it?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin B. Smith
United States
Mercer Island
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
The first thing that pops into my head is Rivals for Catan, which I have not played.

Maybe Stone Age.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maankin, Gent.
Belgium
Gent
flag msg tools
I'd say StoneAge is a good option.
Plays very well with only 2, is family friendly and doesn't last too long.

An other option is Jaipur http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/54043/jaipur, also a good short game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin B. Smith
United States
Mercer Island
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh, or maybe Thebes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leesa
United States
louisville
ky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am newb to the gameboard world, not like so many of you who have been interested and playing for years. Some might even think of me as a ninja spy on here. I like the suggestions given here for first timers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Braud
United States
Ringgold
Georgia
flag msg tools
Oh yeah, I forgot to mention that they have/like Carcassonne but are bored with it. I'll see if Stone Age interests them, I've heard a lot of good things about it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Stanton
England
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Came to add my recommendation for Stone Age
It has been called a lighter version of Agricola, plays well with 2 (plus scales well at 3 & 4 for when others drop in)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Brady
United States
Hanover
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Stone age would be good maybe even Cleopatra and the Society of Architects.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jflartner
United States
Conshohocken
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Jbrady wrote:

agree with these. Cleoptra and the Society of Architects is Ttr with a few things thrown in to make it more interesting, but not much more complicated.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad N
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
Unique titles I've played in 2018
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Jbrady wrote:
I think Stone Age is an excellent suggestion. I'm not so sure about Cleopatra as a 2 player game though... I wouldn't recommend it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jflartner
United States
Conshohocken
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bnordeng wrote:
I think Stone Age is an excellent suggestion. I'm not so sure about Cleopatra as a 2 player game though... I wouldn't recommend it.

I will respectfully disagree. Cleopatra is fine with 2. Better with more, sure, but the 2 player game is a long way from bad - it is different.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Douglas Damron
United States
Danville
West Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
They like Power Grid and Ticket to Ride, so why not see how they like Chicago Express? It's around an hour in length, there are auctions and stocks, beautiful board with a theme and mechanics they've already shown interest in. Not too hard of a game but there's plenty there to have fun with.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Gabelman
United States
Beachwood
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Any games in the GIPF project:
GIPF
TAMSK
ZÈRTZ

Also, I love Mystery Rummy: Jack the Ripper.
Ingenious is good as well for an abstract game.

Another excellent game is Pandemic.

As a disclaimer - I have played all of these and own them too.

Good luck,

JRG

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Warren
United Kingdom
Wisbech
CAMBRIDGESHIRE
flag msg tools
designer
badge
"Elves are very good at board games, and I'm NOT an elf!"
mbmbmbmbmb
Another Stone Age vote here.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oliver Kiley
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Roll Through the Ages: The Bronze Age

It's a fun press your luck dice game themed around civ building. The wooden peg boards + dice are a nice touch. There is more to the game than there would appear.

Furthermore you can download the free expansion Roll Through the Ages: The Late Bronze Age. Print out four sheetd and laminate them and you are good to go!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Laurence Parsons
United Kingdom
Bristol
flag msg tools
Old enough to know what's right
badge
Young enough not to choose it
mbmbmbmbmb
Try Thurn and Taxis or Hacienda. Both play well with 2-4 players and are not overly difficult.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Henry Allen
United States
Astatula
FLORIDA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
L0rd0fWaffles wrote:

Ticket to Ride: Again they enjoyed this very much

If they are playing the base game, Ticket to Ride: USA 1910 breathes new life into it.

Also, Ticket to Ride: Nordic Countries has enough twists and a new map and is my favorite way to play TTR with 2 players (though USA with the 1910 expansion is a close second).

L0rd0fWaffles wrote:

Lost Cities: They enjoyed this very much but are bored with it after playing it for quite some time.

