Dust Tactics» Forums » General

Subject: Can you make the Lothar in the base game? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I just recently pulled the trigger on the base game today. I'm very excited and have been continuing to read about the game. I'm even now considering buying a second copy of the base set since its so cheap vs the amount of minis you get.

I saw that the med walker expansion kits say you can swap out the guns on them to make 3 different walkers. In the base game screenshots I'm not seeing the Lothar or Ally version, just one each of the main two per side? He is the one w/ the big rocket launchers on each side, correct?

So do the parts for the 3rd walkers only come in the med walker expansion? Meaning that even if I do buy a second copy of the base game I still will "have" to buy that med walker kit just to be able to have the Lothar?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K G
United States
albuquerque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
I wasn't born ! I sprang from the forhead of God , as he contemplated a particularly vile joke !
badge
I wasn't born , I was hatched in the deepest darkest part of the ocean , and raised by sharks !
mbmbmbmbmb
no , the base set does not come with the parts to build the artillery walkers .

so unless you are really good with building platicard models , you will need to buy the medium walker expansion boxes .

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Is that overkill at all? If I buy a 2nd base set, that would give me 2 of each walker type in addition to a potential 3rd type if i get the walker expo? Not to mention the walkers that are coming with the revised core set?

Are the infantry units good enough to warrant a 2nd base set as well?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason McFarland
United States
Shelton
Washington
flag msg tools
zuggzugg wrote:
Is that overkill at all? If I buy a 2nd base set, that would give me 2 of each walker type in addition to a potential 3rd type if i get the walker expo? Not to mention the walkers that are coming with the revised core set?

Are the infantry units good enough to warrant a 2nd base set as well?

Not overkill at all. Standard procedure for those really into the game, like myself, are multiple core sets. We did the buddy system where we paired our gamers up and split the cost of two core sets, one taking Allies and one taking Axis.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
So only the extra heroes would be "wasted" as far as usable minis from 2 sets yes?

I read somewhere that one of the expansions was similar to one of the squads in the base game w/ a minor difference or addition? Are all of the expansions unique vs the units in the base game? Aside from the walkers and other obvious ones.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K G
United States
albuquerque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
I wasn't born ! I sprang from the forhead of God , as he contemplated a particularly vile joke !
badge
I wasn't born , I was hatched in the deepest darkest part of the ocean , and raised by sharks !
mbmbmbmbmb
after the base set they released the laser grenadiers , recon grendiers , BBQ squad , and recon boys , these are all the same as come in the base set . they the "gunners" and "battle grenadiers" each of which cost $5 more , but come with an extra fig and extra stats card to make each into a tank hunting squad . other than those squads , all others are different from the base set squads .

the base set comes with the hotdog , and the pounder for the allies , but the "medium walker " box comes with 1 body , 2 turrets (one regular , one specialy set up as the artillery turret ) a hot dog barrel , a pounder barrel , and 4 stat cards to let you use any of the 4 configurations .

the base set comes with the luthor and ludwig for the axis . the axis "medium walker box " comes with one body/legs , a pair of 8.8's , one close combat claw , one 5cm flak , 2 rocket tube arm , and 3 stat cards to rep the 3 possible variants .

all the other walkers are different from those in the base set .

when i first got into this , i was given a base set by my FLGS , to demo the hell out of it . one o9f my friends gave me another base set to paint figures for him , and i traded the allies out of one base set for the axis out of another .

its kinda a waste to get the extra heros , but i chose to paint them all differently , so sigrid can blend in or stand out from other squads .

the base set is the cheapest way to build up your force . so buying multiples is not a waste , its a bargain , but you will probably want multiple medium walker sets as well , to get a couple artillery walkers .

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Ya, I'm just not sure if I should go all in or not. I wanted to avoid having to buy a bunch of extra stuff. The base set is just too cheap to pass up tho. I'm also a sucker for zombies so the axis are callin to me!

I went all in w/ Descent, I have everything w/ the Descent logo on it. I love that game but the style and game time of this one and minis are just great and a nice change of pace and genre

I still need to find some people to play with. I'm always the one who buys the games and tries to get friends to play. I just want to know that all the units are useful.

