Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Brendan Newell
United Kingdom
Manchester
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Can anyone recommend any set collecting type card games based on either a standard deck of playing cards or something similar. Something more complex than Rummy but with a simpler scoring system than Lost Cities.
Cheers!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Fee
United States
Corning
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
No fair! They're using brains against us! We removed our brains to make room for guns and explosives!
mbmbmbmbmb
If you aren't opposed to print and play, there was a themed rummy contest a while ago (Design Contest - Themed Rummy Contest Judged by Mike Fitzgerald - Discussion). You might find something there that fits your criteria.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin J
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Interesting question, since I can't think of anything obvious besides rummy. Maybe check out some of the stuff in this link.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Morris
Scotland
Harrogate
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
designer
Join the BGG Folding @Home Team !!
badge
This user had more :gg: than sense
mbmbmbmbmb
You could try various Decktet games. My own Boojum is an auction-based rummy-like thing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Lacombe
Louisiana
msg tools
badge
Suddenly a shot rang out! A door slammed. The maid screamed. Suddenly a pirate ship appeared on the horizon! While millions of people were starving, the king lived in luxury. Meanwhile, on a small farm in Kansas, a boy was growing up.
mbmbmbmbmb
brendannewell wrote:
Something more complex than Rummy but with a simpler scoring system than Lost Cities.

I don't really see how Rummy is any less complicated to score than Lost Cities, but ok. :shrug: I guess you're looking for addition / subtraction only without the added need to multiply things out?

In any event, Canasta is the obvious choice for a traditional card game in the Rummy family that is more complex than Rummy. There are a lot of variants, all perfectly fine.

I don't know whether the scoring would be too complicated, but Mahjong / Mhing [AKA Mah Jongg playing cards] is among the best set collecting card games. Mhing is a nice middle-weight variant.

The Decktet offers a number of interesting options, mostly auction-based set-collecting games like Goblin Market or Boojum, but also has traditional stuff like Bharg.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
NateStraight wrote:

I don't know whether the scoring would be too complicated, but Mahjong / Mhing [AKA Mah Jongg playing cards] is among the best set collecting card games. Mhing is a nice middle-weight variant.

You could also consider Tien Zi Que - it's only for 2 players, and feels like Mahjong boiled down to a quick card game. My wife and I enjoy this game quite a bit!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin B. Smith
United States
Mercer Island
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I think Jaipur would qualify.

Also Archaeology: The Card Game or Mystery Rummy: Jack the Ripper, but we didn't like them nearly as much.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jflartner
United States
Conshohocken
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Not playable with a standard deck of cards, but still prettyinexpensive, Biblios incorporates a few different gameplay mechanisms, but it is, at its heart, a set collection game...and a fantastic one at that - easy, portable, quick to teach/play, and wonderful with 2, 3, and 4.

GET IT NOW
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clyde W
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
Red Team
badge
#YOLO
mbmbmbmbmb
Wyatt Earp is a Richard Borg set collection based on rummy but with some action cards that allow you to do stuff like steal from others and a wild west theme

Byzanz is an set collection rummy game with a very unique auction mechanism and a farming theme

Circus Flohcati is a Reiner Knizia set collection rummy game with a push-your-luck element and a flea circus theme

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.