Subject: iOS gaming rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Buz
United States
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So I've got $10 on a iTunes gift card earmarked for games for my iPad. They don't have to be boardgame ports, but bonus if they are. I'm not looking for quantity per se, but more than one would be a bonus. Other bonuses are:

1. Pass n play multiplayer
2. Good solo play
3. Ability to save game in progress (more important if longer game)

I prefer boardgames like Race for the Galaxy, Le Havre or Agricola and I did play a fair bit of Age of Empires and Civilization computer games, so I'm looking for something more in that vein than Angry Birds.

Thanks in advance for the help!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Sommer
United States
Racine
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Might want to check out these lists:

http://boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/27829/iphone-board-games

http://boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/53671/boardgames-for-apple...

http://boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/57139/ipad-board-games-mul...

Personally, I think the CARCASSONNE app has the best mix of graphics, gameplay, multiplayer, and solo play. I haven't played TICKET TO RIDE on the iPad, but they just released an update that allowed pass-and-play.

Many of the games you mention, like AGRICOLA, LE HAVRE, etc., all have apps "coming soon."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C. S. Smith
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Check out http://ipadboardgames.org.

I love Neuroshima Hex. There's a lite version. I've been playing Ascension lite a lot lately and may buy that this week.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Bender
United States
Knoxville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm going to recommend you try the Ascension iOS app (full version is $5 or there is a free version which lacks online play). Ascension is a deck building game that is closest to Race for the Galaxy among those games you like. It is also one of the best conversions from real to virtual that I have played (although it lacks chat in multiplayer and leader boards).

Among direct conflict strategy games that have been ported both Small World ($6.99) and Nueroshima Hex (4.99) are good choices.

For games more like Le Havre or Agricola you could wait for Sage boardgames port of Puerto Rico which is coming soon.

Also, Through the Desert HD (2.99) and Ticket to Ride ($6.99) are good implementations of games you have rated highly.

There is a version of Civilization (Civilization Revolution) for the iPad but it $12.99.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Duke Of Lizards
United States
Montpelier
Vermont
flag msg tools
Livin's mostly wasting time, and I waste my share of mine
badge
I am a breathing time machine
mbmbmbmbmb
Another GeekList to which you can refer.

Personal faves:

Carcassonne
Samurai
Ticket to Ride
Small World (lacks online play)
Neuroshima Hex (online play is coming...)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clyde W
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
Red Team
badge
#YOLO
mbmbmbmbmb
Grab Tichu quick and forever curse the name BECKY!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clyde W
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
Red Team
badge
#YOLO
mbmbmbmbmb
Also, Cargo Runners and Noir are two original board games for iOS that you should definitely pick up if you have someone to play them with you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clyde W
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
Red Team
badge
#YOLO
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh and there's also a blog here about this: iOS Board Games
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Sommer
United States
Racine
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
clydeiii wrote:
Grab Tichu quick and forever curse the name BECKY!

I love Becky!

clydeiii wrote:
Also, Cargo Runners and Noir are two original board games for iOS that you should definitely pick up if you have someone to play them with you.

Just be aware that there is currently NO single-player AI option on Cargo Runners. I know you sort of mentioned it, but I thought it should be made as clear as possible.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave B.
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Roll Through the Ages is only $3, I think. It's pretty much Yahtzee Civilization, and can be played solo. I haven't played the iPhone version, but I have the real thing, and it's pretty fun. Reviews for the iPhone version of the game seem generally favorable.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Wulf

Springfield
Illinois
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I own many/most of the ios board game available, and hands down CARCASSONNE is the best of the bunch; a damn near flawless implementation... the best of the rest would include Samurai, Small World, Ticket to Ride, Though the Desert, Nueroshima Hex and Medici....I agree Civilization Revolution might scratch your board game itch as well...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brett Hudoba
United States
Bloomington
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
thumbsup for Ascension:CotG! It is an amazingly well-adapted and highly intuitive port of the CCG, and features an excellent tutorial. The AI is appropriately challenging as well, even with multiple opponents. I just bought the full version two days ago and am loving it.

+1 vote from me for other suggestions here: Small World (it's unfortunately 2P only), Samurai, Neuroshima Hex (don't play with more than one AI opponent, though), and Roll Through the Ages.

I would also highly recommend: Ra and Tikal (which both feature online play) as well as Medici and Kingsburg.

Looking forward to Puerto Rico... cool
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brett Hudoba
United States
Bloomington
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
BlackNinjaFF wrote:
Check out http://ipadboardgames.org.

I love Neuroshima Hex. There's a lite version. I've been playing Ascension lite a lot lately and may buy that this week.

Thanks for this reference! thumbsup

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Sommer
United States
Racine
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
chindent wrote:
thumbsup for Ascension:CotG! It is an amazingly well-adapted and highly intuitive port of the CCG, and features an excellent tutorial.

You know, you're not the first person I've seen who has said the iOS app had an "excellent" tutorial. I must have missed something, because I thought the tutorial was pretty basic and did a poor job of explaining any kind of strategy or tactics. While it DOES explain the basic mechanics fairly well, I left me feeling that I had no idea what I was really supposed to be DOING strategically-- I won my first few games, but didn't have a good grasp on WHY or what I could have or should have done differently. Keep in mind, too, that I'd never played the physical game before.

