Dennis Bingham
Germany
Herford
NRW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
And i know that most will recommend Castle Ravenloft now. However, i already had THAT idea and purchased it, alas, it's not what I'm looking for at all. Castle Ravenloft (CR) feels too random, too aggressive (you flip a tile and EVERY SINGLE ONE HAS A MONSTER - how predictable and boring and random at the same time as you never know which monster you encounter).

In short, in runebound i get the sense of adventure, my choices seem to matter more and i can (by selecting where to go) direct the game my way and not the game directing me. This is not the case with CR (or any other incarnation of this series it seems).

I already tried Dungeonquest and, while much better than CR i think, is also not quite what i'm looking for. DQ is close but no cigar. DQ is, for the most part, a game where avoid falling into a bottomless pit. That's totally ok as i expected that and i like the game but the sense for adventure still is kind of smallish in that title.

Does anyone have a suggestion for a game that would suit me??

I already tried

- Castle Ravenloft (not my cup of tea)
- Dungeonquest (good game, like it, close to what i'm looking for)
- Dungeon Twister (1 & 2) (good games but no char development at all)
- Claustrophobia (it's ok for what it is...not sure why it didn't click for me)
- Talisman 4th ed. (Boring!)
- Doom (non fantasy)
- Spacehulk (non fantasy)
- Arkham Horror (great game, little too fiddly and not a dungeon crawler)

It must have a strong sense of adventure, it must have character development (even if only slightly as in runebound), should be a dungeon crawler, it should have a random map (doesn't need to be free flowing tiles as in ravenloft but can be like tiles on Dungeontwisters map) and, very important, i must be able to play the game solo well, either because it supports solo out of the box or because it has a variant that works well (e.g. runebound).

I know, most people will ask me why not play Runebound, and i gladly do, but a) it has a map that never changes (i already have 3 big box expansions that change the map) and b) isn't in a dungeon.

Am I asking too much??
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darrell Hanning
United States
Jacksonville
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
We will meet at the Hour of Scampering.
mbmbmbmbmb
Citadel of Blood

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dennis Bingham
Germany
Herford
NRW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DarrellKH wrote:

Thanks, i looked at it and to be honest, it's probably extremely hard to find (at least where i live) and, while not the most important aspect but still somehow plays into my interest, is asthetically extremely unpleasing......

So maybe i should limit my question to games that are easily obtainable (or in print)....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Judy Krauss
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
but I'm not the only one
badge
My hands are small, I know, but they're not yours, they are my own
mbmbmbmbmb
Space Infantry is close, but it's science fiction.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig J
United States
East Hampton
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Return of the Heroes might fit. It has a random map and character generation, but isn't a dungeon crawl per se... its more point-to-point adventuring.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dennis Bingham
Germany
Herford
NRW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Festivus wrote:
Return of the Heroes might fit. It has a random map and character generation, but isn't a dungeon crawl per se... its more point-to-point adventuring.

I had heard that it's just not a very good game overall. Easier to find than Prophecy i guess but not as good...also i think, as you mentioned, not a dungeoncrawler per se.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
http://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2007/03/28
mbmbmbmbmb
What solo rules do you use for Runebound? Did FFG publish a set, or is it something a fan came up with?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
http://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2007/03/28
mbmbmbmbmb
Have you tried The Dungeon of D? No character progression, and not exactly what you are looking for, but you might enjoy it.

Maybe look for solo rules for Descent: Journeys in the Dark?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Graham Charlton
United Kingdom
East Barnet
Hertfordshire
flag msg tools
badge
www.finchleygamesclub.org
mbmbmbmbmb
I think Advanced Heroquest might be what you are looking for if you can get hold of a copy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dennis Bingham
Germany
Herford
NRW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
cbrua wrote:
What solo rules do you use for Runebound? Did FFG publish a set, or is it something a fan came up with?

Skeletors rules are by far the best solo rules for Runebound i think. That's what I'm using.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dennis Bingham
Germany
Herford
NRW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
RandomGraham wrote:
I think Advanced Heroquest might be what you are looking for if you can get hold of a copy.

I agree but was not able to get hold of a copy for reasonable money. cry

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dennis Bingham
Germany
Herford
NRW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
cbrua wrote:
Have you tried The Dungeon of D? No character progression, and not exactly what you are looking for, but you might enjoy it.

Maybe look for solo rules for Descent: Journeys in the Dark?

Dungeon of D is really not what i'm looking for i think....i read the solo rules for Descent but they seem rather complicated (then again, i have never played Descent either, so it might be easy as pie when i know the rules for the game itself).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Urban
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
Magic Realm, implemented by RealmSpeak to take care of some of its fiddliness, has a tough initial learning curve, but is highly rewarding once you get a feel for what's going on.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dennis Bingham
Germany
Herford
NRW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ostadan wrote:
Magic Realm, implemented by RealmSpeak to take care of some of its fiddliness, has a tough initial learning curve, but is highly rewarding once you get a feel for what's going on.

I really appreciate the suggestion(s) but i really would like to stick to games that i can actually aquire in some reasonable way for a reasonable price. I'm just not willing nor able to pay over $200 (converted) for a copy of Magic Realm or Advanced Heroquest.....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Kruczek
United Kingdom
Colchester
Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm keeping a close eye out for Dungeon Run, due out sometime this year.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dennis Bingham
Germany
Herford
NRW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
matt_k wrote:
I'm keeping a close eye out for Dungeon Run, due out sometime this year.

Thanks!!! That looks like a good idea!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed G.
United States
Fort Wayne
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Take a look at Dungeoneer: Tomb of the Lich Lord and others in the Dungeoneer series.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.