Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
David J Schaffner
United States
Saint Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I was wondering how suitable SMG might be for individual players to manage multiple game units (teams) on a side? The Historicon demo games featured 6 players/3 per side playing with a 4-6 man team each, but I'd like opinions on how well the game might work with each player commanding 2 or 3 teams themselves?

Any issues with card management/rules overload that might be seen to impede each player running multiple teams each?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Bowker
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
One thing is that the Day of Days only has 4 soldiers a side. That is perfect for two players.

I haven't tried it yet but I would think that it could be done. The biggest issue would be to keep the card decks apart. It would take a bit longer getting everything set for the turn but once that was done it should flow smoothly enough.

Another thing I would think would be possible, especially if setting up your own scenario, would be to control a larger team. As long as you build the deck correctly that should also work.

Others that have played more may have a different opinion but I'm always one to tinker with games so I would be willing to try it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David J Schaffner
United States
Saint Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Michael for your thoughts!

A follow-up question.....does Day of Days have enough cards included already so that more than 4 soldiers (Privates) could be organized on a side, or, are there just enough cards for exactly 4 soldiers?

I'm thinking ordering some extra teams and leaders might be required to allow players to control more than a single team with Day of Days "out of the box". (?)

I have 20mm figs already, so I'm wondering if I could use them to field multiple teams on a side with the included cards already in Day of Days, or if I'll need to get more private/leader cards (and unfortunately duplicate figures I don't actually need)?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Bowker
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Most likely you would have to buy more. You could always use your figures rather then the ones included but I believe the cards included are enough for the figures included.

Also, since each figure / card is a named individual using "extra" cards (if they exist) would result in two people of the same name, not that it really matters but it could be an issue.

I don't know if there is any plan to sell cards without figures or not.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David J Schaffner
United States
Saint Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It is cool that Lost Battalion is marketing painted figures along with the game & expansions. I'll just have to order the extra soldier cards (along with the included figs), and expand the set as time goes on.

Thanks again for your time Michael.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Terry Simo
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Four soldiers per side seems really small for amount of map space even with just the Day of Days set and $100 price point?? I'm liking the concept for this and the card interaction but

It would seem the the map footprint even for Day of Days would be at least a squad not just a fire team? Can anybody who has played this give some insight -- big map / limited soldiers? Do you need to buy at least another fire team per side and a leader for this?

T-Mo

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Bowker
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Designer Jeff Billings told us at Historicon that you could play with up to 6 players with the Day of Days set but it would be like having a shotgun fight in a phone booth.

Considering the way that terrain works and the individual soldier nature of the game it really isn't necessary to pick up extras to play though if you are looking at expanding later it certainly wouldn't hurt. Due to the size of the board you probably wouldn't want to expand too much because of having everyone "too close" and it resulting in the shotgun fight in a phone booth idea.

There are rules for WW2 miniature battles that have players only controlling 2 to 4 figures. I ran a game at Historicon where each player only had a team of 3 or 4 figures.

I know a lot of people have commented on the price. It is an expensive game but you are getting painted figures, and a hard mounted mapboard that is double sided. Considering the fact that most maps are not mounted today this is a great bonus. I for one considered not buying the game when I heard the price but I had so much fun playing the demo I had to get it. It is really a great game that has a lot of new and innovative concepts.

Since the soldiers all have various abilities some may be able to fire across the board while others cannot. It all depends on who is doing what. That way the size of the board doesn't matter as much as the individual abilities of the soldiers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Terry Simo
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Any chance of writing up a session report giving an overview of play. I was pretty pumped when I first saw this but starting to throttle back once I've seen how little you get for the price point -- double mounted 2ft x 3ft map seems pretty big for a 4 on 4 fire team battle. 8 painted figures is not much.

T-Mo

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Duke
United States
Wynne
Arkansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Getting back to the original question:

Quote:
I was wondering how suitable SMG might be for individual players to manage multiple game units (teams) on a side?

I think one player could handle 6 or 7 men, maybe 8, pretty easily, as one group. I think managing 2 or 3 separate groups and leaders with one player will slow things down, just trying to keep things straight. There is a need to go from board to the correct "Soldier card' that each figure owns and as guys move around and criss cross, I suspect that will start confusing the owner.

Certainly you can play with more than 4 figures per player.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David J Schaffner
United States
Saint Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well then that allows for the possibility of increasing team strengths. I yet don't have a handle on how the team leaders work, but I think what we're driving towards here is having more maneuver elements on a side (under the control of a single player), so that fire and movement tactics could be used by coordinating multiple fire teams (situated at different tile locations).

What does sound interesting in this regards is that the objective (cards) often require players to scout out landmark tiles, or rewards preserving troop strength, so the game's goal is not always to just close with the enemy and shoot it out to achieve body count.

Much of how the rule mechanisms work together will become clearer when we finally get our hands on the game......(but in the meantime we'll keep the questions incoming).

Thanks Kevin for continuing to explain the game further with us here.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Bowker
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't had a chance to go through all of the order cards but I know in the game at Historicon I could not enter until turn 2 and then had to destroy all enemy forces encountered. Another player had to "scout" all the landmark tiles.

With the various orders / objectives it makes a game that has a lot of possibilities.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David J Schaffner
United States
Saint Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Michael, as I understand it now, no player is to know another's objective during the game (even objectives of other players on your own side in the larger games)? If that's the case, I can see why Kevin thinks the game works best with players only commanding a single team at a time, because not knowing other friendly or enemy objectives works to create competitive tension and "fog of war".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Billings
United States
Upperco
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The scenarios use only the orders that make sense for that scenario. And I think I will leave a more detailed answer to that question until a little later on.
As for the number of soldiers that a player can command at once, I can say that 12 is about as big as makes any sense. For example a Squad of Russian - trained soldiers would have a sergeant (say 7VP), a junior sergeant (say 3VP) and ten privates of from (1VP to 3VP) totaling maybe 25VP and be usable in a patrol scenario. NOTE: the Russians and Italians are at least a year from being released. In that case you may have 12 soldiers in play being commanded by 1 player. The good news is that they will play and behave like barely trained soldiers. "Quantity has a quality all it's own."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David J Schaffner
United States
Saint Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Jeff,

Are there any scenarios (current or planned), where there's different force ratios on opposing sides (such as 2 to 1, 3 to 1, etc.)?

As an example, similar to having that Soviet squad pushing against an enemy fire team (like an LMG nest)?

Can the objective cards work ok in this regards?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Billings
United States
Upperco
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes I will have a scenario in the Chapter 2 expansion that is a reprise of the Sniper Scenario that I did in Sergeants on the Eastern Front. In that scenario the Snipers have a 3 man team on the board taking the shot at an Observation Post. From there all H*^% breaks loose and it is a run to escape. The system is built for uneven force levels still having balanced scenarios.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David J Schaffner
United States
Saint Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Fantastic!

Thanks for your insights into the game's design Jeff.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.