Ignacio Góngora
Spain
flag msg tools
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It continues from Polis Session in "La Noche Más Corta" Part I (English and Spanish)

Polis Session in "La Noche Más Corta" Part I (English and Spanish).

One more time I doubted like in the first round. I wanted to punch Sparta, that Sparta went on the defensive and my gaze rested on Thessalia, to be precise in the polis of Naupaktos, bad defended and a small city, so the siege would have been fast and easy. But again I overcame myself. Despite of losing the blockade of Megaris I could not face up to Spartan forces because I was at a disadvantage. I had to trust in the prestige that I was winning little by little (and in those turns the Festival of Dionisos could not miss in Potidaia) and in trade for obtaining the wheat that I needed and I would think what to do in the next round.

As I mentioned in the previous paragraph, in cases of resources shortage, the best is to turn to foreign Empires for obtaining those so needed resources. In Polis: Fight for the Hegemony it is used a price increase system when someone needs a valued good, in this case: wheat... However, those prices may fall too, if you use silver in the exchange. Until now, in previous games, I had not never used the exchange of silver for wheat. I thought that with it, I was benefiting the opponent but that is partly true. Exactly, your opponent benefits from price you are just to fall but the most important and deep down thing is not that... You have obtained wheat for feeding your population, the opponent could take advantage of new price if he wants.

It started the definitive round, 5b. In this round it would have to resolve the game but my perception was that Athenai was at a disadvantage against Sparta. After the disaster of Megaris, Attika was facing the Spartan troops in two fronts: Thessalia and Megaris. I had a very small population whereas Sparta grew again and again behind its walls, but also it had a very powerful army outside of them. However, I still had an option, while Sparta was on the brink of revolts consequence of its limited prestige and with its silver chests almost empty, my poleis, though sparsely populated, enjoyed high prestige thanks to their works and my chests were full of silver... I only had to grow a bit more, keeping my strategy and even though I found myself lost, I could attack as a last resort.

It was played the event "Mercenaries," which allows to recruit with silver without losing population from poleis. At first, this event might benefit me. So, I reinforced my positions and I got ready to grow my League with an advance to Boiotia while and through a complicated maneuver I was bringing my Proxenus closer for avoiding that he was captured by Spartan hoplites that were in Thessalia. Thebai joins my cause and I got Athenai breathed a sigh of relief from the Spartan pressure.

Maybe Victor, forced to take the initiative, decided to return to offensive after his success in Megaris. He took over Sporades Islands with his triremes and afterwards he launched a strong offensive against Ionia in Anatolia. Athenai kept its position in the polis of Chios, in the island of the same name, which kept a big garrison of hoplites... But I was at a disadvantage (4 units against 5 Spartan units) and battle was a complete success for Sparta which broke easily the Athenian defense. A little bit later, they devastated the polis of Chios which was forced to return to neutrality (one of the advantages of the new siege regarding to previous siege rules, if the attacker fails the siege die roll, he at least causes a casualty to population and if this is reduced to 0, the polis returns to neutrality).

This time I can not let him in. Ionia has important reserves of silver and also I had lost an important polis like Chios, so I had no option but doing everything possible for recovering it. First I took over the Sporades Islands again and then I sent a strong contingent of hoplites, above all, from Makedonia and Boiotia, the greatest I could afford... The fate of the game was here. In the battle of the Strait of Chios, the forces of the Delian League crushed the Spartan, thanks to the Salpinx call that meant an ambush against the surprised Spartan forces. The victory was overwhelming. Later Proxenus itself was who dealt with treacherous oligarchs! And Chios was in the Athenian side again.

Sparta was in a delicate situation at a stroke. Its Poleis were still intact but its prestige was tiny (only two points), so this situation left his troops very little leeway (because they need prestige to move). To make things worse, his reserves of wheat were empty now and he could hardly collect without revolts in all his Poleis. Then Víctor made a risky decision, because he noticed the region of Arkadia and its rich polis, Argos, neutral during all the conflict and he wanted to decide the game in a siege, that is, in a die roll. He took the four sided die, he threw it and... He failed. In those moments Sparta had no prestige and he had no option but to pass.

With game on my side, I devoted to collect wine from several regions for ensuring the wheat of my allied poleis. When a player passes, the other can continue making actions provided he spends any resource. There was not problem because at that time I had a lot of wine which I was spending and with it, I traded again with Persia (Who would have imagined that Persia would betray Athens in the Corinth War few years later!). When I obtained the wheat that I needed, I passed and we arrived to the End of the Round Phases at the end of the game.

As I have expected, Víctor did not have enough wheat for feeding his population, so many Poleis rebelled against Sparta and they returned to neutrality. He was lucky for completing the same round the Venus statue which allowed him to obtain the necessary prestige to not lose the game in a direct way. I had enough with wheat that I had and I increased a bit more the population from my poleis, and with it plus prestige that I already kept, it was enough to win although, on the other hand, there was no much difference.