Battle Line is THE next step for Lost Cities lovers who are ready to move on.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Davis
United States
New Concord
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm going to say Catan Card Game is quite good, as is Perry Rhodan: The Cosmic League - the downside is they both use cards, although I don't know that I'd call Perry Rhodan a card game, per se.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Gaskell
England
Lancashire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Ice Flow

My in-laws struggle with hard games and love Ticket to Ride and Ice Flow.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sandra Sherwood
United States
Colorado Springs
CO
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've been slowly increasing my parents' game collection over the last couple years. It sounds like yours may be a bit ahead of mine with what they play as I can't imagine springing Power Grid on them, but they do enjoy TTR and Lost Cities, so some common ones as well. These ones work well for them:

Drive
Yspahan
Finca
Qwirkle

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max A
Canada
flag msg tools
Have to put my vote in for Carcassonne. My parents can't get enough of it

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leesa
United States
louisville
ky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
coolpapa wrote:
I'm going to say Catan Card Game is quite good, as is Perry Rhodan: The Cosmic League - the downside is they both use cards, although I don't know that I'd call Perry Rhodan a card game, per se.

I actually getting the Catan Card Game as my first game and I am also going to my first meetup for Catan on Saturday. I am so excited about learning the game and meeting new people, and actually learning to understand what everyone is talking about on here. laugh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Harrison Chadd
United States
Queens
New York
flag msg tools
badge
NAMQVE PAVCI LIBERTATEM, PARS MAGNA IVSTOS DOMINOS VOLVNT
mbmbmbmbmb
(Just in case somebody doesn't get it, and even though it will spoil the joke, I will commence with a disclaimer: CAREFUL! SARCASM MAY BE CLOSER THAN IT APPEARS IN THE MIRROR!)

I'm just a little bit sick and tired of people being ageist. What difference does it make if someone is "older", or someone's "parents"?

By asking questions like this you're going to make it very uncomfortable for "parents" to come to this site. Hath not a parent eyes, ears, and opposable thumbs with which to hurl multi-colored cubes?

I think we all need to take a look at ourselves and accept that this site is just rancid with ageist prejudice against those who are parents.

I've come to the conclusion that overall when I pigeon-hole gamers as engaging in ageism, I'm right, and for those of whom I'm wrong, well, I presume that they'll realize that what I'm saying doesn't apply to them and they won't feel a need to get defensive about it (because, if it doesn't apply to them, why should they get defensive about it).

In fact, I expect them, if they really care about parents, to realize, and truly feel bad about, the overall accuracy of what I'm saying.

Getting into a nit-picky defence about the actions of the few does nothing more than maintain the status quo by ignoring what's happening, and choosing instead to debate on how we talk about what's happening.

Our parents contributions, like the contributions of parents in any field, have been erased by the gamers who place themselves in charge of history and what is worth remembering and, very importantly, what isn't.

I, for one, am not going to stand for it anymore.

Starting today: if game designers don't start including artwork in their games that is a fair representation of the broader demographics of the global population, I'm going to organize a boycott. I demand that the next edition of Twilight Imperium include a fair cross-section of parents amongst the various suspiciously young-looking aliens on the box cover. And I don't want to be seeing the typical sort of chainmail-bikini-clad octogenarians that we're usually exposed to. I'd like something representative, like a ninety year-old retiree from the Lizix Mindnet, perhaps utilizing a cybernetic walking frame. Maybe in a nice warm cardigan.

If we don't rise up and level this playing field, and accept that everybody, everywhere, all the time, is exactly the same and completely alike in their tastes and preferences, I think we're all just going to hurtle to our doom down a great big slippery slope of indeterminate gender, race, creed, age and sexual orientation.

Here endeth the lesson.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff G
United States
Franklin
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Railways of the World - Mexico map plays two or three, E. US map handles up to 6. It reminds me a little of Power Grid in that there's a ton going on, but the mechanics all make sense. So far, only played this once with my wife. But, despite us being a bit tired and there being a lot to absorb on the first play, both of us really enjoyed this one.

The Downfall of Pompeii - A much lighter pick then RotW. However, if your parents are the type who would cackle gleefully as they toss an opponents piece into Vesuvius (or make a little scream as one of their own pieces are sacrificed), this'll probably be a hit. Not too tough to teach, and handles 2-4 well.

Ingenious - One of the few abstracts I actually enjoy, and has also been a hit. Easy teach, and plays 2-4.

Last one, the game I've been playing lately with my mom is Jaipur. About the same complexity as Lost Cities, but the accounting work is much lighter. A good game if you're just looking to play something while chatting.

I'll also give a +1 to Stone Age.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.