Popular Tags: [View All]
Gerald Katz
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
VAMPIRE Resolution/Expert

Uses Eliminated Ships

Game Setup: Take the ships of a color not in use and place them on this sheet.

You have the power to Enslave. When you win an encounter as main player, use this power to stack a ship of your second color over each losing ship and place these ships among your colonies. When you win an encounter as an ally, use this power to take one losing ship from each opposing player, stacking under a second color ship. These ships are your ships for the rest of the game. Mobius Tubes frees all enslaved ships, as does Warp Break for the color chosen, even if you do not have this power.

HISTORY: The Vampires sowed terror on their home planet for centuries before wiping out all other life forms, turning them into vampires one by one. Then they turned their attention, their blood lust, and their fangs to the blackness of the Cosmos.

FLARE

All
Wild: As a main player, you may take one other player's ships on any planet where you share a colony, switching his ships with yours from the warp. Give this flare to Vampire if in the game; otherwise, discard after use.

Regroup
Super: Prevent a Mobius Tubes or Warp Break from freeing enslaved ships.

Commentary: This is a resource power that was originally the Eon Super Flare effect for Zombie that Mayfair made into a power. I changed the Super Flare effect from the Mayfair version because Mayfair Flares are all use once and discard. Its effect allowed Vampire to enslave all ships in the encounter, regardless if he won or not. If he lost, the enslaved ships went to the warp. Since there are few Mobius Tubes and Warp Breaks, Vampire holds onto his new ships for a long time. Timing needs to be right for using the Super Flare.

When Vampire and Fungus are in the same game, there's a great battle between them for getting other players' ships. The game becomes Cosmic when Vampire enslaves a Fungoid stack. The stack counts as one ship. When freed by a Mobius Tubes or Warp Break, the stack returns to Fungus. Ships in that stack are not freed. Neither are ships freed when the stack as a Vampire ship goes to the warp. If a Fungus stack is enslaved by Vampire, but then Fungus adheres to it again, what happens to the stack? According to Fungus, adhered to ships do not have any special characteristics. The stack was one Vampire ship. It remains one ship adhered to under a Fungus ship. The ship in the original stack do not count for anything. Therefore, as I see it, Fungus loses out to Vampire in the long run.

Gerald Katz
Don't forget to tip the Butler!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken H.
United States
Amherst
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

I always thought this was a very flavorful power. One of the few downsides of FFG's great plastic space ships is the loss of token-flipping powers.

hadsil wrote:
This is a resource power that was originally the Eon Super Flare effect for Zombie that Mayfair made into a power.

I always forget the details, but this alien was actually published in a magazine in 1978, a year before Eon published the flares expansion. I can never recall what magazine, but the power was designed by Alan Emrich. I still have a copy of it (the alien, not the magazine).

So, while you are of course correct about the Eon Super Flare, it is technically incorrect to say it "originally" appeared there.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mi Myma
United States
Fountain Valley
California
flag msg tools
Why is there no Word Games Forum or Subdomain?
badge
There should be a Word Games Subdomain, or at least a Word Games Forum!
mbmbmbmbmb
It's also interesting to compare this to Warpish - both powers lose their advantage when a Mobius Tubes is played. Warpish simply gets plusses to Attack totals, while Vampire gets ships.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mar hawkman
msg tools
For all have sinned and fallen short of the glory
mbmbmbmbmb
Vampire vs fungus is neat. Even Worse? vampire vs Fungus vs a power that can copy them!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.