Despite of defeat, Víctor taught me another way to win in Polis: Fight for the Hegemony. In general, I have always opted for emptying my Poleis in order not to have to spend big wheat amounts in the End of the Round Phases. However, Víctor opted for very big poleis and obviously, the main good which gives victory is prestige, but population too (which is added in 1:1 ratio to pretsige) and Víctor could have beaten me thanks to his huge population. However and always, during all game, he was flirting with a low level of prestige and the failed siege´s attempt of Argos was the final blow.

In my opinion, Victor had the opportunity to recover at the end of the game if, instead of besieging, he had attacked my armies and he would have been able to do a lot of damages in Attika. We have to keep in mind that as well as projects and Megalopolis phase at the end of the round, the other prestige source, forgotten in general, is battles... A big battle may give 3 or 4 prestige points. In any case, I think I did well adopting a very defensive strategy, and to leave all the initiative to my opponent, that is, without falling down in provocations and leaving the attack to Víctor because if he made enough false steps, I could be the winner.

I thought after the game in a soccer match, because people say that soccer is like life, which it is not fair and not always wins who plays best. Víctor had achieved a lot of things and his decisions were riskier and braver. I maintained myself very conservative and I only attacked when I considered that I had to recover Chios... My play was "foul" but I won... After all it was the V century BC and there was no time for diplomacy.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Continúa de "Polis Session in "La Noche Más Corta" part I (English and Spanish)"

Polis Session in "La Noche Más Corta" Part I (English and Spanish).

Una vez más dudé como en la primera ronda. Quería dar un golpe a Sparta, algo que lo pusiera a la defensiva y mis ojos se posaron en Thessalia, más concretamente en la polis de Naupaktos, mal defendida y pequeña, con lo que el asedio hubiese sido bastante rápido. Pero de nuevo me sobrepuse. Pese a perder el bloqueo de Megaris no podía hacer frente a las fuerzas espartanas porque estaba en inferioridad de condiciones. Tenía que confiar en el prestigio que iba obteniendo poco a poco (y en estos turnos no podía faltar el Festival de Dionisos en Potidaia) y en el comercio para obtener el trigo que necesitaba y ya pensaría qué hacer en la siguiente ronda.

Como he comentado en el párrafo anterior, en casos de escasez de recursos, lo mejor es acudir a los Imperios exteriores para ganar esos recursos tan necesarios. En Polis: Fight for the Hegemony se emplea un sistema de incremento de precios cuando se requiere un bien preciado, en este caso, el trigo. Sin embargo, esos precios también pueden bajar, si se emplea plata en el intercambio. Hasta ahora, en partidas anteriores, no había utilizado nunca plata en trueque por trigo. Pensaba que con ello se beneficiaba al oponente pero eso es cierto en parte. Efectivamente, el oponente se beneficia del precio que acabas de bajar pero lo importante en el fondo no es eso... Tú has ganado trigo para alimentar a tu población, que se aproveche el contrario si quiere.

Comenzó la ronda definitiva, la 5b. En esta ronda se tendría que dirimir la partida pero mi percepción era que estaba en desventaja frente a Sparta. Tras el desastre en Megaris, Attika estaba frente a las tropas espartanas en dos frentes Thessalia y Megaris. Tenía muy poca población mientras que Sparta crecía y crecía tras sus muros pero también fuera de ellos con un ejército muy poderoso. Sin embargo, aún tenía una opción, mientras Sparta se hallaba al borde de la revuelta con su escasísimo prestigio y con las arcas de plata casi vacías, mis polis aunque poco pobladas gozaban de un alto prestigio gracias a sus obras y mis arcas estaban llenas... Sólo tenía que crecer un poco más, seguir con mi estrategia y si aun así me veía perdido, atacar a la desesperada.

Se puso en juego el evento Mercenarios, que permite reclutar con plata sin perder población de las polis. Evento este que me podía beneficiar en un principio. Así pues, reforcé mis posiciones y me dispuse a hacer crecer mi Liga con un avance hacia Boiotia (Beocia) y a la vez y a través de una complicada maniobra fui acercando a mi Próxenos para evitar que fuese capturado por los hoplitas que se encontraban en Thessalia. Thebai se une a mi causa y consigo que Attika respire un poco de la presión pro-espartana.

Puede que al verse obligado a llevar la iniciativa, Víctor decidiese a volver a la ofensiva tras su éxito en Megaris. Tomó el control de las islas Espóradas con sus trirremes y tras ello lanzó una fuerte ofensiva contra Jonia (Ionia) en Anatolia. Atenas mantenía allí su posición con la polis de Chios, en la isla del mismo nombre, que mantenía una buena guarnición de hoplitas. Pero me encontraba en inferioridad numérica (4 unidades frente a las 5 espartanas) y la batalla fue todo un éxito para Sparta que doblegó con facilidad a los defensores. Poco después, asolaron la polis de Chios y se vio forzada a volver a la neutralidad (una de las ventajas del nuevo asedio con respecto al anterior, si el asediante falla la tirada de asedio al menos causa una baja a la población y si se reduce a 0, vuelve a la neutralidad).

