Subject: Custom Card Trials - by rshel rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
David Sheldon
United States
Enon
Ohio
flag msg tools
During a fit of insomnia a few weeks ago, I made some custom supply/prize cards and have since adopted, on average, 2-4 of them into "less serious" games with my friends.
I made these cards with some combination of these 3 basic intentions:
-Disrupt/dissolve existing (often predictable) engines or even strategies
-Create the game ending conditions at a very unexpected time
-Instill a little bit of sillyness or humor from time-to-time, hopefully without going overboard.

They seem fairly balanced (almost a meaningless term in dominion), though I'm sure many could be stated more concisely while preserving their original intent.
They play fine and create some wholly new situations, though any synergies (except durations which are a no-brainer anyway) were just pleasant surprises.

As a side note, it's fairly obvious I feel that there aren't enough: multi-type cards, durations, reactions, or prizes. If you feel the same about the retail sets, maybe you'll like these.

I welcome all thoughts, even if you want to point out where I stole some ideas from :-)

Monopoly
Action- Reaction- Prize
IF your hand contains 5 victory cards,
Gain entire province supply (ending game)
Or 1 colony and 1 province (trash this card if game continues)
* if you or the previous player played a criminal in this current round, playing this ALSO
gains you the entire curse supply, before the game ends!
Meditation
Action - Duration - Cost 6
You may mimic any action card currently in play, at the start of your next turn before
your action phase. Announce what you will be doing. If you can leave a card of your
own out to remind you, it is counted with this card as "one card in play" and has no other
effect between your turns. A meditation or it's mimicked action cannot be mimicked.
Souvenir Holy Grail FIXED
Action - Reaction - Duration- Prize
When you gain a card costing $2+ from the supply, you may play this card to change every other game reference to the number "3" into the number "5". This is in effect through the endgame (including VP count) or until another prize is played.
Chemist
Action - Cost 7
Choose: +1 Action and Gain any supply card requiring a potion for your hand
Or trash this and 1 potion and gain 2 gold to the top of your deck.
Strategist
Action - Attack- Reaction - cost 4
You and all affected players must discard any attack cards or reveal a hand with none. If
an attack is played with this in hand, you may reveal it to cause the attacking player to
also suffer their own attack.
Vast misfortune
Action - Duration - cost 5
Beginning with your current buy phase, all references to additional (+) become less (-).
Players may still use gain actions but may not complete any actions that inv
olve trashing cards. This concludes before your next turn begins, when you then get +1
buy, +1 dollar, and an additional card for every opponent you face.
Enchanted Rose
Action - Reaction - cost 6
With this in your hand, any single card revealed during any opponents attack may be
taken by you (Priority goes to you) into your discard, and replaced by a silver from the
supply if it is an opponent's card. The silver
is placed unaffected where the original card was revealed. You may use this on more
than one player including yourself in a single attack if you subsequently trash this, except
when you gain a victory card.
Secret Curse
Action -reaction -Cost 4
+2 dollars
While in hand Or in play, you gain a duchy with every curse you gain.
If princess is played, reveal thiS to trash in- hand curse(s) and gain a province. If any
opponent has any village type in hand, they can attack you with this in play, making your
next draw only three cards.
Feigning Leprosy
Action - cost 3
If you trash a card from your hand (or this card) and forfeit your buy(s), you can gain up
to 2 different standard action cards from any untouched piles.
Slumber Party
Action - Duration - Cost 4
If the person before you had an(y) unused buy(s) or action(s), and you have any victory
card in your hand or atop your discard, you may skip your buy phase and set aside up to
two action cards from your hand to play at the start of your next turn.
Bulk trader
Action - Cost 6
For the price of a single copy of a supply card plus 2 dollars more, you may buy 2 copies
at once, for cards costing 7 dollars or less.
Weighted Tin
Action - Cost 1
This card doubles the value of a single in- hand copper or silver. Trash if used with a
silver.
Fourth Wall
Action - Prize -Victory
If you trash this, you may Buy a card of your choice not in the supply costing five or less,
with each opponent holding five cards getting one veto. Otherwise this is worth 3 VP for
every prize you finish with, including this.
Ante
Action - treasure- duration - cost 4
Everyone must reveal their current standard treasure cards From their hand. However
many opponents you currently best, + that much treasure. Additional +1 treasure if you
are highest of all. +1 buy now and for your next turn.
The First Evil
Action - Attack - Reaction - cost 6
If this is played or revealed by a player when the last of any supply stack is taken, they
may trash any other whole stack, and anyone defenseless gains two curse cards. If the
province stack is trashed this way, the game continues until three stacks are gone.
Ensouled Nosferatu
Action - cost 5
If anyone wishes to reveal a curse you gain 2 actions. If no one does, you gain two cards.
If no one clearly says the word "blood" before you draw both, +1 action.
Eloquent
Action - cost 3
+ 1 dollar
+ 1 dollar for every multiple- word Titled card in your hand
Forfeit your buy if you blatantly mispronounce anything with this in play.
Acquisitionaire
Action – Attack (Cost: $6)
In reverse turn order, opponents reveal
their hand one-at-a-time, until you take
from CURRENT single opponent: ANY amount of
Provinces; or ANY single other card, and
place the card(s) into your hand.
-1 Buy (unless you take no cards)
Upon clean-up:
Shuffle all your other discarded cards and
place them under your deck, leaving only
this card discarded.
IF you gained a card costing 6+, simply trash
this card.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Green
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The wording on these cards is non-standard, and may cause a bit of confusion, but this is a nit-pick. I suspect that you'll get more serious replies if you can streamline it, though.

rshel86 wrote:
Eloquent
Action - cost 3
+ 1 dollar

This card looks awesome, if only for the penalty for mispronouncing. I suggest changing this power to a Reaction ability for maximum effect. devil

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Sheldon
United States
Enon
Ohio
flag msg tools
KernTheGerm wrote:
The wording on these cards is non-standard, and may cause a bit of confusion, but this is a nit-pick. I suspect that you'll get more serious replies if you can streamline it, though.

rshel86 wrote:
Eloquent
Action - cost 3
+ 1 dollar

This card looks awesome, if only for the penalty for mispronouncing. I suggest changing this power to a Reaction ability for maximum effect. devil

it IS fun, obviously a little silly. Tried it out yet?

Can you show me an example of one of them converted to "standard" wording...so I know what you mean?

Edit: Ahh I notice I probably should switch the cards that say "If you trash this then" to "Trash this card to" ...etc.....maybe you have a specific example in mind.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.