Joe Robins
Denmark
flag msg tools
Hi,

first post!

So I recently picked up Memoir 44 but I am struggling to work out which expansion I should get first. Is there some kind of obvious choices I should be making with getting hold of them? Do some expansions require other expansions to use them effectively?

1. air pack?
2. Overlord?
3. terrain?

I am completely clueless!

I do like the idea of Overlord due to the size of the gaming group I am in, which would accommodate a decent amount of people. but I also read in the vanilla rules that you can technically play the base game with more than 2 players?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drazen Kramaric
Croatia
Zagreb
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For the first expansion I suggest you pick Eastern Front. You'll get set of Soviet units, some new scenarios and winter tiles.

If you're still hooked for the game then follow with the other two "armies' expansions", "Mediterranean Theatre" (adding British troops and desert scenarios and tiles) and "Pacific Theatre" (adding Japanese troops with tropic tiles and Pacific scenarios).

Overlord scenarios designed for six to up to eight players can be played with two base games with the downloadable rules. If you like it, you may proceed with the "Overlord Expansion" adding adapted set of cards and clarified rules.

If you got all of the above, then definitely consider purchasing the "Terrain Expansion" and Winter/Desert" map so that you can fill up the storage with terrain tiles and tokens as well as getting the ability to play Desert and Winter scenarios on the appropriate map.

"Airpack expansion" is the not among my favourite expansions. Personally, the only thing I like in it are the additional terrain tiles and tokens. The experience of my gaming group is that airplanes are rarely, if ever, used, even in scenarios that were designed for their use. Airplanes seem too vulnerable and too ineffective compared to the regular tactics. Sure, the expansion contains all the scenarios designed up to the date of publication, but most of them available online.

Campaign book is an excellent expansion giving plenty of scenarios as well as good rules connecting individual battles into three grand campaigns and myriad of smaller. Recommended.

Various battlemap expansions add more and more detailed rules and units that, in my opinion, add more chrome than substance to the game. However, given my collector's nature, I plan to eventually purchase all of them, but they are not on the top of my preferred Memoir products.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
JoeRobins wrote:
Hi,

first post!

So I recently picked up Memoir 44 but I am struggling to work out which expansion I should get first. Is there some kind of obvious choices I should be making with getting hold of them? Do some expansions require other expansions to use them effectively?

1. air pack?
2. Overlord?
3. terrain?

I am completely clueless!

I do like the idea of Overlord due to the size of the gaming group I am in, which would accommodate a decent amount of people. but I also read in the vanilla rules that you can technically play the base game with more than 2 players?

Read this post that is a week old and answers your question: Which expansion/expansions to buy?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oliver Graf
Germany
Koblenz
flag msg tools
designer
Help me! I got addicted to MtG again!
badge
Help me! I got addicted to MtG again!
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh, I totally forgot to tag those threads... Memoir Best Expansion tag
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JoeRobins wrote:
Is there some kind of obvious choices I should be making with getting hold of them?

Not obvious choices - it depends on what you prefer and how many expansions you are willing to buy. Most suggest Eastern Front as the first expansion though.

Read the threads others have linked to for more information. This question is very normal and very common.

Quote:
Do some expansions require other expansions to use them effectively?

Yes. Some require multiple expansions to be really useful. Look at this file:
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/filepage/60453/memoir44-require...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
john f stup
United States
damascus
Maryland
flag msg tools
mb
i don't think the air pack is worth the money. do get the eastern front. i wasn't to excited about the mediterranean theater front either for there are no 88's.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kent Reuber
United States
San Mateo
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
JoeRobins wrote:

If you want to do Overlord scenarios, you need a 2nd base set for the second board as well as for extra terrain and more figures. I'd definitely recommend purchasing the Memoir '44: Operation Overlord for the revised command cards; it makes Overlord easier to play.

I suppose you could play standard scenarios with Overlord rules. Have one player hold the cards then give each player a sector to command. (Or if playing with 2 players a side, let one player hold the cards and command the center while the other player plays the flank sectors.) The only problem is that players won't have many units to command in most scenarios.

Going forward if you're going to play double-board scenarios, you'll need to buy 2 copies of the theater packs. A single copy of the terrain pack is a good idea.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Bysouth
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
No...... not again already!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mark coomey
New Zealand
AUCKLAND
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
GroundHog day!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
eBob Miniatures
United Kingdom
Portsmouth
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I have several of the expansions..

I have Eastern Front, Pacific, Terrain Pack, the Desert/winter board and the Campaign book.

The Eastern Front expansion is good, but I think it really requires the Desert/winter board - otherwise it looks rather odd to have winter tiles on your green board - so bear that in mind.

Similarly, the Mediteranian expansion requires the Desert board.

I got the Terrain expansion so I could play the scenarios in the campaign book - so be aware that to complete the campaign book you require the terrain pack, the winter board and the Russian front expansion. That said, I really like the Campaign book and I enjoy just reading through it and the new rules for reinforcements etc and how it chains several games together into a nice set of campaigns.

The Overlord expansion is just a set of cardboard counters and a new deck of cards. And it doesn't even include a set of counters for British. You would still need another game board (someone correct me if I'm wrong) and if you have that, then surely you already have a second game and all the models - so I'm really clueless as to the point of this expansion. Ok - it has new rules - but you can download the rules as a pdf. I'm not convinced by this expansion - but admit that I don't own it.

The only expansion that truely works stand alone with just the original game is the Pacific expansion - and it includes some nice terrain and some good scenarios and new rules. The aggressive rules for the Japanese infantry are really nice.

So my suggestion is the Pacific expansion. The only downside is that certainly when I was looking for it, it was not easy to find. All the UK sellers had it marked as out of stock and unavailable, I'm not sure if it is still in print. However I was able to secure one from the States at a good price through good old Ebay - so with a little effort it can be obtained.

Most of the other expansions like Tigers in the Snow and suchlike seem to be aimed at Overlord scenarios - and since they really require two original games and possibly two Eastern Front packs to play them properly - you're gonna need a credit card with a fair bit of room on it and several friends as keen as you are - I have trouble finding just one.

By the far the least interesting expansion to my mind is the Airpack - which having read the rules online has in my view a very weak set of rules and a truely miserable looking set of models despite being pre-painted. The Memoir models are not the best feature of the game generally and the airpack doesn't help any.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Taylor
United States
Venice
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My experience has been that you really need to get them in the order they were published.

The scenarios that need expansions refer to the each other in generally in the order they were published.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jfkoski
United States
Cary
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I found I loved the Terrain Pack, but there weren't enough new scenarios.

I don't care much for Air Rules, now that I've finally gotten around to playing the Air Pack. They did update a lot of scenarios to also use tiles from the Terrain Pack (roads), but they are Classified!

I got Breakthrough, but you pretty much need all the expansions.

I started playing Overlord after my buddy bought a second copy of the game, but the Overlord Pack doesn't have any scenarios! Also, the good expansion maps are out of print!

The first six scenarios with Winter Wars aren't many, but you don't need other expansions (Unless you count Desert/Winter board). Certainly I wouldn't buy the Desert/Winter board without Winter Wars. There are four scenarios for the Breakthrough winter board too.

So, I don't think buying only ONE of these expansions would satisfy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
john f stup
United States
damascus
Maryland
flag msg tools
mb
remember that not all the soviet war was fought in the snow, in fact probably most of it,especially the main campaigns were fought during spring and summer and early fall. i felt kind of strange playing a summer scenario on a white board, but the aesthetics are good.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.