7 Posts

Cosmic Encounter» Forums » Rules

Subject: Being asked to removing the last ship on a colony? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Avaclon Servante
msg tools
Hi,

This is a point of contention between me and some of the players I play with. Lemme give an example: Sometimes in a game there would only be 5 ships left for a particular player, and each ship is on a each of his home planet. Then some alien power or some card that causes him to lose ships, does he then lose that colony?

The reason I'm asking is because my group of players keep saying that's too strong, or that shouldn't be the case, there should be no way to force remove the last ship from a colony unless it's by an attack force directly.

Unfortunately I cannot find it anywhere in the rules to back myself up, any help is appreciated. Thank!

- Ava
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Reda
United States
Herndon
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
Guess the games in my uberbadge!
badge
My favorite game is Cosmic Encounter.
mbmbmbmbmb
No way to keep the colony. If you have to remove the last ship, then the last ship has to go. Don't let yourself get so spread thin. Remember, you can use ships from foreign colonies to ally in other encounters, and when returning ships from the warp or an encounter, they can go to any place you have a colony, not just the one they came from.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Montgomery
United States
Modesto
California
flag msg tools
badge
The Shipyard - Star Trek Attack Wing spoilers and reviews
mbmbmbmbmb
The power is able to force someone to abandon a colony. Also, a player can voluntarily choose to abandon a colony of his own.

The two powers that come to mind are Vacuum and Cudgel. The power in both of these is to make your opponents lose ships. By saying that certain ships can't be lost, that makes them have less of a power.

Also, if plague is played on someone, they must lose 3 ships to the warp, unless they have fewer than 3 ships on colonies.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason S
msg tools
The rules say if you draw your own color out of the destiny deck and have an empty planet in your home system, you can point the hypergate to said planet and colonize it with a ship. There would be no need to do this if you didn't lose the planet by removing the last ship.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freelance Police
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Protip: If you let 3/4 of your tokens to go the Warp, you ARE playing badly.

Unless you're the Warp. And your opponent isn't Loser. Or Pacifist. Or... laugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mi Myma
United States
Fountain Valley
California
flag msg tools
Why is there no Word Games Forum or Subdomain?
badge
There should be a Word Games Subdomain, or at least a Word Games Forum!
mbmbmbmbmb
Sam and Max wrote:
Protip: If you let 3/4 of your tokens to go the Warp, you ARE playing badly.

Unless you're the Warp. And your opponent isn't Loser. Or Pacifist. Or... laugh

Or unless you're the Masochist.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gerald Katz
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm reminded of a game I played with multi-powers in a Mayfair game during a convention. One player had Amoeba/Zombie. Yeah, I know. Super combos were permitted. He certainly did ooze in all his tokens except those to keep his bases every time. It was annoying.

By good happenstance I got the Attack 40. Amoeba/Zombie attacked Delegator/Something. I allied with her. Amoeba/Zombie oozed in everything while Delegator made me defender. I played my 40, defeating Amoeba/Zombie. By the way, I was Bully/Something. I chose all his tokens from his one token only bases, leaving him with no power and no bases at all. The rest of his tokens on the cone, with nowhere else to go, were supposed to go the warp. However, other players (not Amoeba/Zombie) threw a hissy fit over it, dragging in people who weren't even playing that game but rather a different Cosmic game. Argument never ended. I just quit. I will give Amoeba/Zombie player credit again in saying he accepted his defeat graciously and hadn't argued at all.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.