Ambush!» Forums » Rules

Subject: Activation and German action question rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Bando Too
United States
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
I just did my first run through of Mission one and lost and I have some thoughts as to why but I wanted to clarify some things before I tried again. I used this board as I played and it answered a lot of questions but not all.

1. If my Activation range is 0-1 and the paragraph says to do an activation check +3 then I add that to the range (not my roll) and the range becomes 0-4 correct? In this case if I roll a 4 or less the roll succeeds and the German is activated. I,m pretty sure I got confused and was happy whn I did't succeed only to realize that without Germans I would have no VP.

2. A German solider is wounded and falls prone, he looses his turn, the next round can he crouch to fire if that is his action paragraph?

3. If a solider is unaware can he still move around the board towards another objective that is not the German Solider?

4. For order of soliders in rounds do those with two actions take them one after another or take their second turn after everyone has had their first?

5. If I have multiple soilders on the same action track do I go in initiative order starting from 5 down, or do I choose?

Thanks for all the help.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Kaiser
United States
Aurora
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bando2 wrote:

1. If my Activation range is 0-1 and the paragraph says to do an activation check +3 then I add that to the range (not my roll) and the range becomes 0-4 correct? In this case if I roll a 4 or less the roll succeeds and the German is activated. I,m pretty sure I got confused and was happy whn I did't succeed only to realize that without Germans I would have no VP.

That is correct. The modifier applies to the activation level not the die roll. The unmodified die roll is compared to the modified activation level. Any roll equal to or less than the activation level succeeds.

Quote:
2. A German solider is wounded and falls prone, he looses his turn, the next round can he crouch to fire if that is his action paragraph?

He can but at a penalty. Since he's wounded the soldier would not get a free stance change so he would have to expend a movement point to change stance. Wounded soldiers have 2 movement points so he would have to expend half of those. This allows him to take a Move/Snap Fire action. At the end of this action he would not have movement points left to fall prone if instructed to do so. Wounded soldiers have a -1 combat modifier and the snap fire modifier is -2 so the soldier would have a -3 combat modifier before applying modifiers for terrain etc. Snap firing a weapon also changes the weapon jam percentages as well so be sure to take that into account if applicable.

Quote:
3. If a solider is unaware can he still move around the board towards another objective that is not the German Solider?

Unaware soldiers cannot perform actions. Their counter stays in the Unaware section of the Action Round Track until they become aware on turn two or three (when automatically become aware).

Quote:
4. For order of soliders in rounds do those with two actions take them one after another or take their second turn after everyone has had their first?

In rounds, all counters are activated from top to bottom. So if the Germans win initiative then their 2 Turns counters would activate first followed by US 2 Turn counters, followed by German 1 turn counters (including the counters activated previously which are now 1 Turn), followed by the US 1 Turn counters. Then any counters in the Panic boxes are moved to the Complete box and the next turn starts.

Quote:
5. If I have multiple soilders on the same action track do I go in initiative order starting from 5 down, or do I choose?

For US counters in the same space you get to choose. For the Germans they go in alphabetical order. Since Germans with high initiatives have lower letters you will usually start on the right and work left. The exception to this would be some cases where a German commander is instructed to give a turn to another soldier. This may create an instance where this order would change but it doesn't happen often.

Hope that helps
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bando Too
United States
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
This was great and just what I wanted to know. Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Hritz
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
I'll add that a commander can make a soldier aware by expending a turn.T he soldier is the placed in the aware statust but without turns. Then in the second round he gets turn/s without the risk of failing to become aware on his own. This can be very important if he has big "heater" and an average or low awareness number. Generally this action is a good idea with a green squad.

So when that PKW/IV opens up on your boys, and PVT Knucklehead with the Bazooka doesn't see it,well you know what to do.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Kaiser
United States
Aurora
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
pj64athome wrote:
I'll add that a commander can make a soldier aware by expending a turn.T he soldier is the placed in the aware statust but without turns. Then in the second round he gets turn/s without the risk of failing to become aware on his own. This can be very important if he has big "heater" and an average or low awareness number. Generally this action is a good idea with a green squad.

So when that PKW/IV opens up on your boys, and PVT Knucklehead with the Bazooka doesn't see it,well you know what to do.

That certainly is possible but I think in all the times I've played I might have only done this once or twice. It is rarely necessary since you should carefully think through how you assign key weapons prior to the start of the scenario. You need those weapons in the hands of a soldier that is going to be aware. It's not always possible but that what you should aim for. And you should never place them in the hands of a commander.

I should note that generally when moving in operation mode I employ a "spotter". I never move my soldiers in a group. I always move one soldier with a high awareness/perception into a hex first and then the rest follow. And I make sure that following group is always in cover. This limits how exposed my whole team is to a threat. In the extreme case of none of the soldiers being aware then I usually only risk a single soldier. If that single soldier is active and the rest unaware I'll get him into cover until the rest come round to the threat. All I've lost is a round or two of combat where the Germans are hopefully unable to get a good shot at anyone anyway. You shouldn't rush into combat just because the potential is there. Waiting a turn or two doesn't hurt you in most cases and is usually to your advantage. Waiting until your entire squad is active and you have a leader with two turns available is a perfectly sound approach that will very often get you through a tough encounter with limited loss of life.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Hritz
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
I like to use my own name as squad leader and most of the time I pick a BAR for myself and some times an SMG because being more effective it will help advance the leader first. Then as I get higher numbers I spread the wealth. I would not use a Bazooka or other crew served weapon. I always send out a PVT with the best awareness to beat the brush and then send in help when things get hot.

As I mentioned making someone aware is in the case of rolling for and creating, green, "heavily armed duds" as my friend would say.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam vanLangenberg
Australia
Cheltenham
Victoria
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
pj64athome wrote:
I'll add that a commander can make a soldier aware by expending a turn.T he soldier is the placed in the aware statust but without turns.

Where is the aware space on the track? I only have Complete and Unaware.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.