Recommend
2 
 Thumb up
 Hide
11 Posts

Adaman» Forums » General

Subject: Can this be won? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ross & Christine Chilcott
United States
Coraopolis
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Without the extended deck mixed in to add more 10's, can the game actually be beat with only the basic deck? It seems like I'm stuck at the end with one of the crown personalities (always the bard!!) but with no way to get enough resources to influence him.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
P.D. Magnus
United States
Albany
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
It can be won, which is why there's an extra scoring rule. Over in another thread, some people even brag about their scores.

Quote:

It seems like I'm stuck at the end with one of the crown personalities (always the bard!!) but with no way to get enough resources to influence him.


Yes, always the Bard!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Timbledum
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes it can be! I would estimate my win loss ratio as 1:1 or 2 (25-50%), which is definitely better than my computer solitaire score. It gets easier as you get familiar with the deck and strategies. Remember to save up cards for the three or four high moon and sun cards, don't waste your suns and moons on personalities that can be bought out with other suits!
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justus
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
timbledum wrote:
Yes it can be! I would estimate my win loss ratio as 1:1 or 2 (25-50%), which is definitely better than my computer solitaire score. It gets easier as you get familiar with the deck and strategies. Remember to save up cards for the three or four high moon and sun cards, don't waste your suns and moons on personalities that can be bought out with other suits!


good grief! That is a really consistent rate. I have to say a major reason I've been playing Adaman so much lately is cause with the spotty artscow deck I'm not worried about ruining this decket!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I don't win often, but it definitely can be done. The trick is you have to make good decisions and have the cards come out nicely. Only one of those two isn't enough.

The key is definitely in the Sun and Moon suits though. If you can't find a way to get rid of those high cards, you'll always end up stuck at the end.
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sneezy96
United States
Cranston
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
The secret is definitely in watching how you spend the Suns (and to a lesser extent the Moons).

I also win this frequently--too frequently. So now I always throw in a Pawn face card just to make it harder. The other day I decided to throw in both of the Pawn face cards (without adding in the other 2 Pawns.) But I don't think I have won that way yet.

2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Racer
United States
Urbandale
Iowa
flag msg tools
Specialized Extracurricular Execution Squad
badge
We are living our lives... Abound with so much information... Come on, let go of the remote,
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Necro-post. zombie

I wonder if the OP's issue wasn't the same as mine. That is, not realizing you could mix suits when trying to capture a personality. For example, the Merchant's rank is 9 and his suits are leaves and knots. My first 10+ games I was trying to match just one of the suits (that is, all 9 knots or all 9 leaves) when instead I could have used a 6 of leaves and a 3 (or higher) of knots to satisfy the condition. Now that I realize that, the rules as written are obvious; however, I still think it could have benefited from an explicit example.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Racer
United States
Urbandale
Iowa
flag msg tools
Specialized Extracurricular Execution Squad
badge
We are living our lives... Abound with so much information... Come on, let go of the remote,
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
eracer68 wrote:
Now that I realize that, the rules as written are obvious; however, I still think it could have benefited from an explicit example.

Aha, just got my copy of the Revised and Expanded Decktet Book from LuLu and there is a specific example as well as some tips. Played my first two games with actual cards (all had been on my tablet so far) lost the first (score of 56) and won the second. Looking forward to trying out the different games.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will H.
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I won it on my fourth try, which would be about right with the 25% win percentage others have posted.

Spoiler (click to reveal)
Suns>>Moons>>other suits


Spoiler (click to reveal)
Spend the bare minimum in points to control a personality, although sometimes it can be to your benefit to spend two cards when one would do, simply to get more cards out.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David M
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
cogstockeros wrote:
Without the extended deck mixed in to add more 10's, can the game actually be beat with only the basic deck? It seems like I'm stuck at the end with one of the crown personalities (always the bard!!) but with no way to get enough resources to influence him.


I came to BGG with this very question. I played for almost an hour without winning, though got it down to a single personality card a few times.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniël Muilwijk
Netherlands
Zeist
Utrecht
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played this game a lot, always without the extended deck, and I think I've won 40%.
1 
 Thumb up
0.25
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.