Joe Pilkus
United States
South Riding
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Overall, it's an excellent expansion. I'm impressed the quality of the product, as always, in addition to the new mechanics. I have to admit, however, that I'm a fan of some aspects of the original CotDP expansion and while I'll blend some parts of the original with the latest version, I'll end-up not using other parts.

I'll absolutely include the new mechanic for obtaining Exhibit Items and the Patrol Markers.

These are the items I shall incorporate into the game, vice replacing them: Arkham Encounter and Other World Cards ; Exhibit Items; and Spells (yes, several have undergone a major rewrite, but that's okay)

These are the items which I shall not incorporate into the game: Mythos Cards (really Two sandstorms in one game [yes, I know that could happen if you pulled the Stars are Right card]), the new Detriments and Benefits Cards, and Allies

Good gaming!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Can you give a comparison between the two sets, in addition to what you liked/disliked? I.e. are the allies the same and that's why you're not mixing them? What Exhibit items are different? etc.

-shnar
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Pilkus
United States
South Riding
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
As I'm actually a fan of the Barred from Neighborhood mechanic, I've kept both sets of CotDP Arkham Encounter Cards. With nearly 300 Other World Cards, I have no problem incorporating both the new and old here, as well. With regard to the Exhibit Items, several have been reworked, but I like both sets, so I've simply combined them. As for Spells, they too have seen a rewrite of the spell effect...but adding them to the overall spell stack doesn't produce a problem.

Now, I'm not a fan of either the new Detriment and Benefit Cards, nor the Allies which give a +1 on two 'primary' attributes (Fight, Lore, etc.), vice +2 on two secondary attributes (Evade, Combat, etc.). Also, the Mythos Cards are exactly the same, so I'm disinclined to add them to the overall Mythos deck.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Mc Cabe
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
There are those who look at things the way they are and ask why . . . I dream of things that never were and ask why not
mbmbmbmbmb
The Professor wrote:
As I'm actually a fan of the Barred from Neighborhood mechanic, I've kept both sets of CotDP Arkham Encounter Cards. With nearly 300 Other World Cards, I have no problem incorporating both the new and old here, as well. With regard to the Exhibit Items, several have been reworked, but I like both sets, so I've simply combined them. As for Spells, they too have seen a rewrite of the spell effect...but adding them to the overall spell stack doesn't produce a problem.

Now, I'm not a fan of either the new Detriment and Benefit Cards, nor the Allies which give a +1 on two 'primary' attributes (Fight, Lore, etc.), vice +2 on two secondary attributes (Evade, Combat, etc.). Also, the Mythos Cards are exactly the same, so I'm disinclined to add them to the overall Mythos deck.

I'm still on the fence about the revised edition. In your opinion, are the changes that have been made worth the expense? Twenty-five dollars seems a little steep for something I've already got.

Brian

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Pilkus
United States
South Riding
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you can get it on-line (CoolStuffInc.) for $18 even better ~ especially, if like me, you're planning on combining everything. I would not have purchased this expansion if I hadn't planned on combining the best elements ~ which makes a slightly more robust Arkham Encounter and Other World Deck, coupled with both the Spells and Exhibits. On its own, as a replacement...no, I wouldn't advise it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
blair lafferty

Florida
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
is there any plan for a revised "king in yellow" set? i want to get a copy of KiY, but i'll wait if theres a revised ed on the horizon.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tristan Hall
England
Manchester
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
LIFEFORM - LIVE NOW ON KICKSTARTER!!!
badge
LIFEFORM - LIVE NOW ON KICKSTARTER!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
GreatGodPan wrote:
is there any plan for a revised "king in yellow" set? i want to get a copy of KiY, but i'll wait if theres a revised ed on the horizon.

Probably not - it wasn't riddled with issues like CotDP.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.