So with a good bit of the units being repackaged as their own expo squads, are those worth getting for that extra troop and card? I was thinking to start off I would get 2 base sets, the revised one when its released, and the two expansions w/ the new heroes. Then slowly trickle in other stuff if I can play enough to warrant them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K G
United States
albuquerque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
zuggzugg wrote:

So with a good bit of the units being repackaged as their own expo squads, are those worth getting for that extra troop and card? I was thinking to start off I would get 2 base sets, the revised one when its released, and the two expansions w/ the new heroes. Then slowly trickle in other stuff if I can play enough to warrant them.

this is a question that really go to your play style , board size , and army size . one of the big excuses that people give needing for the "revised points system" is the percieved notion that the BBQ squad , laser squad , and tank hunting squads are just so much better . i dont see that .

we play with the old points system revising the new points back down to it , and the unit choices reflect that .

we play on a variety of table sizes , from the standard 3X3 boards , up to 6X8 feet using gridded sheets .

i my self primarily play the germans . the only time i play the allies is when i am showing some one how to play the game , or when i am testing out a new custome unit like the ones in my BGG blog , which i then sell or trade off . but i have played or officiated over 200 games of DT

we play games of no less than 20 points up to 60 points

despite all the CURRENT squads being 2 points under the old system :

in my group , the ONLY players that bought battlegrenadiers/gunner squads for the tank hunting squads were the allies players , and NONE of them have bought more than 1 . they ONLY use them when they need a points filler if the absolutly need them , OR if they can stick rosie in the squad so the squad has extra life and a third bazooka , other wise its not worth losing the anti infantry weapons , just to get another bazooka weapons . and none of the axis players have gooten the battle grenadiers boxes because its not worth losing the panzerfausts and a assault rifle , just to gain one bazooka with a range of 3 .

of the allies players , only one player has bought an extra BBQ squad , and that was only because they were new , just getting into the game , and there wasnt alot of DT stuff on the shelf , so the bought the squad just to get another allies squad , other than that one player , no one has bought any more BBQ squads , because they arent as super powerful as people seem to think , yes they have some awsome weapons , and fast , but their range of only 1 is a major weakness . and that weakness grows as the tables get bigger and you have more room to maneuver . the people that complain the BBQ squad is over powered just dont have the experience to know how to counter them .

of the axis players , the only laser grenadiers any of us have is what came in our starter(s) none of us have bought more , despite them sitting on the shelf ( my FLGS made a big mistake when ordering DT stock several months ago , and got in 3or4 of the laser grenadiers and BBQ and no other units in that order ) yes their lasers are good , but the basic lasers only have a range of 3 , which is a big drawback .

the more i see people play , the less i see of the above squads being taken unless the players need points filler , or for the allies , taking a single bothunting unit with rosie .

the only individual unit boxes (from the base set release) that anyone has bought multiple of are the reconboys/recon grenadiers , those sell fast when they come in because they are such excelent infantry hunters , and all those specialty infantry cant use their special abilities if they are dead .

if you are playing the new points system , it makes recon somewhat over powering , because they are cheaper in the new points than all the above specialty units , so you get more of them , and useing the game mechanics , can use them to burn activations and essentailly make your opponent move first regardless of what the iniative roll was , or burn activations to save vital unit activation until your opponent has finished all of his .

additionaly , if you use recon in theri intended role of killing enemy infantry , then you doubbly screw your opponent , because his more expensive pecialty infantry take an even bigger chunk out of his army .

but thats just my observations after playing/running over 200 games of DT .

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
So it sounds like I can pick up the unique expansion squads well over the repackaged ones and still have a very nice army. Thanks!

I'm excited to receive my game! I think I'm going to order that 2nd base set right now.

With two base sets I will have enough terrain tiles to be able to play some large scale battles. I saw your blogs and I do like the custom rubble/building corners and the sheet idea. My table is 4x6. I should be able to make something out of it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Kline

Norristown
Pennsylvania
msg tools
designer
mbmb
I'm taking it slower. My plan is to have my current core set, and get the new core set when it's released, and a command squad for each army. I plan to collect both armies since I'll need to have them both if I want to get my friends into the game, till they start buying stuff too. I don't get to play with em too often, so for now I'm just painting stuff and once my core set is done I'll get the command squads.

I'm hoping they will release the tabletop version of the rules soon, that will get my friends into it more. It's mostly a GW club, so they're gonna want to play something similar. I like the crossover board game idea though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
That's what I want to do also but with the current core set being discontinued and containing more stuff than the revised set will/does, I didn't want the price to skyrocket later once it becomes more rare. Similar to what Spacehulk did. Plus, 70 bucks shipped is an unbeatable price for the base set. I've spent the last 3 days at work researching and reaching everything I can't about this game. Can't wait!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Heroic Brewer
United States
Royal Oak
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
zuggzugg wrote:
That's what I want to do also but with the current core set being discontinued and containing more stuff than the revised set will/does, I didn't want the price to skyrocket later once it becomes more rare. Similar to what Spacehulk did. Plus, 70 bucks shipped is an unbeatable price for the base set. I've spent the last 3 days at work researching and reaching everything I can't about this game. Can't wait!

I just got this game, and agree it is a great value at $70. Played my first couple of games last night and I can say its money well spent. Get the original set now, it probably won't be around much longer

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.