Maybe I'm in the minority, but I definitely think they could improve on the information presented in the tutorial.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brett Hudoba
United States
Bloomington
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
SommerMatt wrote:
chindent wrote:
thumbsup for Ascension:CotG! It is an amazingly well-adapted and highly intuitive port of the CCG, and features an excellent tutorial.

You know, you're not the first person I've seen who has said the iOS app had an "excellent" tutorial. I must have missed something, because I thought the tutorial was pretty basic and did a poor job of explaining any kind of strategy or tactics. While it DOES explain the basic mechanics fairly well, I left me feeling that I had no idea what I was really supposed to be DOING strategically-- I won my first few games, but didn't have a good grasp on WHY or what I could have or should have done differently. Keep in mind, too, that I'd never played the physical game before.

Maybe I'm in the minority, but I definitely think they could improve on the information presented in the tutorial.

The purpose of any tutorial is to present a game's mechanics; it's hard to define a "one size fits all" set of strategy/tactics because everyone's play style is different, which further develops and evolves based on their personal experience with said game.

I think you did miss something because the Ascension tutorial does indeed explain over the course of several turns why you are doing certain things and the importance of the order in which you are revealing your cards and taking actions. If you just blow through the instructions without digesting them, I could see how it might be confusing. You can also reference the rulebook for additional clarifications, but it didn't seem necessary to me after the tutorial.

Of course, I had played the physical game once before, and also have some experience with Dominion and own Thunderstone, so I guess the learning curve wasn't that steep for me. Strangely, though, despite all that, the one time I tried Race for the Galaxy I felt like I was trying to learn Mandarin.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Herring
United States
Pflugerville
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
buzhannon wrote:
So I've got $10 on a iTunes gift card earmarked for games for my iPad. They don't have to be boardgame ports, but bonus if they are. I'm not looking for quantity per se, but more than one would be a bonus. Other bonuses are:

1. Pass n play multiplayer
2. Good solo play
3. Ability to save game in progress (more important if longer game)

I prefer boardgames like Race for the Galaxy, Le Havre or Agricola and I did play a fair bit of Age of Empires and Civilization computer games, so I'm looking for something more in that vein than Angry Birds.

Thanks in advance for the help!

Ticket to Ride is at the top of my list with what you have stated here.It just got the pass n play update and it works very well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Sommer
United States
Racine
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
chindent wrote:
The purpose of any tutorial is to present a game's mechanics; it's hard to define a "one size fits all" set of strategy/tactics because everyone's play style is different, which further develops and evolves based on their personal experience with said game.

I think you did miss something because the Ascension tutorial does indeed explain over the course of several turns why you are doing certain things and the importance of the order in which you are revealing your cards and taking actions. If you just blow through the instructions without digesting them, I could see how it might be confusing. You can also reference the rulebook for additional clarifications, but it didn't seem necessary to me after the tutorial.

I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree. The tutorial, by my recollection, TOLD me to pick certain cards for a few rounds and then left me to continue the game I'd started. I haven't gone through it since the game launched, so I might be mistaken.

I agree that it's not reasonable to expect a game to cover ever possible situation, strategy, and tactic, but there are a few things that I think should be mentioned-- specifically the importance of "banishment" in gameplay.

I still think it's a fun game, and it's a great iOS port, but many newbies who have played this version ONLY seem to lack a coherent idea of what the best moves are for any given situation.

My only other knocks against the actual iOS port are the lack of chat, and the lack of multitasking/fast app switching.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Buz
United States
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Man, thanks for all the great recommendations. I'll have tons to look at and make my decision. It seems that asynchronous online is fairly rare, but probably the main way I'd play. Hmmm...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clyde W
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
Red Team
badge
#YOLO
mbmbmbmbmb
buzhannon wrote:
Man, thanks for all the great recommendations. I'll have tons to look at and make my decision. It seems that asynchronous online is fairly rare, but probably the main way I'd play. Hmmm...
Then Carc is your jam. Sadly, a lot of games just don't really work for async.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brett Hudoba
United States
Bloomington
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
The tutorial, by my recollection, TOLD me to pick certain cards for a few rounds and then left me to continue the game I'd started.

Yep, as I said, it tells you what cards to pick and walks through why you're doing it each turn. If you dismiss the commentary then you're not going to pick up any points on the strategy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Sommer
United States
Racine
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
chindent wrote:
Quote:
The tutorial, by my recollection, TOLD me to pick certain cards for a few rounds and then left me to continue the game I'd started.

Yep, as I said, it tells you what cards to pick and walks through why you're doing it each turn. If you dismiss the commentary then you're not going to pick up any points on the strategy.

As I said, agree to disagree.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Laura BlueFrost
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mb

The Tutorial on Ascension is the best I've ever seen and I've played a lot of computer games. It cuts to the point and teaches me the basics of the game which NOW makes me want to pick up Ascension (physical box) and play it with friends because frankly I am too lazy to read rulebooks.

I wish if every game comes with an iPad application with similar tutorials, that would save me a lot of time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Sommer
United States
Racine
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mmotomb wrote:

The Tutorial on Ascension is the best I've ever seen and I've played a lot of computer games. It cuts to the point and teaches me the basics of the game which NOW makes me want to pick up Ascension (physical box) and play it with friends because frankly I am too lazy to read rulebooks.

I wish if every game comes with an iPad application with similar tutorials, that would save me a lot of time.

The Carcassonne app tutorial is miles better than the one for Ascension.

But this is getting to feel like beating a dead horse, so I'll stop now.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.