Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Bob S.
United States
Grand Rapids
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So, I am playing the Allies and my friend, French. He has moved Vandamme's corps into one of the central, large locales in the valley. I declare an attack threat across a wide approach; he identifies 2 units from Vandamme's corps as the DU. I declare the attack a feint and move 2 units - a 2-strength infantry and an artillery - from Miloradovitch's corps sitting in reserve in that locale to the attack approach. The French move their 2 DU to the defense side of the approach, where we now stand and glare at each other. In my next turn, I plan on beginning an hourly bombardment with my artillery (since the locale is a hill).

In his half of the turn, the French declares an attack threat against me across the same approach. I name my 2 units on the approach as DU since they are already there. The attack is not a feint; I name my pair as DLU and reveal them. He names and reveals his 2 on the approach as the AU & ALU - 2 artillery units! As a result, I lose the 2-strength infantry unit.

Following that bombardment, he launches another attack across the same approach using the other units making up Vandamme's corps in reserve. Miloradovitch tries to defend but is forced to retreat; my artillery at the approach is destroyed in the mayhem.

Well, that's one way to place artillery and make good use of them...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kris Van Beurden
Belgium
Leuven
Vlaams-Brabant
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, I always like to use my *opponent's* moves to place my artillery in position.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rusty McFisticuffs
United States
Arcata
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Depending on what else was going on on the map (and how much you knew about each others' units), that seems like really risky play for both of you.

Borz wrote:
I declare an attack threat across a wide approach; he identifies 2 units from Vandamme's corps as the DU.

I think that was risky for him because, if you'd had two 3-strength units (and your corps was at least 3 units in size), he would not have been able to keep you from blowing up Vandamme's corps. (Naming only two units as defenders on a wide approach leaves him no one to counterattack with.)

Borz wrote:
I declare the attack a feint and move 2 units - a 2-strength infantry and an artillery - from Miloradovitch's corps sitting in reserve in that locale to the attack approach.

I think that was risky for you because, with such a weakly-held approach, the French didn't even have to use their artillery; they could have blown up Miloradovich with a 3- and a 2-strength infantry, or two 2-strength cavalry. (Or a single 3-strength cavalry!)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Richbourg
United States
Arlington
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
This is Kyoshi, our adopted Shiba Inu.
mbmbmbmbmb
> Miloradovitch tries to defend

It sounds like perhaps you let Allied units in reserve defend against an attack when you had a unit (artillery) left in the defense approach. In that case, the units in reserve can only watch the battle and retreat; only the artillery in the approach can defend. Just pointing that out in case it helps.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob S.
United States
Grand Rapids
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
chargetheguns wrote:
> Miloradovitch tries to defend

It sounds like perhaps you let Allied units in reserve defend against an attack when you had a unit (artillery) left in the defense approach. In that case, the units in reserve can only watch the battle and retreat; only the artillery in the approach can defend. Just pointing that out in case it helps.

Ah - My description there was a little sloppy. The artillery did defend - it was in the approach already so had to. As it was alone, it didn't stand much chance. Miloradovitch's corps then retreated as a result of the loss.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.