Esta vez no podía dejarlo pasar. Ionia tiene importantes reservas de plata y además había perdido una polis importante como Chios por lo que no tenía otro remedio que hacer lo posible por recuperarla. Primero volví a tomar el control marítimo de las Espóradas y después envié un fuerte contingente de hoplitas, sobre todo, de Makedonia y de Boiotia, el más grande que me podía permitir. Aquí se encontraba el destino de la partida. En la batalla del estrecho de Chios, las fuerzas de la Liga de Delos machacaron a los espartanos, gracias, sobre todo, al toque del Salpinx que supuso la emboscada sobre las sorprendidas fuerzas espartanas. La victoria fue total. ¡Más tarde fue el propio Próxenos el que se encargó de sofocar a los traidores oligarcas! Y Chios volvió a caer del lado ateniense.

Sparta se encontraba de un plumazo en una situación delicadísima. Sus polis seguían intactas pero su prestigio era ya minúsculo (sólo dos puntos), lo cual apenas le dejaba margen de maniobra para sus tropas (ya que estas necesitan del prestigio para desplazarse). Para colmo, sus reservas de trigo se encontraban ahora vacías y apenas podía recaudar sin que se rebelasen todas sus polis. Víctor tomó entonces una decisión muy arriesgada, ya que se fijó en la región de Arkadia y en la rica polis de Argos, neutral durante todo el conflicto y quiso decidir la partida en su asedio, es decir, a una tirada. Cogió el dado de 4 caras, tiró y... falló. En esos momentos Sparta no disponía de prestigio y no tuvo otro remedio que pasar.

Con la partida de mi parte, me dediqué a recaudar vino de las distintas regiones para garantizarme el trigo de mis polis aliadas. Cuando un jugador pasa, el otro puede seguir realizando acciones siempre y cuando gaste un recurso cualquiera. No había problema porque disponía por aquel entonces de mucho vino que fui gastando y con él, comercié una vez más con Persia (¡quién iba a decir que después traicionaría a Atenas en la Guerra Corintia pocos años después!). Cuando obtuve el trigo que necesitaba pasé y llegamos a las Fases de Fin de Ronda del final de la partida.

Como era de esperar, Víctor no tenía suficiente trigo para alimentar a su población, así que muchas Polis se rebelaron y volvieron a la neutralidad. Tuvo suerte de completar en esa misma ronda la estatua de Venus lo que le permitió obtener el prestigio necesario para no perder la partida de forma directa. Yo tuve suficiente con el trigo que tenía y aumenté un poco más la población de mis polis y con esta más el prestigio que ya guardaba fue suficiente para ganar aunque, eso sí, no hubo tanta diferencia.

Pese a la derrota, Víctor me enseñó otra manera de poder ganar en Polis: Fight for the Hegemony. Por lo general, yo siempre he optado por "vaciar" mis polis para no tener que gastar grandes cantidades de trigo en las Fases de Fin de Ronda. Sin embargo, Víctor optó por unas polis muy grandes y evidentemente, el principal bien que otorga la victoria es el prestigio, pero también lo es la población (que se suma en una proporción 1:1 al prestigio) y Víctor me habría superado precisamente por su enorme población. Sin embargo, siempre, durante toda la partida, estuvo coqueteando con un nivel de prestigio demasiado bajo y el intento de asedio de Argos fue la puntilla final.

En mi opinión, tuvo en ese final de la partida una oportunidad de reponerse si en lugar de buscar el asedio hubiese buscado el ataque sobre mis ejércitos y hubiese podido hacer mucho daño en Attika. Hay que tener en cuenta que al igual que los proyectos y la fase de Megalópolis al final de la ronda, la otra fuente de prestigio en general olvidada son las batallas... Una buena batalla puede conceder 3 o 4 puntos de prestigio. En cualquier caso, creo que hice bien en adoptar una estrategia muy defensiva y dejar toda la iniciativa a mi oponente, es decir, no entrar en provocaciones y que fuese él quien atacase porque si daba los suficientes pasos en falso podría ser yo el que ganase.

Pensé tras la partida en un partido de fútbol porque dicen que el fútbol es como la vida, que no es justa y que no siempre gana el que mejor juega. Víctor había conseguido mucho y sus decisiones fueron más arriesgadas y valientes. Yo me mantuve muy conservador y sólo ataqué cuando estimé que tenía que recuperar Chios... Mi juego fue más feo pero gané... Al fin y al cabo, era el siglo V AC y no había mucho lugar para la diplomacia.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.