Arkham Horror» Forums » Rules

Subject: First Timer Question about Defeating a monster on an open gate. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Thomas Waters
United States
New York
flag msg tools
So i'm playing as Joe Diamond and moved onto Unvisited Isle where there is a gate and a monster. I defeated the monster. My question is do I go through the gate now? or do I go through on the next turn?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom DeFrank
United States
Canton
Ohio
flag msg tools
You are pulled through the gate on your Arkham Encounters Phase, then have an Other World Encounter on the following Phase in that gate's Other World location.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adan Moreno
msg tools
correct me if I am wrong, when a monster and a gate appears! card is pull, the investigator is pull through the gate and the monster stays in the location with the gate! (so you dont have to fight it)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Tan
Philippines
Quezon City
Metro Manila
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Elsospechas wrote:
correct me if I am wrong, when a monster and a gate appears! card is pull, the investigator is pull through the gate and the monster stays in the location with the gate! (so you dont have to fight it)

This is also correct, but also very different from the scenario given by the OP.

The OP's scenario is this: There is a gate and a monster on a location, and an investigator moves there during the movement phase. As combat is normally part of the movement phase, that occurs first.

Adan's scenario is this: An investigator is on a location, then draws an encounter card with the dreaded words "a gate and monster appear." Here, a gate is placed, the investigator enters the other world (and is delayed), then the monster is placed on the Arkham side of the gate. No combat with that particular monster occurs.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Lawson
United Kingdom
Yateley
Hampshire
flag msg tools
designer
odyssey1988 wrote:
So i'm playing as Joe Diamond and moved onto Unvisited Isle where there is a gate and a monster. I defeated the monster. My question is do I go through the gate now? or do I go through on the next turn?

First Turn

The combat occurs during Phase 2: Movement. During Phase 3: Arkham Encounters, you are drawn through the gate. During Phase 4: Other World Encounters, you have an encounter (while you are in the first area of the OW). All this happens on the same turn.

Page 9 of the rulebook
Quote:
Phase III: Arkham Encounters: Gate
If the location has a gate, the investigator is drawn through the gate. He moves to the first area (the left area) of the Other World indicated on the gate marker.

Phase IV: Other World Encounters
During the Other World Encounters Phase, investigators in Other World spaces have encounters there.

Second Turn

You move from the first area of the Other World to the second area during Phase 2: Movement. Phase 3: Arkham Encounters does not apply since you are not in Arkham. During Phase 4: Other World Encounters, you have a second encounter (while you are in the second area of the OW).

Page 8 and 9 of the rulebook
Quote:
Phase II: Movement: Other World Movement
If the investigator is in the first area of the Other World, he moves to the second area.

Phase IV: Other World Encounters
During the Other World Encounters Phase, investigators in Other World spaces have encounters there.

Third Turn

You move from the second area of the Other World back to Arkham. During Phase 3: Arkham Encounters you may try and close the gate.

Page 8 and 9 of the rulebook
Quote:
Phase II: Movement: Other World Movement
If the investigator is in the second area of the Other World, he returns to Arkham. The player must choose a location that contains a gate to the Other World he is leaving. After choosing such a location, he places his investigator marker there. Then he places an "explored" marker underneath his investigator to show that he has explored the gate. This marker remains in play as long as the investigator remains at the location. If there is no open gate leading to the Other World the investigator is in, the investigator is lost in time and space (see page 17).

Phase III: Arkham Encounters: Gate
Exception: Once an investigator has entered a gate and returned to Arkham, the player places an explored marker underneath his investigator marker. While he remains in the gate’s location, he is no longer drawn through the gate, but may instead try to close or seal the gate (see "Closing and Sealing Gates," pages 16-17). If the investigator leaves the location before the gate is closed or sealed, discard the explored marker. If the investigator returns to the location later in the game, he will again be drawn through the gate. He must resolve the Other World Encounters Phase again before he can return to the location and attempt to close or seal the gate.

And don't forget this from page 18.
Quote:
Monsters Guarding Gate
During the turn he returns to Arkham from an Other World, an investigator does not have to evade or fight any monsters in the gate’s location. This rule only applies during the turn he returns to Arkham; in subsequent turns, if the investigator remains in the location, he must evade or fight any monsters there as normal.

Elsospechas wrote:

Correct. This is answered in the official Arkham Horror FAQ.
Quote:
Arkham Encounters
Q: When a location card says "a gate and a monster appear," which appearance is resolved first?
A: The gate appears first, and any investigators at the location are drawn through the gate. Then the monster appears. Monsters that appear as a result of these encounters stay on the board, count against the monster limit, can go to the Outskirts, etc., as normal.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.