United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
Come read my Arkham Horror stories on Twitter @ArkhamHorror
badge
Image courtesy of Smizmazmarlemagne
mbmbmbmbmb
I was very pleased to be able to find locally a copy Miskatonic Horror yesterday! While sorting them into my collection (which will likely lead to a long blog post on reorganizing for the expansion) I was looking over some of its contents to get a feel for what was added and I noticed that there are a couple of location cards in the expansion towns of Kingsport, Innsmouth, and Dunwich that have two expansion town icons on them. It makes sense in some (such as a Kingsport co-iconed with Dunwich card that asks you to take a trip to Another Time) but in others I for the life of me can't tell what the reason for the dual icons is.

An example (and light spoilers for those who don't want to know anything about what's at the locations):
Spoiler (click to reveal)
The Artists' Colony/Hall School/Neil's Curiosity Shop card that is labeled Kingsport and Innsmouth that have the "An artist is sketching..."/"Someone sneaks a book..."/"Neil rambles on..." encounters.

There doesn't seem to be anything "broken" about the absence of a direct mechanical lift from the alternate icon expansion, but perhaps the encounters are considered by the creators to be more thematically tied to certain expansions.

Thoughts, anyone?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tibs
United States
Amherst
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I can't weigh in until I know what the card in question actually says.

You could just toss everything in and then reject cards during a game if they call for mechanics you're not using.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin
Sweden
Uppsala
flag msg tools
badge
PROTEIN. WATER. LIQUOR.
mbmbmbmbmb
Is there nothing in the card text that demands some component or rule from Innsmouth Horror?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
rwinder wrote:
I was very pleased to be able to find locally a copy Miskatonic Horror yesterday! While sorting them into my collection (which will likely lead to a long blog post on reorganizing for the expansion) I was looking over some of its contents to get a feel for what was added and I noticed that there are a couple of location cards in the expansion towns of Kingsport, Innsmouth, and Dunwich that have two expansion town icons on them. It makes sense in some (such as a Kingsport co-iconed with Dunwich card that asks you to take a trip to Another Time) but in others I for the life of me can't tell what the reason for the dual icons is.

An example (and light spoilers for those who don't want to know anything about what's at the locations):
Spoiler (click to reveal)
The Artists' Colony/Hall School/Neil's Curiosity Shop card that is labeled Kingsport and Innsmouth that have the "An artist is sketching..."/"Someone sneaks a book..."/"Neil rambles on..." encounters.

There doesn't seem to be anything "broken" about the absence of a direct mechanical lift from the alternate icon expansion, but perhaps the encounters are considered by the creators to be more thematically tied to certain expansions.

Thoughts, anyone?

There is less of a thematic tie and more just to make sure there was a balance.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Walker
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Put them in the base game cards and discard them when they come up irrelevant since there's probably not many of them.
bang.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The rwinder
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
Come read my Arkham Horror stories on Twitter @ArkhamHorror
badge
Image courtesy of Smizmazmarlemagne
mbmbmbmbmb
ColtsFan76 wrote:

There is less of a thematic tie and more just to make sure there was a balance.

I guess it's as simple as that, but it just seems a little odd to arbitrarily mark an encounter card as being relevant to Innsmouth if there's nothing really Innsmouth related on it. Unless I want to evoke a specific expansion, I typically just play with everything that can be applicable as it comes up regardless of its expansion label, so the considerations of balance didn't really occur to me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tibs
United States
Amherst
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If there's nothing Innsmouth-related on the card, be it mechanics or theme, then there is nothing to "balance." It was a meaningless gesture.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Demers
Canada
Montréal south shore
Québec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My opinion on this subject is that FFG missed a good opportunity to link all the boards together.

The MH adds around 20 cards per location. Around 8 of them are only for the said expansion board. While the rest of the cards, even if they have a second icon, most of them have nothing to do with another expansion. This means that you probably only have let say, maybe 6 or 7 cards that really link to another expansion. In the end, counting all the location cards, you probably only have 1/4 or 1/5 chances of drawing a card that is gonna link you with another expansion. I was expecting more from that 20 cards addition!soblue

I hope FFG didn't do it on purpose with the idea of selling us in a near future another expansion expansion completing the decks, because this time I'll give up! Especially not after having paid 50$ for an almost empty big box.yuk

Don't get me wrong, AH is still one of my top 5 games. But I think this expansion really disappointed me because I had so much expectations.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
kungfro wrote:
If there's nothing Innsmouth-related on the card, be it mechanics or theme, then there is nothing to "balance." It was a meaningless gesture.

Every encounter from the expansions is 100% tied to its expansion with theme or mechanics? I don't think so.

They wanted X amount of cards from each set to be of another expansion as well. It doesn't necessarily need to match up with the them or the mechanics as long as it doesn't conflict with the theme or the mechanics.

There are a lot of new encounter cards. Most of them do match theme and/or mechanics. This particular card does not.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tibs
United States
Amherst
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ColtsFan76 wrote:
Every encounter from the expansions is 100% tied to its expansion with theme or mechanics? I don't think so.

Doesn't need to be. As everyone is aware, each expansion was originally designed independent of the others. Black Goat adds four encounter cards per location, but they don't all need to reference the cult in them. The fact is, you were aware you were playing a Black Goat game.

But to mark a Kingsport location with an Innsmouth card just so the deck has a certain amount? Kind of unnecessary. It wouldn't have hurt to drop some Innsmouth reference in there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
kungfro wrote:
But to mark a Kingsport location with an Innsmouth card just so the deck has a certain amount? Kind of unnecessary. It wouldn't have hurt to drop some Innsmouth reference in there.

It was probably overlooked. The point is just to have an even amount of encounter cards (for whatever reason - it is the way it has always been even if the encounters were duplicates). The option is what? Drop the card completely so both Kingsport and Innsmouth are short one card?

It doesn't hurt anything that this is in there. I haven't checked but I am sure it is tying into the common encounter for those locations. It may have been what they wanted but their creative juices ran out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tibs
United States
Amherst
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I know it doesn't hurt anything. But they really didn't need identical numbers of encounters at each location. It could have done without the Innsmouth symbol, is what I'm saying.

There's bound to be more like this, so they really could have just had dissimilar numbers.

But, I guess it's not a big deal. And I, for one, completely empathize with the need to have "balanced numbers" of something.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
kungfro wrote:
I know it doesn't hurt anything. But they really didn't need identical numbers of encounters at each location.

We'll just have to agree to disagree. It is a means to have the chances of any one particular encounter the same as all the others. I am also quite sure the outcry of a location getting short changed would have been much greater than this.

But as always, if you (general you, not necessarily you, Tibs) don't like it, feel free to trash the card.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tibs
United States
Amherst
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hell no! The more encounters the merrier. And you know I play "all expansion" games so the expansion icons have essentially no meaning to me.

It's just, this card is a
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Bolton
England
Devizes
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
nothing to see here, move along
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kungfro wrote:
Hell no! The more encounters the merrier. And you know I play "all expansion" games

Me too - every game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freelance Police
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
rwinder wrote:
but in others I for the life of me can't tell what the reason for the dual icons is.

Could be that, at one time during development, the card *did* tie in closer to both expansions. Mebbe a revision caused it to be less essential.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.