6 Posts

Dominant Species» Forums » Rules

Subject: Speciation rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Clive Bixby
msg tools
Hello all,

I'm looking to clarify the speciation action. I couldn't find any earlier post that addressed this issue.

If you choose an element on the board that has multiple grouped tile types adjacent to it, what do you do?

For example: If you choose an element that has a Jungle, a Forest, and a Savannah adjacent to it does that mean you get to place 3 species on each tile (for a total of 9) or only a total of 3 species between the three tiles?

Hope that makes sense.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
For each element, any terrain adjacent to it gets the maximum amount of species. So 9 in your example is correct.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
alan beaumont
United Kingdom
LONDON
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
CliveBixby wrote:
If you choose an element on the board that has multiple grouped tile types adjacent to it, what do you do?
The tile mix is irrelevant. You may speciate up to their maximum placement limit on any or all, as you prefer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clive Bixby
msg tools
Excellent. Thank Brian!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Providence
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's too bad you used a terrible example with all 3 terrains getting up to 3 species individually.

A better example would be:

"For example: If you choose an element that has a Desert (+2), a Savannah (+3), and a Sea(+4) adjacent to it does that mean you get to place..."

I might not say you get to place the 'maximum' on each tile, as that might lead you to believe in this better example that you could place 4 (the max out of 2, 3 and 4) on each tile, and might be ambiguous.

You place what the diagrammed terrain on the board says you can place on each tile. You take each tile individually and look it up on the board and place up to that many species on that specific tile.

So in my example above, the Desert could receive 2 species, the Savannah, 3 species, and the Sea 4 species.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kristof Bodric
Serbia
Novi Sad
flag msg tools
badge
And the ranger's aim was deadly with the big iron on his hip...
mbmbmbmbmb
We usually use the tile colours to remember:
white - 1
brown - 2
green - 3
blue - 4

There are, of course, situations where you might not wish to speciate to the full potential of a tile, such as the impending doom of your newly emerged species or the late-game scarcity of species cubes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.